Best Budget Home Theater Speaker System? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,977
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default Best Budget Home Theater Speaker System?

Been meaning to upgrade my home theater speakers for a while and need some advice. I already have a good receiver so Im not looking for one of the all in one kits with the dvd/receiver combo. Just speakers.

Looking at $400 max for this. Need the fronts, front center channel, rear center channel, and rear surrounds. I already have a powered subwoofer.

What speakers would you recommend in that price range?

I also thought about trying out one of those new all-in-one sound bars just to clean up all the wires/appearance. Thoughts on those?
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,515
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Been meaning to upgrade my home theater speakers for a while and need some advice. I already have a good receiver so Im not looking for one of the all in one kits with the dvd/receiver combo. Just speakers.

Looking at $400 max for this. Need the fronts, front center channel, rear center channel, and rear surrounds. I already have a powered subwoofer.

What speakers would you recommend in that price range?

I also thought about trying out one of those new all-in-one sound bars just to clean up all the wires/appearance. Thoughts on those?
Read here:

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/theater-audio/
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,977
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default

Just ordered the Energy 5.1 for $299.99.

Thank you sir.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,339
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

I read the reviews, and I'm betting the reason for refurbished speaker being priced higher than new is because they have to clean semen stains off the cabinets.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
unleashed
Senior Member
 
unleashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-08
Location: Albright Shores MI
Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I know a lady that has a Samsung sound bar, she paid right around $100 for it and it's great!! Very good sound. Nice looking, just maybe 5 or 6 inches high. I was quite impressed with it.
unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,302
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

imho......one of the common traps in making this type decision is the sound room at the retailer. they can compare systems at will with the flip of a switch and you are astounded by the differences.

however, remember that at home there is only one system and one room. there is NOTHING to compare your home system with, therefore, whatever you get is going to sound GREAT!

same goes for all those gold plated / high end cables the will want you to buy. when you get home, it's not going to make a lick of difference to your ear unless you are a professional sound producer

Last edited by jimhri; March 21st, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,339
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

I gots me sum jensen 3 way speekers in tha loominum boxes.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Fatty Matty
Senior Member
 
Fatty Matty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-05-06
Location: Tecumseh
Posts: 5,358
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You need to buy your gear from the guys in the van in the parking lot at the strip mall.
__________________
'12 JKU
'14 1500
www.midwest-abs.com
Fatty Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #9
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,339
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
You need to buy your gear from the guys in the van in the parking lot at the strip mall.
Yeah, the dude in the warehouse put too many on the truck, there's no paperwork on em so they'll give you an awsome deal.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Wehan
Senior Member
 
Wehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-07-06
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Infinity primus, a little more than your limit but we'll worth it. I also have 6.1 and have contemplated on just getting 2 pair of bookshelf speakers 1 for surrounds and the other for center and rear center.

Just for Schweeb
__________________

Last edited by Wehan; March 21st, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,339
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

And Beyond.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:55 PM   #12
1TFROT
Senior Member
 
1TFROT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: chi-town
Posts: 1,315
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhri View Post
imho......one of the common traps in making this type decision is the sound room at the retailer. they can compare systems at will with the flip of a switch and you are astounded by the differences.

however, remember that at home there is only one system and one room. there is NOTHING to compare your home system with, therefore, whatever you get is going to sound GREAT!

same goes for all those gold plated / high end cables the will want you to buy. when you get home, it's not going to make a lick of difference to your ear unless you are a professional sound producer

this actually helps imo. I must have spent alteast 40 mins in one of those rooms in a Best Buy until I figured out what setup to get. made it real easy to compare the same music on different speakers.

ended up with Martin Logan stuff and am very happy with them (I already had the 5.1 receiver)
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #13
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,302
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post
ended up with Martin Logan stuff and am very happy with them (I already had the 5.1 receiver)
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:21 AM   #14
nickb304
Senior Member
 
nickb304's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: jackson/mi
Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You guys lost me at receivers. Budget is my $30 Wal-Mart speaker/subwoofer kit for a computer plugged into the back of my $2100 led flat screen. I am either the polar opposite of an audiophile or a backwoods hill jack. I’ll leave that up for debate.
nickb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM   #15
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,493
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

My Onkyo 7.1 system sounds sweet. paid $450 for it about 4 years ago from ABC.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #16
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,339
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb304 View Post
You guys lost me at receivers. Budget is my $30 Wal-Mart speaker/subwoofer kit for a computer plugged into the back of my $2100 led flat screen. I am either the polar opposite of an audiophile or a backwoods hill jack. Iíll leave that up for debate.
Or like me, where your hearing has degenerated to the point where you can't tell the difference anymore.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM   #17
04PSD
aka Langford
 
04PSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: La Salle, MI
Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My first "budget" system was a klipsch quintet 5.1 surround...it was a really nice setup for the price. You can pick them up for around $300 online now
04PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.26195 seconds with 71 queries