fat guy no more! - Page 30 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #581
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,056
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Since I'm not going to go back and read all of it, what's the times for Saturday?
noon on
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #582
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I agree that I am overweight because I allowed myself to be. But making a statement of "sitting on their asses and stuffing their face", to me gives a visual of someone gorging themselves like a ravenous pig, which for most of us, is not the case.

I have never made, nor will I make an excuse for being overweight other than saying when gaining a couple pounds per year, for the first few years, you don't really think about it. It's not an excuse to say that life gets in the way and exercise is not always the top priority. For me, I went from a shop job where I was always active to a desk job. Eating a donut on Friday in the shop was never an issue. With a desk job, it became one over time. Same with going out on Friday night and having a few beers. After a couple/three years, being up 10 pounds from where you were when you got married doesn't seem to be a big deal. Then work picks up, kid responsibilities, whatever happen and another 10 years pass and shit, now what do I do? It's not an excuse, it's what happened. But I never sat on my ass feeding my face in the way you insinuate.

You are fortunate that at a young age, you figured it out, became aware, whatever, and you have a wife that enjoys the same routines you do. You should be better off health wise for that. But, not all of us fit that scenario and we let our weight get the best of us. Sad but true.

Being cynical when you haven't been there puts you in an easy place to criticize. Making fun of people who are facing one of the hardest things they have ever faced is not a cool thing to do. I've viewed this thread as inspirational to most who are struggling with weight. Hancho's post was supportive. Yours was not.


You make good points. I guess my view of "overweight" people is skewed by watching the biggest loser where they show clips of those folks at home pigging out like a madman.

Let me just say this, the definition of being "overweight" should probably not be used, we should probably consider a more medically related term for my example. Like "obese".

There was a time, where like many people who struggle with obesity, I lost the motivation to exercise, didn't watch what I ate, and my % body fat was "dangerously" high. I didn't weigh 240lbs, I didn't even weigh 200lbs anymore. Most people didn't think I was "fat" because at 5-10 190-195lbs I didn't look "fat". But I was hovering around 25% bodyfat and a BMI of 25-30. Keep in mind Obesity is a definition that measures percent bodyfat and is proven to show that you are at higher risk of health troubles due to the increase in bodyfat.

So no, I may never have been 300+ lbs, but I've been in a position where I was carrying much more bodyfat than is healthy and had to do something about it myself.

That said, if you sit down and take the time to actually measure and weigh your food and calculate your exact calories at each meal, per day, including donuts and beers and otherwise, you may be VERY surprised about how much you are actually "stuffing" your face with food. Most people don't realize how badly they are over eating and why they are gaining a few pounds each year and exactly how they are gaining it.

I have a set of calipers and test my % bodyfat. What surprises me is how quickly my % bodyfat can creap up towards obesity levels with minimal changes in my bodyweight or outward appearence in clothes. As an example you may have only gained 2 lbs, but you may have lost 5-10 lbs of muscle due to atrophy (from switching to the desk job and not using those muscles you did before) and had actually gained that back in body fat as well.

It only takes 2 weeks for muscle atrophy to set in due to inactivity. Remember how sore you are at the beginning of every waterskiing season? That's muscle atrophy showing its face because you haven't used those muscles in months.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #583
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,056
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
You make good points. I guess my view of "overweight" people is skewed by watching the biggest loser where they show clips of those folks at home pigging out like a madman.

Let me just say this, the definition of being "overweight" should probably not be used, we should probably consider a more medically related term for my example. Like "obese".

There was a time, where like many people who struggle with obesity, I lost the motivation to exercise, didn't watch what I ate, and my % body fat was "dangerously" high. I didn't weigh 240lbs, I didn't even weigh 200lbs anymore. Most people didn't think I was "fat" because at 5-10 190-195lbs I didn't look "fat". But I was hovering around 25% bodyfat and a BMI of 25-30. Keep in mind Obesity is a definition that measures percent bodyfat and is proven to show that you are at higher risk of health troubles due to the increase in bodyfat.

So no, I may never have been 300+ lbs, but I've been in a position where I was carrying much more bodyfat than is healthy and had to do something about it myself.

That said, if you sit down and take the time to actually measure and weigh your food and calculate your exact calories at each meal, per day, including donuts and beers and otherwise, you may be VERY surprised about how much you are actually "stuffing" your face with food. Most people don't realize how badly they are over eating and why they are gaining a few pounds each year and exactly how they are gaining it.

I have a set of calipers and test my % bodyfat. What surprises me is how quickly my % bodyfat can creap up towards obesity levels with minimal changes in my bodyweight or outward appearence in clothes. As an example you may have only gained 2 lbs, but you may have lost 5-10 lbs of muscle due to atrophy (from switching to the desk job and not using those muscles you did before) and had actually gained that back in body fat as well.

