Discuss. (another religion thread, so we're not mucking up Immortal's) - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #81
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'm not saying that having faith means you have a overwhelming lack of knowledge, I'm just saying that you have a lack of KNOWledge in the thing that you have faith in. I.e. do you KNOW for a fact, that god exists. I'll answer for you, no. If you did KNOW, you wouldn't need faith, you would already have knowledge. knowledge > faith.
I can answer this, Does God exist? Yes, God does exist to me and other Christians.
By having faith in Him, he reveals Himself to those that believe in Him.
You don't believe that is why he does not show Himself to you.
If you just got on board and stopped over thinking everything and just had a little "faith" that He is here and does exist then we could move on to bigger and better things.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #82
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,551
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I've talked to enough Islamic people, even debated with them, to understand thier faith. What I've learned from them (and I did learn from them instead of telling them they were wrong) was that I like Christianity better because of what it brings to the table. That And those expierences I've had have lined up with the Christian God more so then the Islamic one.
Using this reasoning I have to go with Buddhism.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #83
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I can answer this, Does God exist? Yes, God does exist to me and other Christians.
By having faith in Him, he reveals Himself to those that believe in Him.
You don't believe that is why he does not show Himself to you.
If you just got on board and stopped over thinking everything and just had a little "faith" that He is here and does exist then we could move on to bigger and better things.
Abe, you brought up some great topics.

Can something exist for one person and not for another?

Does it make sense to believe in something before you know it exists, so it will then manifest?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #84
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Perception is reality to the observer.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #85
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Abe, you brought up some great topics.

Can something exist for one person and not for another?

Does it make sense to believe in something before you know it exists, so it will then manifest?
Yes and no. God does exist for me because I believe in Him and He choose to reveal Himself to me only after I accepted Him for who He said He was through His word.
He does not exist to you because you do not believe. Just because he does not exist to you does not mean He does not exist.
Like I said before, accept it for what it is and don't over think it or try and make it make sense to you because you can't. Thats why you don't believe, you can't make it fit into your box.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #86
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Abe, you brought up some great topics.

Can something exist for one person and not for another?

Does it make sense to believe in something before you know it exists, so it will then manifest?
I would say no. Just because you don't believe in it, or accept it, doesn't make it non-existent. My son can't comprehend how his digestive system works bit he still poops.

This is my concern with people who rationalize that God can't be real because he doesn't fit thier opinion of what God should be like.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #87
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Like I said before, accept it for what it is and don't over think it or try and make it make sense to you because you can't. Thats why you don't believe, you can't make it fit into your box.
Abe, what made you finally accept it? I can tell from some of your other posts, that its easier for you to believe things that don't make sense and you don't spend a lot of time trying to "over think" things.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #88
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Abe, what made you finally accept it? I can tell from some of your other posts, that its easier for you to believe things that don't make sense and you don't spend a lot of time trying to "over think" things.
Is this a trick question?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #89
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Is this a trick question?
No. It's 1/2 legit question, "what convinced you?" and 1/2 giving you crap for telling me not to try to make sense of something or "overthink" it before I believe it. In my crazy "worldview" things should make sense before they are believed.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #90
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
No. It's 1/2 legit question, "what convinced you?" and 1/2 giving you crap for telling me not to try to make sense of something or "overthink" it before I believe it. In my crazy "worldview" things should make sense before they are believed.
Ok, my wife and her family are Christian. After being with her and her family I realized something different and everything seemed to make sense. I would question things trying to discount or discredit but I could not. Everything seemed to make sense So I just went for it. Still questioning as I went along for the ride. I have had no regrets. I don't miss my old life and my new life is great.
There was nothing I could do to change the outcome by accepting Christ or denying Him. It's not somethig you can touch or see. If it was I would have control over it. Its a spiritual thing.
I can see you overthinking things if you can control the outcome and get what you want. You can't control what you can't see. If you can't see it, how can you make sense of it?
With God you can't control the outcome, so why fight it? Give it all to Him and allow Him to lead you.
We all tend to want to be in control of our lives and do what we want. Its like letting a two year old do whatever they want. It can be dangerous to them, that is why as parents we help and guide them to do what is better for them.
God is our heavenly Father and we are His children.
By making the choice to follow Christ will only allow Him to show you what you are missing. It will not hurt you to take a serious look at what He has to offer.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #91
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

So, you're wife's family is Christian and seemed different(in a good way, I'm assuming) and that convinced you that Christianity is true? No special event or intervention from Jesus or God?

What background did you come from that was so different than your wife?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #92
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
So, you're wife's family is Christian and seemed different(in a good way, I'm assuming) and that convinced you that Christianity is true? No special event or intervention from Jesus or God?

