Our new puppy doesnt seem to want to eat...... - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,979
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Our new puppy doesnt seem to want to eat......

We just got a 10 week old lab puppy from the last chance rescue over the weekend. Great little dog, best pup I have had. Whats werid though is he does not seem to want to eat. My wife got Taste of the wild high prairie puppy formula with roasted venison and bison...grain free. I havent had a dog before that doesnt enjoy eating and he simply doesnt seem interested.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
99_2door
Member
 
Join Date: 12-30-12
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

When I first got my puppy (she was 9 weeks old when I took her home) I just left her food down for her where she could get at it anytime. She would nibble on it through out the day. I had to add some of the soft food on top to get her to eat at all. That went on for about a month and then she started eating normally. FWIW my vet told me as long as she was drinking water and didn't seem lethargic not to worry. Sometimes the adjustment to the new home throws them for a loop.
99_2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,549
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

My Puppy's Not Eating


I'm having so much trouble making my puppy of 3 months eat. I exercise him. I make him work for his food. I tried multiple types of food. I added canned food, etc. He just won't eat. I'm so worried about him. What should I do?
Stephanie Lopez
South Plainfield, NJ
I hear this scenario at least daily in my practice, and the answer is always the same: If he is growing well and your vet says he is not underweight, then the best thing to do is just provide nutritious food and let him eat when he is hungry.
I do not advocate ever tempting a dog to eat unless there is a specific medical reason, and if there is medical reason your puppy wonít eat, the best approach is to diagnose and treat that, rather than tempting him with more and more exotic foods. You must remember that your puppy is going to be just like a human child; he will eat more during growth spurts and then seem to eat nothing in between them. As long as there is no nausea or diarrhea, this is normal.
One of the critical differences between dogs and humans is that the dog got his metabolism from an ancient ancestor that rarely ate daily. Human owners often have a hard time with this, because we arenít built that way. Humans who try to force a dog to eat when they arenít hungry create what I see every day: the picky eater who is overweight. It is a major source of canine obesity in our country.
If his body is healthy (Be sure your vet did routine wormings and fecals!), a dog who limits their own food intake can be a blessing. My own dog Giget was a perfect, lean weight for all of her healthy, active 16 years, and for that whole 16 years, she chose to eat about every third day. I believe strongly in listening to what your dogís body is telling you, because it is usually right.
Dr. Weaver


Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/d...#ixzz2IiHmvUiP
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,371
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
My Puppy's Not Eating


I'm having so much trouble making my puppy of 3 months eat. I exercise him. I make him work for his food. I tried multiple types of food. I added canned food, etc. He just won't eat. I'm so worried about him. What should I do?
Stephanie Lopez
South Plainfield, NJ
I hear this scenario at least daily in my practice, and the answer is always the same: If he is growing well and your vet says he is not underweight, then the best thing to do is just provide nutritious food and let him eat when he is hungry.
I do not advocate ever tempting a dog to eat unless there is a specific medical reason, and if there is medical reason your puppy wonít eat, the best approach is to diagnose and treat that, rather than tempting him with more and more exotic foods. You must remember that your puppy is going to be just like a human child; he will eat more during growth spurts and then seem to eat nothing in between them. As long as there is no nausea or diarrhea, this is normal.
One of the critical differences between dogs and humans is that the dog got his metabolism from an ancient ancestor that rarely ate daily. Human owners often have a hard time with this, because we arenít built that way. Humans who try to force a dog to eat when they arenít hungry create what I see every day: the picky eater who is overweight. It is a major source of canine obesity in our country.
If his body is healthy (Be sure your vet did routine wormings and fecals!), a dog who limits their own food intake can be a blessing. My own dog Giget was a perfect, lean weight for all of her healthy, active 16 years, and for that whole 16 years, she chose to eat about every third day. I believe strongly in listening to what your dogís body is telling you, because it is usually right.
Dr. Weaver


Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/d...#ixzz2IiHmvUiP
you so smart
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:23 AM   #5
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,979
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_2door View Post
When I first got my puppy (she was 9 weeks old when I took her home) I just left her food down for her where she could get at it anytime. She would nibble on it through out the day. I had to add some of the soft food on top to get her to eat at all. That went on for about a month and then she started eating normally. FWIW my vet told me as long as she was drinking water and didn't seem lethargic not to worry. Sometimes the adjustment to the new home throws them for a loop.
well she is a tad lethargic for a pup. Which is nice....im used to puppies tearing into everything and being a handful. This dog sleeps a ton, and seems to have a very chill attitude, which is good for me and my wife.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Tinsu
Senior Member
 
Tinsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We had the same problem with our puppy. When we first got her, she was so distracted by everything in the house that she would walk away to investigate. Plus, I don't think her sense of smell was fully developed yet. One of the vet tech's suggested putting a little warm water on the dry dog food to trigger more of a sent. That did the trick. She ate the food and lapped up the water which had some dog food flavoring. After a few months, we backed off the water. She's 7 months now, and eats like crazy with no need for water.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,549
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
you so smart
I have a secret weapon
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,979
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
We had the same problem with our puppy. When we first got her, she was so distracted by everything in the house that she would walk away to investigate. Plus, I don't think her sense of smell was fully developed yet. One of the vet tech's suggested putting a little warm water on the dry dog food to trigger more of a sent. That did the trick. She ate the food and lapped up the water which had some dog food flavoring. After a few months, we backed off the water. She's 7 months now, and eats like crazy with no need for water.
I just tried wetting the dog food and this seemed to help some....thanks for the tip
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,102
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
I just tried wetting the dog food and this seemed to help some....thanks for the tip
LOL.....my dog, although older loves when I stir in about 2 tablespoons of hot water to 3/4 cup of his dry dog food.

