Michigan gun manufacturers? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
3stratman
Let's Go Red Wings!
 
3stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-27-08
Location: Michigan
Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Michigan gun manufacturers?

A gun bill that is being worked on in Michigan has something in it that says "A personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Michigan and that remains within the borders of Michigan is not subject to federal law or federal regulation". Are there even any gun or ammo manufacturers in the state of Michigan at all, or is this a trick that will bite us all in the ass?
3stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-01-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

http://rifenbarkarmory.com/Custom_Firearms.html
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,326
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Are fully automatics illegal according to the state of mi?
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,055
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Are fully automatics illegal according to the state of mi?
They are legal just very expensive due to all the paperwork bs.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
3stratman
Let's Go Red Wings!
 
3stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-27-08
Location: Michigan
Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

IDK, it seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on us, resulting in gun control that they hope no one figures out. Think about it: No major firearm manufacturers in Michigan, only small, custom builders; instead of cheaper, mass produced firearms from large companies, only custom built weapons from the custom builders; high dollar custom builds = most people not being able to buy new firearms. Kind of the same way of thinking with the super high taxes on ammo that have been proposed: make it too expensive for most people to be able to buy.

I don't think the "Made In Michigan" provision helps us at all.
3stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #6
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,501
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stratman View Post
IDK, it seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on us, resulting in gun control that they hope no one figures out. Think about it: No major firearm manufacturers in Michigan, only small, custom builders; instead of cheaper, mass produced firearms from large companies, only custom built weapons from the custom builders; high dollar custom builds = most people not being able to buy new firearms. Kind of the same way of thinking with the super high taxes on ammo that have been proposed: make it too expensive for most people to be able to buy.

I don't think the "Made In Michigan" provision helps us at all.
It would seem to allow the use of 3D printers to make gun parts privately.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #7
3stratman
Let's Go Red Wings!
 
3stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-27-08
Location: Michigan
Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
It would seem to allow the use of 3D printers to make gun parts privately.
Yeah, because everybody can just do that.
3stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,501
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stratman View Post
Yeah, because everybody can just do that.
Yes, you can. For less than the current price of an AR-15, you can buy the printer, computer, raw material, and start printing receivers.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
schweeb
spelling nazi
 
schweeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 2,565
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stratman View Post
IDK, it seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on us, resulting in gun control that they hope no one figures out. Think about it: No major firearm manufacturers in Michigan, only small, custom builders; instead of cheaper, mass produced firearms from large companies, only custom built weapons from the custom builders; high dollar custom builds = most people not being able to buy new firearms. Kind of the same way of thinking with the super high taxes on ammo that have been proposed: make it too expensive for most people to be able to buy.

I don't think the "Made In Michigan" provision helps us at all.
It's not pulling a fast one. It's basically meant to be a "fuck you" to any Federal legislation that may get snuck through - basically, they're trying to start a State's Rights issue that would have to go to court.
schweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #10
dougstephvoor
Supreme Chancelor!
 
dougstephvoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Saranac/Michigan
Posts: 2,230
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default that right fuck you

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweeb View Post
It's not pulling a fast one. It's basically meant to be a "fuck you" to any Federal legislation that may get snuck through - basically, they're trying to start a State's Rights issue that would have to go to court.
That's right fukc them communist/socialist/fascist/neocentric/racebates

Their the worst kind.
__________________
Supreme Chancellor!
dougstephvoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Swampdog02
Wakley Creek Wacos!
 
Swampdog02's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-09
Location: Horton, MI
Posts: 1,054
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

90% of the firearm manufactures get their raw bar steel used to produce barrels, bolts, & recievers from Gerdau Steel in Jackson, MI
Wonder if that would be a draw to the gun companies to move here from NY, and out East?
Swampdog02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #12
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

A&O molds in Vicksburg makes AR-15s and AK47s
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #13
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,326
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
It would seem to allow the use of 3D printers to make gun parts privately.
What material do those print with?

Can I put a sticker on my gun that says "made in Michigan" and have it count?
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #14
mudbuster
Member
 
Join Date: 12-25-12
Location: portland/michigan
Posts: 50
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdog02 View Post
90% of the firearm manufactures get their raw bar steel used to produce barrels, bolts, & recievers from Gerdau Steel in Jackson, MI
Wonder if that would be a draw to the gun companies to move here from NY, and out East?

That's what I'm thinking, they are giving displaced gun manufacturers a place to go which would also help our economy by bringing in jobs. At least that's my hope
mudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #15
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,313
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

I don't know why Snyder hasn't been all over this.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
muddluvr
Member
 
muddluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-18-09
Location: kalamazoo
Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Think about this from a manufacturing point....they could open a small facility here..have a ar15 subassembly, lets say without a trigger, shipped to that facility, at this point it is not a firearm it is just a bunch of metal parts thrown together, then the trigger is installed here, now its a firearm, wallla the AR15 was manufactured here in MI....
muddluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #17
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,142
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddluvr View Post
Think about this from a manufacturing point....they could open a small facility here..have a ar15 subassembly, lets say without a trigger, shipped to that facility, at this point it is not a firearm it is just a bunch of metal parts thrown together, then the trigger is installed here, now its a firearm, wallla the AR15 was manufactured here in MI....
The lower receiver is legally the "firearm." It can be a completely stripped hunk of metal but according to the law it's a firearm.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,396
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If you jump through all the hoops you can get your own manufacturer license and build whatever you want for your own enjoyment.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #19
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,142
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
If you jump through all the hoops you can get your own manufacturer license and build whatever you want for your own enjoyment.
Including machine guns and artillery!
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #20
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,501
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
What material do those print with?

Can I put a sticker on my gun that says "made in Michigan" and have it count?
http://www.nationalreview.com/the-fe...-15-3d-printer
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30519 seconds with 80 queries