Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #41
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,308
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Usally I find when Im buying somthing latley that when I show up its not in the condition it was discribed or things were found when looking at it that the seller forgot to mention so I offer less sometimes much less. However ive had many sales and a few on here where I paid the full asking price cause it was exactly what I was looking for and the product worked and was worth what seller was asking, but thats rare these days, everyone is just looking to get rich quick with junk they have sitting around like on tv. Its always someone wants over bluebook for there POS Jeep thats been beat on hard, geared wrong or people who say "front axle making noise but my mechanic said it can be drove that way" Bullshit, its going to be a problem for the future owner and the price should be adjusted properly or the seller should be prepared to be talked down some. Also the classic is someone who's got a 1000-1500 dollar set of tires new that are listed and they are down to 25% or less and wore uneven and they still want 500-600, its just not worth paying that much.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #42
tsaguy
drink the hotdog water.
 
tsaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-17-08
Location: Big Mountain, Michigan 48458
Posts: 4,310
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I haggle when the product isn't what the seller represented it to be.

Seen an Android phone on CL, seller listed item as 'perfect condition, brand new'. When I met up with him, the phone wasn't in new condition, it had wear spots from handling, minor scuffing on the screen, and dust/dirt in the speaker and headphone jack. I told him it wasn't as he listed it, but I was still interested, but for a lower price. He wanted $180, I told him based on it's true appearance, I would buy it for $140. He snatched it from my hand and said "Nevermind!". So I said "ok, see ya!". He then ran in front of me to block my path, and said "Well, I mean, how much you got bro?".

"Go fukc yourself".

If you can't listen to me, much less post the true conditon of the product then you don't deserve to have any luck selling your item.

If an item is as it is described, I have no problem paying the asking price.

Unfortunately the internet has decreased people's standard of respect, from internet postings to face-to-face meetings that started on the 'net.


Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
Usally I find when Im buying somthing latley that when I show up its not in the condition it was discribed or things were found when looking at it that the seller forgot to mention so I offer less sometimes much less. However ive had many sales and a few on here where I paid the full asking price cause it was exactly what I was looking for and the product worked and was worth what seller was asking, but thats rare these days, everyone is just looking to get rich quick with junk they have sitting around like on tv. Its always someone wants over bluebook for there POS Jeep thats been beat on hard, geared wrong or people who say "front axle making noise but my mechanic said it can be drove that way" Bullshit, its going to be a problem for the future owner and the price should be adjusted properly or the seller should be prepared to be talked down some. Also the classic is someone who's got a 1000-1500 dollar set of tires new that are listed and they are down to 25% or less and wore uneven and they still want 500-600, its just not worth paying that much.
I only quoted this paragraph because for it's amount of words, it is actually comprised of four sentences. And I was amazed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I do drive a jeep and I have puffed a peter maybe once or twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am willing to bet its a bunch of geriatric old farts bitching about anyone under 50 and touching each others weiners.
tsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #43
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

If someone is willing to hold on to something for me on my word that I will take it I don't haggle. If I am looking at it before I decide to buy I will usually try to get some money knocked off.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #44
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,308
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaguy View Post
I only quoted this paragraph because for it's amount of words, it is actually comprised of four sentences. And I was amazed.
im bored today so I guess I felt the need to make my post as long as possable and provide examples, I do that alot im sure.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #45
Wramblerguy
Senior Member
 
Wramblerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-11
Location: Schoolcraft 49087
Posts: 2,848
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

When I'm selling things online I usually add some to my asking price because I expect people to haggle and when they do I get what I wanted initially and if they don't I make more money
And if they offer me 50% I just reply no thanks and go on my way
__________________
3rd generation jeeper

99 gmc Sierra extended cab z71 dd
87 yj Laredo 4.2/999/231 ac & cruise bone stock (for now)
90s Wrambler efi 2.5, t5, sye231 ,d44s with 4.88s and detroits
Wramblerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #46
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,572
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Try bidding jobs for Chaldeans. I'm now a Jedi in the art of defending against the haggle.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #47
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I try and get a fair price on things when I buy them on the internet. I have bought a few things off of this site and I never really haggle much because for some reason I like most of you guys

People on CL are a whole different story, when I was looking for a TJ a guy had a 97 with 150,000 miles, rebuilt title, shitty no name lift that was as old as the jeep, rusted through fenders, and a dent in the quarter panel. He was asking 10,000 for it and he got very upset with me when I offered $4,000 (I didnt even want the jeep, just seeing how he would react) "Its a Jeep, its worth that kind of money."

Some people do have a gift though, my buddies dad went with him when he was looking at a new truck. The guy was asking $24,000 for a 2006 Duramax, they offered him $17,000 on the truck and he walked away paying $20,000 for it, keep in mind that the truck is almost mint and worth every bit of $24,000. Its all about gauging the seller.
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #48
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

My dad is freaking amazing at dropping names and getting deals I would never expect. And on the other end he does not get that much below his asking price when selling something.

