Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #81
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,875
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Reload time? If somebody had to reload after 10 shots, instead of after 20, wouldn't that give someone time to try and stop them?

You asked...
People who practice can reload in under a second or two. Extremely negligible difference.

Then there's this guy:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #82
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,854
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I agree that paperwork would matter in this particular case but I'm sure even preventing one such incident would make it worth it. It's really a case of how you store your guns when you don't have them on you here. I grew up with my dads gun in a zippered case with shells in the case on the floor next to his bed. When I was little I remember unzipping it and looking at it, but thankfully he taught me enough to never touch it.

If the mother wasn't dead too I'd say she was responsible for a part of the tragedy. Toughen up laws regarding ownership of a gun used for a crime? Get people more responsible for the safe and secure storage of unused guns?

But back to the thread topic, banning isn't the answer but what other action can be suggested? Something is going to happen...
PPs for long guns just like pistols....this would deffinatley reduce the chance of guns getting in the wrong peoples hands. Also stricter rules on background checks. They should check the household individuals that live with the gun purchaser. Also have stricter rules about gun safety at home. Im all for having guns locked in safes and what not.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #83
Rockstar
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
 
Rockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Taylor,Mi
Posts: 8,418
iTrader: (11)
Do any of you know it all remember this Bull Shit.....????

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #84
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,854
iTrader: (9)
thats unreal and scary that they did this.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #85
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,984
iTrader: (21)
Lucas, the shooting of those 26 people was a tragedy. But tell me this, how many people die daily in the United States from drunk driving? I don't mean to diminish the lives of the 20 children but to suddenly change the entire country over this is ridiculous. Have you ever looked into the stats of how many people who have a concealed license commit crimes?

Now you say the mother should be to blame because she owned the guns. So, if some idiot steals my truck and kills somebody, am I to blame because I am the owner of it?

The guy was legally diagnosed as having a medical problem. I do not believe he would have passed a background check. So why punish the millions of Americans who are sane?

People get all worked up about someone owning a gun and "what if?" but think nothing of a person getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. What's the difference?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #86
Rockstar
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
 
Rockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Taylor,Mi
Posts: 8,418
iTrader: (11)
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #87
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (29)
Funny how the exact same people who want a gun ban over 20 killed kids (tragically of course) are the ones who support abortion. How many kids has abortion killed? A woman can choose as its her "right" but gun owners may not get a choice in the near future. The constitution says nothing about abortion, let alone women's right to choose, but it does say something about arms.
Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #88
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 23,318
iTrader: (12)
For lgottler:

Can you identify which of the following are military and which are civilian?











__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #89
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Lucas, the shooting of those 26 people was a tragedy. But tell me this, how many people die daily in the United States from drunk driving? I don't mean to diminish the lives of the 20 children but to suddenly change the entire country over this is ridiculous. Have you ever looked into the stats of how many people who have a concealed license commit crimes?

Now you say the mother should be to blame because she owned the guns. So, if some idiot steals my truck and kills somebody, am I to blame because I am the owner of it?

The guy was legally diagnosed as having a medical problem. I do not believe he would have passed a background check. So why punish the millions of Americans who are sane?

People get all worked up about someone owning a gun and "what if?" but think nothing of a person getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. What's the difference?
The purpose of the truck is transportation though, the guns got really just one purpose to kill something. You wouldn't swipe a gun to use as a crowbar...

I think I need to repeat this: I don't have a problem with people owning guns and think a cpl is fine (I think more thorough background checks should be done with an eye towards health and living situations etc).
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #90
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
For lgottler:

Can you identify which of the following are military and which are civilian?
Looks like a mix of old military issue and newer civilian assault styled with an m16...? Close?
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #91
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 23,318
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
Looks like a mix of old military issue and newer civilian assault styled with an m16...? Close?
well, gee- that's just restating what I asked.

