Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Rebuilding a NP263XHD Transfer Case

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pipepro 
#1 ·
Well it finally happened. The transfer case in my hauler (2003 Chevy CCSB 2500HD) stopped shifting into 4wd, lots of grinding and popping noise even though the indicator says it shifted. Long story short, found the hole in the back half of the case, the pump has worn a hole in the case and all the fluid is gone. No telling how long, and I suspect there is serious damage to the shift forks (at least).

I found a basic seal and rebuild package along with a pump upgrade kit from Merchant Automotive, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this case? I dont have a problem with tearing into the case, but I really wont know the extent of damage besides the obvious things (broken or missing shift forks, bad bearings etc.) but what about damage to the planetary gears or other internals? Any ideas on how to determine what parts are out of spec?

A fully rebuilt case with the pump upgrade kit is $1600. Just looking at the prices of the rebuild kit, along with the high prices for the misc internals I wonder if it is even worth it to rebuild it? Its a lot of money in parts and I am not sure if it will be 100% when completed vs $1600 and a 2 year warranty.

What say you?

#2 ·
I had a similar thing happen last year just onto the western slope of Colorado. None of the parts inside the case were salvageable after it grenaded. I'd open it up, make sure you still have good shift hubs and forks and case(Bearing Lands) or you'll be more than 1600 to repair. I ended up buying a re-man from LKQ for $1300, and it came with a 3 year warranty.

#7 ·
Yep, I mentioned Merchant in my OP, I know about the pump problem.

I am really more concerned with the amount of damage done to the gears and such and knowing if they are still within tolerance. I think that is my biggest problem, is deciding weather or not the internals are still good. I can easily diagnose the shift forks being bad, and excessive play in the chain, its the other machined parts and clearances that I dont know about. They are very expensive and the decision to start putting parts into it vs just getting one with a warranty is the question.

Its all pissing into the wind till I get it out and torn apart. I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem and what they discovered when they tore it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.