You would of thought I gave him a live chicken to eat!! (I have never given my dog a live chicken.)
Immortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,091
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
well she is a tad lethargic for a pup. Which is nice....im used to puppies tearing into everything and being a handful. This dog sleeps a ton, and seems to have a very chill attitude, which is good for me and my wife.
Ours was the same way when we got her. She was so calm and lazy that we thought she was sick and ended up taking her to the vet. Turns out she's just the best dog either of us have ever had.

She's still a picky eater though. We have five different bags of dog food in our pantry for her and have to rotate them through with each bowl. She always has food in her bowl so she just munches at her leisure.

We also just did the switch to the grain free "Wolf" diet food from Blue Buffalo and a couple of other companies. First time I gave her a little bit of the Salmon food she went full retard like she was having a seizure after sniffing it and proceeded to eat the hell out of all of it
__________________
-Jer

Fallen GL4x4 Member's Family in Need!!

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=301273

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,932
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

My dog constantly eats things I don't want him to.....wanna trade?
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM   #12
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: it's Tuesday so it must be Belguim
Posts: 3,324
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
My dog constantly eats things I don't want him to.....wanna trade?
great observation. maybe barry1me should feed the dogs old shoes, socks, pilllows, chair legs, etc.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM   #13
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,932
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhri View Post
great observation. maybe barry1me should feed the dogs old shoes, socks, pilllows, chair legs, etc.
We got him about 11 months ago and thought it was awesome that he goes into the weeds, trees, or pretty much anywhere but the lawn to take a dump. Turns out he was just setting them aside because he likes his snacks to be well aged and slightly frozen. Poopsicles
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,530
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Water the food down a bit like everyone else said. I know my grandpa's old dog I have to do that because her teeth are decayed some and if I dont she wont eat her whole bowl but if I do she gobbles.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #15
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,544
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
We got him about 11 months ago and thought it was awesome that he goes into the weeds, trees, or pretty much anywhere but the lawn to take a dump. Turns out he was just setting them aside because he likes his snacks to be well aged and slightly frozen. Poopsicles
It's not unusual for dogs to eat their own shit. Disgusting yes but not unusual. Wild dogs do it all the time, our older black lab does it, my parents beagle does it....
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,932
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
It's not unusual for dogs to eat their own shit. Disgusting yes but not unusual. Wild dogs do it all the time, our older black lab does it, my parents beagle does it....
Yeah I know, I just don't like it. I've heard claims that it can mean they're missing something in their diet, but I've also heard that it's complete BS. Based on my own personal experience with dogs, I'm going with the latter. The same dog likes to eat tree bark, logs, more grass than most cows, and who knows what else. Based on the smell alone I have no clue why he'd wanna eat that, but I'm not a dog.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,530
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Yeah I know, I just don't like it. I've heard claims that it can mean they're missing something in their diet, but I've also heard that it's complete BS. Based on my own personal experience with dogs, I'm going with the latter. The same dog likes to eat tree bark, logs, more grass than most cows, and who knows what else. Based on the smell alone I have no clue why he'd wanna eat that, but I'm not a dog.
They make stuff to put in food to make their dumps not seem like a tasty treat.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Why YJ?
Don't be a wuss... HIT IT
 
Why YJ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-08
Location: West Branch,MI
Posts: 1,426
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We have been feeding our Boxer Blue Buffalo dog food. When we first started switching to it he didn't seem interested in it. I read on the bag to mix it with warm water to bring the aroma out. I tried it, and he went crazy on it! He now eats it without water but still goes nuts when I do put water in it.

Like others have said keep trying the water.
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon.. stock for now

Run of the mill YJ with Dana 60's and Irok's..SOLD
96 XJ on 38's...SOLD
Paul
www.teamhodges.com
Why YJ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #19
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,897
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

When my dogs were pups they wouldn't eat the higher end food ( blue buffalo or eukunuba). Vet told me to try purina puppy chow. I did and they ate it like it was going out of style. I slowly mixed in other food. My dogs are very picky. I now feed them science diet. It's the only food they will eat. I tried to get them to eat blue buffalo and eukunuba but they won't eat it. Hell they won't hardly even eat treats the only treats I can get them to eat are these natural cut peices of bovine lung and liver. I get it at Belleville milling and feed store.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #20
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,168
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
We got him about 11 months ago and thought it was awesome that he goes into the weeds, trees, or pretty much anywhere but the lawn to take a dump. Turns out he was just setting them aside because he likes his snacks to be well aged and slightly frozen. Poopsicles
I laughed. I wish my dog would shit in the woods, however he prefers the front yard.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.34492 seconds with 80 queries