Here, quote this and then put in order which are actual military and which are civilian.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #92
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,325
iTrader: (8)
1. Crazy people are always going to be out there doing crazy things. That's just the way it is, the way is has been, and the way it will be. If his mother didn't own guns, I bet she had a set of steak knives in the drawer.

2. Prohibition doesn't work, it's some kind of fantasy utopian idea. Anything with a demand will have a market made available to accommodate it. All it does is drives the market underground, where there are no regulations.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #93
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
I am now a proud member of the NRA. I hope it helps.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #94
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 23,318
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
1. Crazy people are always going to be out there doing crazy things. That's just the way it is, the way is has been, and the way it will be. If his mother didn't own guns, I bet she had a set of steak knives in the drawer.

2. Prohibition doesn't work, it's some kind of fantasy utopian idea. Anything with a demand will have a market made available to accommodate it. All it does is drives the market underground, where there are no regulations.
Yeah, the 18th amendment dealt a huge blow to crime, didn't it?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #95
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
well, gee- that's just restating what I asked.

Here, quote this and then put in order which are actual military and which are civilian.
I know the new semi auto ones are made to look a certain "cool" way, my buddy has a few of them I played with. Being on tapatalk I don't know how to look at pics and post, didnt want to admit that :what: so from memory the wood stocks look like ww2 stuff, I think an m16 in the middle, maybe ak47 near the bottom (looks like my sks), and the last one looked like one my buddy had. I can't tell what's military and what's civilian, why?
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #96
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 23,318
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I know the new semi auto ones are made to look a certain "cool" way, my buddy has a few of them I played with. Being on tapatalk I don't know how to look at pics and post, didnt want to admit that :what: so from memory the wood stocks look like ww2 stuff, I think an m16 in the middle, maybe ak47 near the bottom (looks like my sks), and the last one looked like one my buddy had. I can't tell what's military and what's civilian, why?
Because neither can the media that's stirring up the hype.

For the record:

1) Mosin Nagant 91/30. Military

2) Bushmaster AR-15. Civilian

3) M1 Garand. Military

4) M16A1. Military

5) WASR-10. Civilian

6) Hi-Point 995. Civilian.

Of the 6, only the M16A1 is full auto. The Mosin and M1 are bolt action. The rest are semi-auto. The WASR-10 is Romanian, and is converted by Century Arms International to accept double stack AK style magazines. As manufactured in Romania, it uses 5 round single stack mags.
The Hi Point doesn't even use a rifle round, it uses 9mm handgun ammo.

You get points for recognizing the wood stocks as WWII vintage military, I have seen the M1 used as an example of a 'hunting rifle' by some reporters, and the Bushmaster has been referred to as a 'sniper rifle'.


It's the 'Evil Black Rifle' syndrome.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #97
Rockstar
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
 
Rockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Taylor,Mi
Posts: 8,418
iTrader: (11)
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #98
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,984
iTrader: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
The purpose of the truck is transportation though, the guns got really just one purpose to kill something. You wouldn't swipe a gun to use as a crowbar...

I think I need to repeat this: I don't have a problem with people owning guns and think a cpl is fine (I think more thorough background checks should be done with an eye towards health and living situations etc).
But you missed the point. Both are owned by private citizens. Neither have done any harm to anyone while owned by the LEGAL owner. Both are stolen by a dirtbag. Both kill someone.

In the case of the rifle, you say the weapon is bad and the LEGAL owner bears responsibility.
In the case of the truck, you say it was not used for it's intended purpose when it killed someone so no big deal.

In my opinion, neither the rifle or the truck were used for it's intended purpose, BOTH were stolen by a dirtbag, BOTH killed someone and IT IS THE FAULT of the dirtbag.

The tool used is not the issue.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #99
curbdog17
.
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 28,910
iTrader: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
The tool used is not the issue.
This says it all.
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #100
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 23,318
iTrader: (12)
The problem is you can't legislate morality.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23018 seconds with 51 queries