Travel Ban....???? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Travel Ban....????

Massachusett set out a Travel ban because of the big winter storm
I dont think they should be able to do that but thats just my .02
what do you guys think?

Last edited by 85scottsdale; February 8th, 2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: no naming storms
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,529
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Where's Nemo?
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,529
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I was once trapped during a road trip to Colorado when I lived in Wyoming about 3-4 yrs ago. I was heading down the freeway, roads werent even that bad, somthing here in northern michigan is daily life. Came up to this exit and the gates were dropped and lights flashing on sign to exit. I got stuck in this shithole of a town called Wheatland, WY and ended up spending 20 hrs at a gas station parking lot sleeping in my silverado waiting for them to reopen the road when they damn well pleased along with about 10 other cars. Also hotel rates that night almost doubled, so yes they can do that, I was blocked into this town, side roads and all. Next time I wont sit there that long I will just take the ticket and let them chase me.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,152
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85scottsdale View Post
Massachusett set out a Travel ban because of the big winter storm.
I dont think they should be able to do that but thats just my .02
what do you guys think?
fixed....we don't need to freaking start naming winter stroms now....
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

right i wouldnt sit there either if i got the truck ill be okay hopefully. Nemo passed us here in michigan city as rain and lake michigan took the storm and then it went through ohio and its right around there its pretty damn big.
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
fixed....we don't need to freaking start naming winter stroms now....
They gotta have some entertainment.
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 17,022
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Unfortunately, there are people who aren't smart enough use good judgement when it comes to weather and travel. These are the same people who will find someone to sue for their misfortune after using poor judgement.

Nannied to death.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,529
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85scottsdale View Post
right i wouldnt sit there either if i got the truck ill be okay hopefully. Nemo passed us here in michigan city as rain and lake michigan took the storm and then it went through ohio and its right around there its pretty damn big.
only reason I sat there that long was 2 things. First I thought they would have them open first thing in the morning, had I known they would have waited till almost 2pm to open them again I would have snuck out late that night. And second they had this stupid sign on every onramp that said if you went around it was a 1,000 fine plus jail time. Like I said next time I will take my chances.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #9
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,442
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
only reason I sat there that long was 2 things. First I thought they would have them open first thing in the morning, had I known they would have waited till almost 2pm to open them again I would have snuck out late that night. And second they had this stupid sign on every onramp that said if you went around it was a 1,000 fine plus jail time. Like I said next time I will take my chances.
I agree that people are stupid but when people get trapped on the road in severe weather it's not only dangerous for them but also for the people trying to save them.. who could be out trying to help standard emergencies and not a pack of dumbasses.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #10
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
only reason I sat there that long was 2 things. First I thought they would have them open first thing in the morning, had I known they would have waited till almost 2pm to open them again I would have snuck out late that night. And second they had this stupid sign on every onramp that said if you went around it was a 1,000 fine plus jail time. Like I said next time I will take my chances.
yeah sometimes it worth it but other times u gotta watch what u do.
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: it's Tuesday so it must be Belguim
Posts: 3,322
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85scottsdale View Post
Massachusett set out a Travel ban because of the big winter storm
I dont think they should be able to do that but thats just my .02
what do you guys think?
yu dumb sh*t. everyone should know by now that gubernment knows best for you and that in a state where big winter storms are the norm, you still have no experience in how to handle yourself. the gubernment wants to apply the dumb-down rule so that people who know what they're doing have to pay more and suffer more because of a few people who don't know squat and will die proving it. gubernment's job is to defeat the darwin law of nature.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,529
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I agree that people are stupid but when people get trapped on the road in severe weather it's not only dangerous for them but also for the people trying to save them.. who could be out trying to help standard emergencies and not a pack of dumbasses.
I see the logic of that if it was a bad ass storm of some sorts, because your right there are alot of dumbasses out there. This however was 6 inches of snow/sleet that our state has no problem letting us all drive in year after year, but in Wyoming it was a "holy shit let shut the roads down" . It didnt feel like they were helping at all, in fact most had to sleep in their cars/truck in this cold weather which sucked more. Just being michigan born and raised I just never thought I would be trapped like that in the middle of a road trip, I mean there is plenty of times where I stayed home to keep of the roads and the idiots who are out but this was them being way to overprotective.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhri View Post
yu dumb sh*t. everyone should know by now that gubernment knows best for you and that in a state where big winter storms are the norm, you still have no experience in how to handle yourself. the gubernment wants to apply the dumb-down rule so that people who know what they're doing have to pay more and suffer more because of a few people who don't know squat and will die proving it. gubernment's job is to defeat the darwin law of nature.
lol agreed
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #14
85scottsdale
Senior Member
 
85scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-11
Location: michigan city, indiana
Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
I see the logic of that if it was a bad ass storm of some sorts, because your right there are alot of dumbasses out there. This however was 6 inches of snow/sleet that our state has no problem letting us all drive in year after year, but in Wyoming it was a "holy shit let shut the roads down" . It didnt feel like they were helping at all, in fact most had to sleep in their cars/truck in this cold weather which sucked more. Just being michigan born and raised I just never thought I would be trapped like that in the middle of a road trip, I mean there is plenty of times where I stayed home to keep of the roads and the idiots who are out but this was them being way to overprotective.
yeah sounds a little outrageous NW indiana gets the same sh*t snow sleet ice all of that and more on our roads and we drive it plus our snow plows only suck alot and never get out.
85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Trendsetter
Senior Member
 
Trendsetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Annapolis, MD and Holland MI
Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Trendsetter Send a message via Yahoo to Trendsetter
Default

I had to send ally guys home early today when this ban went into effect. It is just now starting bear down in us. Right or wrong it is a common thing it happens out west in the Rockies all the time when I lived back in Maryland a few years ago they banned driving for two days due to storms.

It has more to do with keeping the roads clear for plows and emergency equipment then anything else.

As for me I live a mile from work and have to keep going back to plow out the parking lot and checking all the boats. Gonna be a long night
Trendsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Needafix
Member
 
Needafix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-17-12
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter View Post
I had to send ally guys home early today when this ban went into effect. It is just now starting bear down in us. Right or wrong it is a common thing it happens out west in the Rockies all the time when I lived back in Maryland a few years ago they banned driving for two days due to storms.

It has more to do with keeping the roads clear for plows and emergency equipment then anything else.

As for me I live a mile from work and have to keep going back to plow out the parking lot and checking all the boats. Gonna be a long night
Send us some pics!
Needafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #17
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

some of you people should clearly do some research about what emergency powers various Governors do have when a state of emergency is declared

I have no problem with a Governor exercising emergency powers for an obvious life/property threatening storm.

edit. But that may be due to the fact that I recognize that we are supposed to be a republic of States, and I personally believe that States rights should supersede those of the almighty Fed. the majority of the time (even though they seemingly do not over the past several decades)

Last edited by RyeBread; February 8th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Jiveturkey3
Senior Member
 
Jiveturkey3's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-22-12
Location: Hillsdale MI
Posts: 3,787
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

It's an assault storm we just just ban the storm.
Jiveturkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #19
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,372
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I agree that people are stupid but when people get trapped on the road in severe weather it's not only dangerous for them but also for the people trying to save them.. who could be out trying to help standard emergencies and not a pack of dumbasses.
this....and so that the crews can clear the roads, and fix down powerlines, and save stupid people without more stupid people being in their way
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,079
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Default


Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30990 seconds with 83 queries