Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
99 Ford Super Duty/Screeching noise at idle

I have a 99 Ford Super Duty f350 7.3 Diesel. It is making a bad grinding/screeching sound just after it starts and is warming up and idling. It wouldn't shut off all the way even after the key was turned off and taken out. It was still making noises like it was trying to stay running. I would restart it and all the while the loud screeching would continue. I couldn't shut it off until I put it in neutral and turned the key off again. I started it again and it made the same loud screeching noise after it was running for a few minutes. I can't tell where it's coming form, maybe around the front of the engine. The fan? Don't know for sure. I live in Colorado and the temperature is 18 degrees.
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Waterford/Union Lake
Posts: 5,138
iTrader: (13)
Plug it in. diesels hate cold starts. The noise you are describing is either pissed off cold diesel engine noise, or the EBPV becoming active, which it does in cold weather operation to help the engine warm up. Search YouTube for similar noises and link them our part a video of your concern.
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
I do keep it plugged in, it can't start without it. There was a faint smell of something that's either getting real hot or burnt? Can the starter get stuck on or come on while the truck is idling? I also think there's a short somewhere. I will try it again tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks.
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Waterford/Union Lake
Posts: 5,138
iTrader: (13)
If it won't start without plugging it in, you're overdue for maintenance. The glow plugs and gp relay should be tested, replaced if bad. It wouldn't be related to your concern, but it isn't good for the engine.
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,257
iTrader: (35)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
It wouldn't shut off all the way even after the key was turned off and taken out. It was still making noises like it was trying to stay running. I would restart it and all the while the loud screeching would continue.
I am guessing your starter is staying engaged, which is usually a bad starter solenoid (located on the starter itself).

this has nothing to do with glow plugs or being cold.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,063
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
^^^ this
also check for shorted out or melted battery cable near starter. If the starter is turning when the motor is running it is stuck in the flywheel or recieving power when it should not.
It could also be a bad ignition switch/ steering colum. The pos 97 at work has had two steering colums in it and now needs another one. Still cant figure out why ford didnt put o shit handles in its full size trucks back then.Even S10 blazers have o shit handles.
Thats why the colums wear out, because everyone uses the steering wheel to pull their self into the truck,especialy shorter guys.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
I replaced the starter and solenoid a couple weeks ago. Last night when this happened the starter was hot to the touch, couldn't hold your hand there. It was also 18 degrees outside. Today I have started it again. It's been idling for 45 minutes now and has not made the screeching noise. And the starter is cool to the touch. It's about 35 degrees outside right now. What does this mean?
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Grassman
Recovering Bogger user
 
Grassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-08
Location: Belmont, Mi
Posts: 17,970
iTrader: (15)
Napa starter?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton tj on 40's View Post
every circle needs a pivot man
Grassman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #9
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks
 
92FleXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-11
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
I replaced the starter and solenoid a couple weeks ago. Last night when this happened the starter was hot to the touch, couldn't hold your hand there. It was also 18 degrees outside. Today I have started it again. It's been idling for 45 minutes now and has not made the screeching noise. And the starter is cool to the touch. It's about 35 degrees outside right now. What does this mean?
Like he said. Your starter was stuck engaged.. That's why it was hot, sounds like that's where the noise was coming from.
If I were you I'd pull the starter off (being that its new) take it back and get a replacement or upgrade to something better
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Know that pocket that forms behind your knee when you sit down?

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #10
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks
 
92FleXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-11
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I am guessing your starter is staying engaged, which is usually a bad starter solenoid (located on the starter itself).

this has nothing to do with glow plugs or being cold.
^^^^^this^^^^^^
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Know that pocket that forms behind your knee when you sit down?

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Yes, this is a Napa starter.
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
^^^ this
also check for shorted out or melted battery cable near starter. If the starter is turning when the motor is running it is stuck in the flywheel or recieving power when it should not.
It could also be a bad ignition switch/ steering colum. The pos 97 at work has had two steering colums in it and now needs another one. Still cant figure out why ford didnt put o shit handles in its full size trucks back then.Even S10 blazers have o shit handles.
Thats why the colums wear out, because everyone uses the steering wheel to pull their self into the truck,especialy shorter guys.
What were the symptoms the truck was displaying that made you think it was the ignition switch/steering column? Were there issues with power being supplied even though the truck was off? I've had drained batteries twice now. Something is juicing the batteries overnight. It won't even start now and that's with a full charge on the batteries.
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #13
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,095
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
What were the symptoms the truck was displaying that made you think it was the ignition switch/steering column? Were there issues with power being supplied even though the truck was off? I've had drained batteries twice now. Something is juicing the batteries overnight. It won't even start now and that's with a full charge on the batteries.
My 2000 did this, I had a thread on it just a few days ago. I was told it was my "GEM" Module. The black box by the parking brake/firewall. Mine would drain both batteries overnight, radio would come on when it wanted to, domelights, etc. I had cruise control issues, a mysterious beeping under the dash, a clicking coming from something near the GEM module. Everything pointed to the GEM as far as the information I could find.

I am told Ford doesn't make GEM modules anymore and you are pretty much on your own. The tricky part is that the GEM modules need to match the options on your truck (Diesel, auto, power seats, windows, # of doors, 4x4, air, the whole nine yards etc.) So you have to be careful in your searching for a new one.

I got lucky and the dealer gave me decent money for my truck, so I just traded my problem in.

This would be my second (out of 2) Ford vehicle where the electrical sucked and the truck was starting to become a real pain to try to fix/diagnose for a non electrical engineer. Surprisingly enough both of the same model year (2000 explorer and superduty).


The last week or so I owned my truck I had to jump it with my focus (traded that in too since it was still under warranty ) and it would take a while to get enough juice into the batteries to start the truck.
Good luck.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Grassman
Recovering Bogger user
 
Grassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-08
Location: Belmont, Mi
Posts: 17,970
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
Yes, this is a Napa starter.
there is part of your problem. we wont touch napa starters anymore. they have died within 6 months of replacment. even though they were warranty we didnt want to replace junk with new junk

.02
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton tj on 40's View Post
every circle needs a pivot man
Grassman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Kenai
Newbie
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-13
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
@Kickstand, I was just reading your posts on this earlier this morning. Bingo! My truck does all that, too. Fan motor comes on whenever, dome lights, headlights, buzzing noise from fuse box area, clicking sounds, flashing overdrive light, airbag light, windshield wipers, stereo...etc. The blower motor, alternator, starter and solenoid have all been replaced in the last 1 to 2 months. Going to try an clean up the contacts/connections and such on the GEM Module and see what happens. I hope it works. Looks like a replacement starts around $300...
And it's on the charger again, as we speak.
@Grassman, the starter is probably toast...now my problems are bigger. Dang!
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,095
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
@Kickstand, I was just reading your posts on this earlier this morning. Bingo! My truck does all that, too. Fan motor comes on whenever, dome lights, headlights, buzzing noise from fuse box area, clicking sounds, flashing overdrive light, airbag light, windshield wipers, stereo...etc. The blower motor, alternator, starter and solenoid have all been replaced in the last 1 to 2 months. Going to try an clean up the contacts/connections and such on the GEM Module and see what happens. I hope it works. Looks like a replacement starts around $300...
And it's on the charger again, as we speak.
@Grassman, the starter is probably toast...now my problems are bigger. Dang!
Yeah, if you search the powerstroke boards you'll see its pretty common, and a pain in the ass to deal with considering the "exactness" that your GEM must match to your truck.

It's a shame too, the motors run like tanks, but everything else (I guess with all trucks really) just rusts or falls apart around them.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.19869 seconds with 42 queries