Most people put the price above what they want expecting to come down when people haggle within reason.

One of the few things that really gets under my skin is when people blatantly lie about what they have.

Few years ago I found a great little 71c10 454 auto 9" rear 11.27 second truck. This thing is bad azz. Engine was rebuilt, transmission was rebuilt both by a speed shop, body was good, frame was good suspension is set up and the truck is built to go fast. It was priced for $6500 and I was willing to pay that. He had some serious coin wrapped into the engine and I was getting one heck of a deal. So cash in hand I take my 88 pickup up pulling my fathers car trailer the 6 hours out of state(one way) to get it. Now, going out of state was nothing new for me especially for a car at the time. I did it a few times a year selling them for parts or projects but I was actually a bit excited about this truck because I have a thing for that body style.
I get there and everything seems ok except for the engine and transmission that was pictured had suddenly been replaced by a stockish one.

I don't get mad a lot, it takes quite a bit really, but I was so furious at that point. I felt like grabbing my shovel out of the back of the truck but I did not thankfully. After quite a bit of back and forth he admitted he had someone offer him 4k for the powertrain and sold it even though I had money down on the truck. I knew what it was worth and was a huge reason why I just drove that far was because of the power train. He offered it to me for $3,000. to which I explained the reason I wanted his pos truck was not the truck itself which I could get for $1500 damn near any time out west. It was because of the 10+k he had dumped into the drive train. After getting my down payment back I got in my truck and got out of there before I did anything I felt was justified. It was a long drive back and a good lesson learned about just how tricky people can be.

I would not have cared that much if he had just been honest with me. I probably, would have bought the truck actually. If he had just been honest and not tried to trick me like I did not know what I was looking at.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #49
Logdog
Member
 
Join Date: 02-02-12
Location: Imlay City MI
Posts: 98
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
My dad is freaking amazing at dropping names and getting deals I would never expect. And on the other end he does not get that much below his asking price when selling something.

Most people put the price above what they want expecting to come down when people haggle within reason.

One of the few things that really gets under my skin is when people blatantly lie about what they have.

Few years ago I found a great little 71c10 454 auto 9" rear 11.27 second truck. This thing is bad azz. Engine was rebuilt, transmission was rebuilt both by a speed shop, body was good, frame was good suspension is set up and the truck is built to go fast. It was priced for $6500 and I was willing to pay that. He had some serious coin wrapped into the engine and I was getting one heck of a deal. So cash in hand I take my 88 pickup up pulling my fathers car trailer the 6 hours out of state(one way) to get it. Now, going out of state was nothing new for me especially for a car at the time. I did it a few times a year selling them for parts or projects but I was actually a bit excited about this truck because I have a thing for that body style.
I get there and everything seems ok except for the engine and transmission that was pictured had suddenly been replaced by a stockish one.

I don't get mad a lot, it takes quite a bit really, but I was so furious at that point. I felt like grabbing my shovel out of the back of the truck but I did not thankfully. After quite a bit of back and forth he admitted he had someone offer him 4k for the powertrain and sold it even though I had money down on the truck. I knew what it was worth and was a huge reason why I just drove that far was because of the power train. He offered it to me for $3,000. to which I explained the reason I wanted his pos truck was not the truck itself which I could get for $1500 damn near any time out west. It was because of the 10+k he had dumped into the drive train. After getting my down payment back I got in my truck and got out of there before I did anything I felt was justified. It was a long drive back and a good lesson learned about just how tricky people can be.

I would not have cared that much if he had just been honest with me. I probably, would have bought the truck actually. If he had just been honest and not tried to trick me like I did not know what I was looking at.

That is one of the shittiest dirtbag things I have ever heard of a seller actually trying to pull. Kudos to you for not doing something stupid!
Logdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #50
Just a Spouse
Motrcytman's spouse
 
Just a Spouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lake View, AL
Posts: 7,137
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTherapy View Post
"Cash? No sorry, I don't take cash. I only trade in goats."
LOL. I may use that sometime in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I'm not a fan of haggling unless the price is rediculous.

I have bought 2 different items off the forum in the last 2 weeks. In both cases, after looking at the product, I felt the seller was asking a fair price so I told them I'll pay their asking price. Stupid on my part? Maybe, but I'm still a believer in being fair and living by the Golden rule.
Agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
I never pay more than what I feel something is worth.

I don't bother calling on something I feel is overpriced.

