Place to get exhaust (SE GR or Flint) - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default Place to get exhaust (SE GR or Flint)

Need to get exhaust ran in the truck, wanted to go with stacks for fording and should be quieter after the "break in" than dumping right behind the cab.

Anybody know who does good work for a fair price? Was planning on trying to set up an appointment with tuffy in cascade, but wanted to hear if there were anybody else, I have the flanges for the headers, mufflers, and rain caps I'll pick up today.

I just need it turned around quick... gotta have it all done by Wed next week so I can show it at Kettering on Thursday.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad

Last edited by Lousypirate; November 29th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,077
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

Cascade tuffy has treated my pretty well in the past,mostly just turning rotors and drums.
Rainbow muffler on 28th just west of east beltline used to do pretty good work,I dont know if Tim stills owns it or not.I havnt been there in ten yrs.
There is a shop in hastings on m43 right near the river that does nice work,a few freinds have had there pro street cars done by them.
There is a guy on m37 and garbow? That works out of his pole barn,speciallizes in trucks,and does awsume work.I cant think of his name right now but if you pm your number I can tell you exactly where his house is.You could also call Scott at caledinia napa for that guys name/number.Im not sure if that guy is still in bussiness.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Earlier this spring i meet a member that worked at tuffy on pierson road. No experience with the shop but the guy was a real good guy, his name on here started with a "b". I can't remember the rest.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,743
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
Earlier this spring i meet a member that worked at tuffy on pierson road. No experience with the shop but the guy was a real good guy, his name on here started with a "b". I can't remember the rest.
buttercr125?

Good guy.

DOubt he would willingly put "stacks" on a customer's vehicle, because we all know stacks are well....yeah...

Stacks for "fording"?

How deep of water do you plan on going into? What type of water reversion issues do you plan on having with your motor? If you run your exhaust the full length of your truck you would have to have ONE HELL of a negative vaccuum at idle to suck water back up the exhaust and into the engine to cause issues.....outside of that I can not see any reason to be concerned about "fording" and water getting into your motor.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5
kevinr839
Senior Member
 
kevinr839's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-06
Location: petersburg, MI
Posts: 841
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

no silly, this type of fording
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang%20stacks.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	98951  
kevinr839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
buttercr125?

Good guy.

DOubt he would willingly put "stacks" on a customer's vehicle, because we all know stacks are well....yeah...

Stacks for "fording"?

How deep of water do you plan on going into? What type of water reversion issues do you plan on having with your motor? If you run your exhaust the full length of your truck you would have to have ONE HELL of a negative vaccuum at idle to suck water back up the exhaust and into the engine to cause issues.....outside of that I can not see any reason to be concerned about "fording" and water getting into your motor.
Backpressure.

I can't run full length because how I have my gas tank routed. Wanted to try to get the tailpipe longer to quiet it down.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #7
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,743
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Default

Backpressure? Your engine should have plenty of backpressure to run efficiently with mufflers in place, unless you are trying to use too large of exhaust tubing.

so are you looking for enough backpressure or fording abilities or just an excuse to have stacks?

The more tailpipe you put behind the muffler the louder it will be outside the vehicel (it will echo more) but it should move the noise further from the cab, however with stacks you are just going to make it louder in the cab since the exhaust note will be leaving at ear level.

If it is the truck in your avatar there should be plenty of options for routing your exhaust around a gas tank, those trucks have a lot of open space (I've owned 2 of them).
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,743
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Default

That said.

Muffler N Go in fenton used to do custom exhaust, but the guys that worked there were dickheads, but they did good work. I haven't taken a truck to them in years, probably 10 or so.

Muffler Man in holly has done good work for me in the recent past as well. I do not know if they will do custom work.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Backpressure? Your engine should have plenty of backpressure to run efficiently with mufflers in place, unless you are trying to use too large of exhaust tubing.

so are you looking for enough backpressure or fording abilities or just an excuse to have stacks?

The more tailpipe you put behind the muffler the louder it will be outside the vehicel (it will echo more) but it should move the noise further from the cab, however with stacks you are just going to make it louder in the cab since the exhaust note will be leaving at ear level.

If it is the truck in your avatar there should be plenty of options for routing your exhaust around a gas tank, those trucks have a lot of open space (I've owned 2 of them).
If you look at my rig build thread, there is no longer a bed, the frame is bobbed, and a double is added. To ease in future mods (and fit currently, I need to run the exhaust outside the frame rails. I don't want to run the exhaust behind the tires, because there is very little room behind the tires and the future will bring a multi link setup.