What background did you come from that was so different than your wife?
I believed in God as a child but never knew Him. I grew up and did my own thing, work, party and never gave it much thought. I did think that I did not need Him and thought that weak people needed help and Jesus. I did not, I was strong and could do things on my own.
I guess I could say what Jesus did for me was He took away the urge for pot and beer, cusing and swearing. It has all left me and I have no desire for it, even though it was a huge part of my life for more that 20 years. You can't just break habits over night, ask anybody who has an addiction.
Little did I know that I was in bondage or slave to sin. Lust, drunkeness, greed and everything else that we as sinners fall into.
To be free from those things that hold us back or being in relation with God we only need to ask to be forgiven and allow Jesus to help us with what keeps us from Him.
Lets look at God as light and sin as darkness. If we have known sin in our lives and look at it as something we enjoy, God cannot be with us. If we ask God to remove what is not of Him He can reveal what needs to go in order to be in a right relationship with Him. It's not about religion, It's about relationship.
It's hard to explain because He can touch you in a personal way that only you can know He is there. Reveals personal things that only you in your mind can think of and only you know. There is a spirit realm and the battlefield in usually in your mind(overthinking and trying to figure out the things that don't make sense).
I hope that answered your question.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #93
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I believed in God as a child but never knew Him. I grew up and did my own thing, work, party and never gave it much thought. I did think that I did not need Him and thought that weak people needed help and Jesus. I did not, I was strong and could do things on my own.
I guess I could say what Jesus did for me was He took away the urge for pot and beer, cusing and swearing. It has all left me and I have no desire for it, even though it was a huge part of my life for more that 20 years. You can't just break habits over night, ask anybody who has an addiction.
Little did I know that I was in bondage or slave to sin. Lust, drunkeness, greed and everything else that we as sinners fall into.
To be free from those things that hold us back or being in relation with God we only need to ask to be forgiven and allow Jesus to help us with what keeps us from Him.
Lets look at God as light and sin as darkness. If we have known sin in our lives and look at it as something we enjoy, God cannot be with us. If we ask God to remove what is not of Him He can reveal what needs to go in order to be in a right relationship with Him. It's not about religion, It's about relationship.
It's hard to explain because He can touch you in a personal way that only you can know He is there. Reveals personal things that only you in your mind can think of and only you know. There is a spirit realm and the battlefield in usually in your mind(overthinking and trying to figure out the things that don't make sense).
I hope that answered your question.
I believed in God as a child as well (because most young kids believe what they are told), but what made you really believe it? You stopped smoking pot and drinking and that caused you to believe? I'm looking for the spark/event/realization that made you go from non-believer to believer.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #94
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I believed in God as a child as well (because most young kids believe what they are told), but what made you really believe it? You stopped smoking pot and drinking and that caused you to believe? I'm looking for the spark/event/realization that made you go from non-believer to believer.
The spark/event/realization that you are looking for only God can reveal that to you.
It's the emptyness or void you have, that has been filled, it's the peace and feeling of being content that you never had before moment.
It's like that all of a sudden the light buld gets turned on sort of moment. It's a personal thing that cannot be explained. Its what you get out of a deep personal relationship. It's when somebody finally gets you and knows you even deeper that your wife.
It's something you need to experience for yourself and I believe you know how to go about that.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #95
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
The spark/event/realization that you are looking for only God can reveal that to you.
It's the emptyness or void you have, that has been filled, it's the peace and feeling of being content that you never had before moment.
It's like that all of a sudden the light buld gets turned on sort of moment. It's a personal thing that cannot be explained. Its what you get out of a deep personal relationship. It's when somebody finally gets you and knows you even deeper that your wife.
It's something you need to experience for yourself and I believe you know how to go about that.
I don't have any emptiness that needs to be filled, that I know of.

Has God spoken to you, is that how you know he knows you better than your wife knows you? What did he say?

How do I go about experiencing it for myself?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #96
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,551
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
even though it was a huge part of my life for more that 20 years.
For some reason I thought you were a youngster...
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #97
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't have any emptiness that needs to be filled, that I know of.


Many people think they are fine and most are but they tend to fill that void with shopping, drinking and other things to excess only to find themselves wanting more after they finish. Always wanting more and never getting enough. Jesus can fill the void that was put there that only He can fill.
Has God spoken to you, is that how you know he knows you better than your wife knows you? What did he say?


Yes God has spoken to me. I can tell you of one time that really rocked my world.
I was praying for a few people that I know and began to drift off to sleep. I just got to that point where you're almost there, you know. All of a sudden, I guess you could say a vision. I saw what I percieved as Christ standing there in a long white robe and saying to me, "if you say you love me , why do you keep me at arms length? As he was saying this He outstreched His arm with his hand toward me with his palm out, as one would prevent another from getting to close.
I woke up, real fast and thought, was that for the person I was praying for or was that for me. I knew God was telling ME something.


How do I go about experiencing it for myself?
The only way you can experience Jesus and what He has in store for you is to accept Him for who He is and ask Him to be a part of your everyday life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
For some reason I thought you were a youngster...
I think I'm not far behind you.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #98
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You think you don't have have a void to be filled until the day you realize how empty you are.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #99
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,858
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post

Yes God has spoken to me. I can tell you of one time that really rocked my world.
I was praying for a few people that I know and began to drift off to sleep. I just got to that point where you're almost there, you know. All of a sudden, I guess you could say a vision. I saw what I percieved as Christ standing there in a long white robe and saying to me, "if you say you love me , why do you keep me at arms length? As he was saying this He outstreched His arm with his hand toward me with his palm out, as one would prevent another from getting to close.
I woke up, real fast and thought, was that for the person I was praying for or was that for me. I knew God was telling ME something.

.
I'll keep an eye out for a similar situation. I wonder though, if I chose to believe in some other deity, I might be thinking about that particular one a lot, and then see that one in a dream?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #100
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,229
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'll keep an eye out for a similar situation. I wonder though, if I chose to believe in some other deity, I might be thinking about that particular one a lot, and then see that one in a dream?
There is only One true and living God and that is Jesus Christ by which we are saved.
It is Jesus you would pray to and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.
No other deity can do anything for you. Jesus answers prayers, Jesus heals and He is the only One who can save you.
Press in my friend and ask.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.41391 seconds with 80 queries