It only takes 2 weeks for muscle atrophy to set in due to inactivity. Remember how sore you are at the beginning of every waterskiing season? That's muscle atrophy showing its face because you haven't used those muscles in months.
so are you going to stop over sat? .............................just to let you know I will probably have some beers and may also have some pizza
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #584
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
so are you going to stop over sat? .............................just to let you know I will probably have some beers and may also have some pizza
What is Saturday? This saturday? Maybe can do in the afternoon? Wife invited people over for a christmas party that night.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #585
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,056
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
What is Saturday? This saturday? Maybe can do in the afternoon? Wife invited people over for a christmas party that night.
my birthday party/wheeling day .......and jims
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #586
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
my birthday party/wheeling day .......and jims
well, you called me a dick.

What time does the birthday party start?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #587
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
I don't know if I'd call him a dick,........he's more of a narcisistic @$$.

.........but that's why we love him ............. he keeps me on the straight and narrow pathway.

meh, more just frustration of someone who trains people, is married to someone who trains people and gets frustrated with the amount of people who pay us to do a job, then ignore every bit of advice we give them, don't make any progress, and then just quit because its easier that way. Then turn around and wonder why they have health problems and are over weight.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #588
cornfed
I have an avatar. Yippee.
 
cornfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Happy Funtown U.S.A.
Posts: 4,121
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Tomorrow is the big day. 34 inch incision, and some loose skin going bye bye!

I've decided I'm going to get a few belts made from the skin.
I read this as I am watching a biography about Ed Gein.

Good luck with your procedure.
cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #589
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,447
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
meh, more just frustration of someone who trains people, is married to someone who trains people and gets frustrated with the amount of people who pay us to do a job, then ignore every bit of advice we give them, don't make any progress, and then just quit because its easier that way. Then turn around and wonder why they have health problems and are over weight.
You have to realize that either people are in denial, are self destructive, or just don't care if they argue what is known and logical. I would say I was the first two and I often times tried to manage stress or emotions with food. While I do think that sugar can be addictive I am not sure I want to label it a disease. It is a behavior that a person can control if they have the will power.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #590
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
It is a behavior that a person can control if they have the will power.
Can't that be said for almost any addiction? Alcohol, tobacco, etc.

Many have been caught in that trap of "one more, I'll start tomorrow". Food is no different.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #591
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,447
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Can't that be said for almost any addiction? Alcohol, tobacco, etc.

Many have been caught in that trap of "one more, I'll start tomorrow". Food is no different.
I guess that is true but I hate that it is being labeled a disease. I also hate that people think it's easier and cheaper to eat fast food or processed food than to eat healthy. If you portion control the cost isn't much higher even if you eat organic.
It took about 15 minutes tonight to make wraps and baked asparagus tonight for dinner. You can't drive to mcds and back in that time.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #592
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
You have to realize that either people are in denial, are self destructive, or just don't care if they argue what is known and logical. I would say I was the first two and I often times tried to manage stress or emotions with food..
I realized that a long time ago. That's why I don't feel bad about it in 99% of cases. Its also why im not too upset that Jim felt I was a bit harsh. Sometimes blunt force trauma is the only way to get through to people.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #593
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed View Post
I read this as I am watching a biography about Ed Gein.

Good luck with your procedure.


Thanks man!
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #594
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

8.7lbs of health food on the way!

Last edited by FlatFender; December 18th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #595
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I've been outta the hospital since yesterday afternoon. Surgery went very well. I was in for five hours and about seven pounds of skin was removed.

Once I heal up a bit more, I'll post some before and after pics. Moving is still somewhat of a bitch.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #596
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I've been outta the hospital since yesterday afternoon. Surgery went very well. I was in for five hours and about seven pounds of skin was removed.

Once I heal up a bit more, I'll post some before and after pics. Moving is still somewhat of a bitch.
How much weight did you lose?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #597
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
How much weight did you lose?
About 100-120 lbs.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #598
Quagmire
I can has layinframe
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: 48346
Posts: 5,039
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Quagmire
Default

This was a good read, last year when my daughter was born I was a fat assed 285 lbs. I cut out fast food started packing a healthy lunch everyday, and really concentrated on eating more veggies and lean protiens. I am now a whopping 197lbs and have yet to actually work out. Healthy eating is the key.
__________________
Google first.....ask questions later
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Actually, the new rule of thumb is you should make your tires bulge slightly more then skooterbuilt when he's wearing his tight ladies pants
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #599
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,056
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
This was a good read, last year when my daughter was born I was a fat assed 285 lbs. I cut out fast food started packing a healthy lunch everyday, and really concentrated on eating more veggies and lean protiens. I am now a whopping 197lbs and have yet to actually work out. Healthy eating is the key.
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:36 PM   #600
BeaverTown
Cuck Fancer
 
BeaverTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-09
Location: Hemlock, MI
Posts: 1,304
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to BeaverTown
Default

All this weight loss has me inspired. I'm about 250 lbs right now and would like to get under 200 for my wedding in July. I threw out all the junk in the fridge last weekend, cut out soda, and am eating right. Excercise is what I need to focus on though. For those of you that have done it is P90X a viable alternative to the gym?
BeaverTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Tags
meballs, nomorefatguy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.41004 seconds with 81 queries