I can wait a long time to get what I want for what I want to pay.
Yep. You need to come to Alabama again for some Bob Sykes! LOL!
Just a Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #51
ronprice
Senior Member
 
ronprice's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-03-07
Location: Harrison/ Mi.
Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have delivered Items with no charge . Ii have dropped my price for the right reason, after talking to buyer . and still delivered it all the way or part. I seldom ask for a lower price and it seams that the seller will drop it anyways on their own . What I hate is the guy who thinks I should drop the price because they have to drive so far to get a item. Get a gas mizer for road trips dude... I have driven to all edges of the state and farther on my dime for something I want. The travel expense is a given to get what I want..
ronprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #52
swampjeep
Swamp Stomper
 
swampjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Waterford, mi
Posts: 7,657
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

not that I've done this, but I've had it done to me, and can sorta defend the "I have cash" statements. Only because I've had many people come around, negotiate a price, then not even have the means to pay the price they negotiated. So to say they have cash, may not be comparing cash to a credit card, but stating they can make the purchase at that moment and not have to go to the bank, or not going to try to trade... then again I've had people say cash deal and still not have the cash when the time came LOL
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #53
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,371
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I'm pretty laid back about buying stuff and if I feel the item is as described, usually paying asking price. Now on the other hand, if someone approaches me about buying something (they usually need cash), I usually make a lowball offer because I don't care if I get the item or not.

I get people at my shop that try to beat me up on my prices all the time. I tell them I need to stay in margin or it's not worth my time working on their car. I found out a long time ago that even though money may be changing hands, I'm not profiting enough to make it worth my time. Also, I like when people show up, get an estimate, then tell me Sucmohr Automotive down the road will do it for a lot less. I ask them for a copy of the estimate so I can compare line by line how they are getting the price down. Usually the customer can not produce the estimate and I've even gone as far as calling the other shop. Almost always the other shop is actually higher than my original quote. Buyers are liars.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #54
mideerslayer
NEVER GIVE UP!
 
mideerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-27-06
Location: Clinton Township
Posts: 3,833
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hate the one's where they say they are moving and the item must go make a offer. You make a honest offer and they tell you they want 3 or 4 times what you offered. People try to sell stuff for what they paid for it 5 years ago and wonder why no one will pay there price.
mideerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #55
dmcjeep
Senior Member
 
dmcjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Grand Haven Mi.
Posts: 9,326
iTrader: (105)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I'm pretty laid back about buying stuff and if I feel the item is as described, usually paying asking price. Now on the other hand, if someone approaches me about buying something (they usually need cash), I usually make a lowball offer because I don't care if I get the item or not.

I get people at my shop that try to beat me up on my prices all the time. I tell them I need to stay in margin or it's not worth my time working on their car. I found out a long time ago that even though money may be changing hands, I'm not profiting enough to make it worth my time. Also, I like when people show up, get an estimate, then tell me Sucmohr Automotive down the road will do it for a lot less. I ask them for a copy of the estimate so I can compare line by line how they are getting the price down. Usually the customer can not produce the estimate and I've even gone as far as calling the other shop. Almost always the other shop is actually higher than my original quote. Buyers are liars.
I agree with this. About the only thing that I would ad is not only are buyers lairs about 1/2 the sellers are also lairs.
dmcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #56
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,849
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I agree haggling is a lost art, but the problem is that most people don't even know what haggling actually is. They think it's "whats ur bottom dolla" and if you say something they think is too much, it's overpriced.

I'll ask what someone wants for something (if no price) then if their stated price is wayy to much, or even out of my price range (even if it's a decent price) i'll leave it at that.

Although I did manage to get a couple great deals on a few parts and new (er) water heater thanks to haggling lol
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #57
wilesin
Senior Member
 
wilesin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-09
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,796
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I hate when I list something in the barter section on CL with a list of items that I am willing to trade, and everyone wants to know how much cash I need for it. If I wanted cash I wouldn't have listed it in the barter section. I usually give them a ridiculous price just to get them to leave me alone.
wilesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #58
SlayerXJ
To Live is To Die
 
SlayerXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 2,823
iTrader: (93)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
not that I've done this, but I've had it done to me, and can sorta defend the "I have cash" statements. Only because I've had many people come around, negotiate a price, then not even have the means to pay the price they negotiated. So to say they have cash, may not be comparing cash to a credit card, but stating they can make the purchase at that moment and not have to go to the bank, or not going to try to trade... then again I've had people say cash deal and still not have the cash when the time came LOL
That's how i use it in an offer.
"I'll give you X cash"
meaning it's in my pocket ready to hand over.

I really, REALLY hate this "what's your bottom dollar" horseshit.

At least come out, have a look, have money, then make a friggin offer.

I realize not everyone has time/is close enough to come out and look 1st, but anyone that leads off with that question will usually get deleted.

And this ZJ that I'm selling has really brought out the clist retards. I really hate people that don't know shit about vehicles and can't read my description.

Last edited by SlayerXJ; December 5th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
SlayerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #59
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,491
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerXJ View Post
And this ZJ that I'm selling has really brought out the clist retards. I really hate people that don't know shit about vehicles and can't read my description.
That's why I ended up trading mine in. An extra $500 wasn't worth sitting on it for several months and dealing with a bunch of dickheads.
ajmorell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #60
SlayerXJ
To Live is To Die
 
SlayerXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 2,823
iTrader: (93)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

That's why i like selling here.
Most people know what the fukc they're looking at and actually wrench on stuff.

They don't expect a showroom new 95 ZJ for $1200
SlayerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.28056 seconds with 50 queries