Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #61
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,330
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Living on the lake I never had a grill last more than 3 yrs. Moisture kills burners and anything not made of stainless steel. It's amazing how much faster stuff rusts sitting 10' from a permanent water source. I think my cover hindered more than it helped. I have a stainless grill that had some non stainless mixed in here and there and that stuff has all rusted away leaving me with a SS shell. I'll be picking up another grill this spring so keep the feedback coming.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #62
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,315
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I will agree since my grill also is only a dew years old, near the lake and outside. Just tapped it with the snowblower and it slowly tipped over and when i got out to pick it all up the manifold has snapped off but the whole thing was rusty and flimsy. Looks like im grill shopping too.
montecarlo33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #63
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,745
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

I am going to jump on the also grill shopping bandwagon. I already know I want to go NG, but not sure which model/brand. Weber seems to be leading the charge.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #64
swampjeep
Swamp Stomper
 
swampjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Waterford, mi
Posts: 7,658
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudy View Post
thanks for the advice. might pick up a cheap grill to tide me over and save for a weber or try and find a good used one
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/3605980287.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/3549204917.html
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #65
swampjeep
Swamp Stomper
 
swampjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Waterford, mi
Posts: 7,658
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suta99 View Post
I have had a stainless char-broil for 3 years now and it has been outside and uncovered since new. It got hit by a tornado and both doors and handle we're ripped off. I welded it all back together and it works flawlessly. One burner is starting to show signs of not burning properly but could possibly just be dirty. I'm not saying its a great grill but if it lasts another season it will only cost me about $50 a year.
I am kinda excited to see it go just so I can upgrade to a charcoal grill/ smoker setup. I have been debating building my own but have yet to decide if that is a economical solution or not.
so how does that compare to a Weber that lasts 20+ years
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #66
caveman
Club Pen15
 
caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-06
Location: Sturgis MI.
Posts: 2,381
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So I am now also in the market looking at Infrared grills and I'm asking myself whats the difference if I just go buy a cheap walmart grill and put a broiler pan in it and cook off that? Seems like it would do the same thing the infrared offers no?

The pan would keep grease off the burners and they should stay clean and last longer.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #67
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,745
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Thoughts on Brinkman brand?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #68
caveman
Club Pen15
 
caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-06
Location: Sturgis MI.
Posts: 2,381
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Thoughts on Brinkman brand?
Dunhams has one on sale for $130. Ends today. I'm pondering it.
My friend has one going on year 3. Outside 24/7. Not sure if it's ever been cleaned. Just cooked on it a few days ago but it looks rough.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #69
Rx7Kevin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-26-12
Location: MI
Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Weber, its worth the initial investment - you get your return.
Rx7Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #70
Porter
.........................
 
Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-11-07
Location: Romeo
Posts: 16,568
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7kevin View Post
weber, its worth the initial investment - you get your return.
x 1000000000
__________________
Dirty Minds Jeep Club

DMJC WEBSITE


Quote:
Originally Posted by rangell View Post
Wondering why I bought a YJ.....
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #71
Easy_E
Web Wheeler !
 
Easy_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-07
Location: St Johns Mi
Posts: 1,080
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7Kevin View Post
Weber, its worth the initial investment - you get your return.
We sell weber grills at work and can special order parts for all other brands. Once you talk to buyers about the quality differences and parts availability they will choose weber.
I bought my current weber 15 years ago and it still works great.
I would like one of the new SS models but I kinda like to get some more use from this one. Other than replacing the flavor bars again I think it would go twenty years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Easy_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #72
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,886
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_E View Post
We sell weber grills at work and can special order parts for all other brands. Once you talk to buyers about the quality differences and parts availability they will choose weber.
I bought my current weber 15 years ago and it still works great.
I would like one of the new SS models but I kinda like to get some more use from this one. Other than replacing the flavor bars again I think it would go twenty years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Weber here also. I just picked up a NG E330 a few weeks back and Im glad I did. Its a nice grill.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #73
Easy_E
Web Wheeler !
 
Easy_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-07
Location: St Johns Mi
Posts: 1,080
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
Weber here also. I just picked up a NG E330 a few weeks back and Im glad I did. Its a nice grill.
You will enjoy that grill for many years. They haven't changed that design much in fifteen years. The cooking grates are the same size they went to one row of flavor bars instead of two. Our grill is on our deck facing south west and its a wind tunnel. With the open bottom it seems to still work ok in strong wind but with the closed bottom like yours it should heat better .
If you like the Beer Butt chickens we remove the grates and set the cooking pan right on the flavor bars so you can close the lid. You have to dial the heat down some but you have a built in temp gauge.
Some wood chips in a tuna can will give you smoked flavor. I set it on the bars also just make sure and burn off the coating first.

Last edited by Easy_E; May 8th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Easy_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #74
creeping death
I'm that guy.
 
creeping death's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: MUSKEGON, MI. 49442
Posts: 7,736
iTrader: (76)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

http://www.chargriller.com/index.php...emart&Itemid=1

Not gas but I've Been using this grill for many years and sure I'll be using it for many more.
__________________
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker.
creeping death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #75
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,152
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_E View Post
You will enjoy that grill for many years. They haven't changed that design much in fifteen years. The cooking grates are the same size they went to one row of flavor bars instead of two. Our grill is on our deck facing south west and its a wind tunnel. With the open bottom it seems to still work ok in strong wind but with the closed bottom like yours it should heat better .
If you like the Beer Butt chickens we remove the grates and set the cooking pan right on the flavor bars so you can close the lid. You have to dial the heat down some but you have a built in temp gauge.
Some wood chips in a tuna can will give you smoked flavor. I set it on the bars also just make sure and burn off the coating first.
They make these if you don't want to scrounge up tuna cans



Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #76
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,315
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
I will agree since my grill also is only a dew years old, near the lake and outside. Just tapped it with the snowblower and it slowly tipped over and when i got out to pick it all up the manifold has snapped off but the whole thing was rusty and flimsy. Looks like im grill shopping too.
yup.....still need a grill. I found a free one on CL, called the lady and she said yup it works great, we just don't eat meat anymore. Brought it home and can only get a small blue flame out of it. Looks like im going grill shopping this weekend.
montecarlo33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #77
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 10,461
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeping death View Post
http://www.chargriller.com/index.php...emart&Itemid=1

Not gas but I've Been using this grill for many years and sure I'll be using it for many more.
I just bought that one a month ago....love it!
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #78
creeping death
I'm that guy.
 
creeping death's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: MUSKEGON, MI. 49442
Posts: 7,736
iTrader: (76)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
I just bought that one a month ago....love it!
Me too, it will last you a long time. Going to replace the thermostat and wood on it this year with oak and give the grill a fresh coat of paint.
__________________
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker.
creeping death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.28868 seconds with 46 queries