Before she was parked for mods, it was running dual exhaust with glass packs, I added turnouts, that added minimal improvement.

I would think the stacks would direct the sound upward so minimal sound is bouncing off of objects.

If you have a better idea, please explain it to me. Mufflers will be under cab outside of frame rails. Will not be able to route both sides inside of them
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Taking it to tuffy Monday morning, deciding on what I'm doing this weekend
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
Cascade tuffy has treated my pretty well in the past,mostly just turning rotors and drums.
Rainbow muffler on 28th just west of east beltline used to do pretty good work,I dont know if Tim stills owns it or not.I havnt been there in ten yrs.
There is a shop in hastings on m43 right near the river that does nice work,a few freinds have had there pro street cars done by them.
There is a guy on m37 and garbow? That works out of his pole barn,speciallizes in trucks,and does awsume work.I cant think of his name right now but if you pm your number I can tell you exactly where his house is.You could also call Scott at caledinia napa for that guys name/number.Im not sure if that guy is still in bussiness.
How much they soak you for turning? J&S does them for $24 a pair for me... gotta do the dually sometime
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #12
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,743
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
If you look at my rig build thread, there is no longer a bed, the frame is bobbed, and a double is added. To ease in future mods (and fit currently, I need to run the exhaust outside the frame rails. I don't want to run the exhaust behind the tires, because there is very little room behind the tires and the future will bring a multi link setup.

Before she was parked for mods, it was running dual exhaust with glass packs, I added turnouts, that added minimal improvement.

I would think the stacks would direct the sound upward so minimal sound is bouncing off of objects.

If you have a better idea, please explain it to me. Mufflers will be under cab outside of frame rails. Will not be able to route both sides inside of them
The further you get the tailpipe from your ears the better off you are going to be.

Glasspacks are not quiet, if you want quiet get a quieter muffler.

There are plenty of quiet mufflers you can get that flow decently. I had a truck that had 2.5" mufflers of some knock off generic variety that were fairly quiet, had the mufflers under the cab with about a foot of tail pipe and turndowns, it wasn't loud in or out of the cab (old chevy 350).
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #13
boggin-machine
Senior Member
 
boggin-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-06
Location: bay city
Posts: 11,652
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

sounds to me that youve done a piss pour build and not thinking about the build if you put your gas tank in the way of the exhaust........
boggin-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin-machine View Post
sounds to me that youve done a piss pour build and not thinking about the build if you put your gas tank in the way of the exhaust........
I put more priority in protecting the gas tank than the exhaust. Also helps with weight balance
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #15
kevinr839
Senior Member
 
kevinr839's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-06
Location: petersburg, MI
Posts: 841
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

could you fit a muffler between the rockers and frame under the cab or is there no room? I am thinking mufflers and turndowns would be quieter, or maybe a muffler before the stack if you go that route. I think just stacks would not be appealing to listen to for long periods of wheeling and decent mufflers dont kill power very much.
kevinr839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #16
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,760
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Had the muffler man in Ionia do the exhaust on a 91 1/2 ton dodge like 4 years ago. They did everything behind the headers to the bumper including dual 40 flow masters. I paid like 450 ish all stainless good welds and bends.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #17
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,553
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

The muffler man in Standale does decent work. A friend of mine manages the one in Standale, his dad owns the Standale one and Jenison one I'm pretty sure they both do good work.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,982
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr839 View Post
could you fit a muffler between the rockers and frame under the cab or is there no room? I am thinking mufflers and turndowns would be quieter, or maybe a muffler before the stack if you go that route. I think just stacks would not be appealing to listen to for long periods of wheeling and decent mufflers dont kill power very much.
It's getting mufflers either way in the place you mentioned between the rockers and frame.

I'm just not sure which would be the better route. (Not listening to the people that flame just because someone considers something as a viable route)
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #19
srlbotanical
Because I Said So...
 
srlbotanical's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-07
Location: Saranac, MI
Posts: 816
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The Muffler Man at beltline and 28 (formerly rainbow) still does great work.
srlbotanical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #20
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,055
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Stacks on gassers are beyond gay. I can't believe you can't fit one 3" tube through there.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29317 seconds with 83 queries