Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Transfer case problems!!!

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Symmes 
#1 ·
Ok we were wheeling, we went up a mound of dirt to flex in my friends 3/4 ton suburban. The transfer case popped out of gear and will not go back in. What could the problems be? It wont go into 4 low or hi, but it sounds like it is trying to engage when you put it into revedrse but it will not go in. Were not shur on what transfer case he has. Its a 94 3/4 ton suburban with the 454 and the 700r4 trans if that helps at all or if these have a know history of breaking?
thanks
jake

#3 ·
Check the linkage to the t-case if that is all right and not tweeked. Pull the shift arm off and try to manually put it in 4wd. Do this with the engine NOT running. If it still does not go then I would say you have broken a shift fork inside the t-case.

You say it is a 94- Then you have a 241 t-case and a 4L60E trans not the 700r4.

#4 ·
the link on those is just pressed into a plastic one way clip. It could have pulled out and is just laying on top of the T case. the other posibility is the thing gauled the shift ring in the trans and it won't glide on the sycro anymore, I have done lots of those where guys have tried to shift the T case under power. it takes a lot of time and effort to repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.