Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (5)
Best 50 min. I've spent this week

From the Church I go to. Sunday Sermon.


If you don't believe in this stuff then that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just thought he made some very good points on our culture and our country.

If you want to hear any more from Our Pastor you can find it at the Church Website. http://hillsdalefmc.net/sermons/
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
I'm pretty sure the people of NY and NJ wouldn't take too kindly to this blowhard telling them that the devastation they endured from Sandy was simply God sending a message. That is a prime example of what turns people off from Christianity. Here we have people who lost everything, some including loved ones, and this jackass feels the need to turn it into a lesson on why we should not turn our backs on God? What a complete lack of class.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
But maybe it is? NY and the liberal society in the NE has some of the most wicked ways know to mankind. God only gives as much as one can handle. Ask Job.

One can have self reflection or one can call someone a blowhard.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
People died. People lost their homes. Telling them "we told you so since you're so wicked" is a level of classlessness that I'm surprised even the most brainwashed have stooped to.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I'm pretty sure the people of NY and NJ wouldn't take too kindly to this blowhard telling them that the devastation they endured from Sandy was simply God sending a message. That is a prime example of what turns people off from Christianity. Here we have people who lost everything, some including loved ones, and this jackass feels the need to turn it into a lesson on why we should not turn our backs on God? What a complete lack of class.
I dont go along with this, but name calling? Who are you to talk about anybody lacking class?
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
I dont go along with this, but name calling? Who are you to talk about anybody lacking class?
I called someone a name. They are saying God killed their loves ones because they were wicked. Yeah, that's in the same league.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I called someone a name. They are saying God killed their loves ones because they were wicked. Yeah, that's in the same league.
Didnt say it was the same league. OK, so maybe you arent as classless as the fire and brimstone preacher?
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Didnt say it was the same league. OK, so maybe you arent as classless as the fire and brimstone preacher?
I'll take mildly classless.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #10
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (9)
No harm, a little mild classlessness never hurt any one. Just having fun with irony.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #11
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I'm pretty sure the people of NY and NJ wouldn't take too kindly to this blowhard telling them that the devastation they endured from Sandy was simply God sending a message. That is a prime example of what turns people off from Christianity. Here we have people who lost everything, some including loved ones, and this jackass feels the need to turn it into a lesson on why we should not turn our backs on God? What a complete lack of class.
How many Christian Organizations are maxing out their bank accounts supporting those people right now do you suppose? I take a fair bet to say that any church in the area that is still up is housing people. And who are you to talk for those people. Heck, half the people I've seen on the news mention God looking out for them.

Here's my beef with your statements. Half the time people like you accuse Christians of never blaming God for the bad things. We say it's a Miracle when a child is saved from cancer but not if they die. Then you turn around and say that because we say this could be God sending our country a message that we're blowhards and jackasses? Does that seem ridiculously asinine to anybody else?


You can continue to think the God's plans are foolish or even him being a Bastard. If you're right about him being non-existent, then you really got mad at nothing. If you're Wrong about him being non-existent, you may have some things to pay for when you meet him. If he is real, and this was him sending a message about our country's path, wouldn't it be wise to heed his warning?

BTW, Children often think the parents are being far to harsh when they get punished. What he Alluded to in this message is that the only reason God is doing this, just like any other parent, is because he loves us to much to let us go down this path. He punishes us because he loves us. We can keep crying that's it's unfair and too harsh, or we can learn from our mistakes and turn to our Father who loves us so much that he is doing everything he can to get us back to him.

Also, if we're talking about God being existent, Every single person who has died in this tragedy is one of his children. Every bruised and broken heart, every complete loss of hope, every family who came home to nothing, he has to see his Children go through. Not only that but he has to endure that pain, and is willing to do so, because he wants us to come back to him that much.

Last edited by L4CX; November 13th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (7)
So how bad did we fukc up to deserve Obama?
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
How many Christian Organizations are maxing out their bank accounts supporting those people right now do you suppose? I take a fair bet to say that any church in the area that is still up is housing people. And who are you to talk for those people. Heck, half the people I've seen on the news mention God looking out for them.

Here's my beef with your statements. Half the time people like you accuse Christians of never blaming God for the bad things. We say it's a Miracle when a child is saved from cancer but not if they die. Then you turn around and say that because we say this could be God sending our country a message that we're blowhards and jackasses? Does that seem ridiculously asinine to anybody else?


You can continue to think the God's plans are foolish or even him being a Bastard. If you're right about him being non-existent, then you really got mad at nothing. If you're Wrong about him being non-existent, you may have some things to pay for when you meet him. If he is real, and this was him sending a message about our country's path, wouldn't it be wise to heed his warning?

BTW, Children often think the parents are being far to harsh when they get punished. What he Alluded to in this message is that the only reason God is doing this, just like any other parent, is because he loves us to much to let us go down this path. He punishes us because he loves us. We can keep crying that's it's unfair and too harsh, or we can learn from our mistakes and turn to our Father who loves us so much that he is doing everything he can to get us back to him.

Also, if we're talking about God being existent, Every single person who has died in this tragedy is one of his children. Every bruised and broken heart, every complete loss of hope, every family who came home to nothing, he has to see his Children go through. Not only that but he has to endure that pain, and is willing to do so, because he wants us to come back to him that much.
Again, people are dead and others have to completely start over. This is not an appropriate topic for this preacher to twist to promote his agenda. It's appalling.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #14
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
It's pretty much the equivalent of these "fellas" (no name calling here):

Pat Robertson + Jerry Falwell

John Hagee on Katrina

Pat Robertson on Haiti

I don't think these guys are good people, but I don't want to be a name caller. ;)

...But if you believe these guys make sense, I have a bridge for sale.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
So the correlation between the US turning from God and the disasters that have happened to us are just all by chance?

I don't believe that and you'd be surprised how many also don't believe that. Continue to be a Godless nation and watch the wrath of God being played out in front of you on a daily basis.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #16
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
So the correlation between the US turning from God and the disasters that have happened to us are just all by chance?

I don't believe that and you'd be surprised how many also don't believe that. Continue to be a Godless nation and watch the wrath of God being played out in front of you on a daily basis.
Your belief, would then, to me, be that people that are in more religious/god fearing areas, would get little to no disasters, right?

Edit: I think your assumption is chock full of logical fallacies.

Here's some more information on that: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/reso...fallacies.aspx

Last edited by mikesova; November 13th, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Scott2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-12
Location: Berkley
Posts: 197
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Your belief, would then, to me, be that people that are in more religious/god fearing areas, would get little to no disasters, right?
It would if you disregard the fact that solar variation causes weather and that there's nothing supernatural about it. But, if these people continue to believe that some sky-dwelling puppet master is at work here, why all the devastation in the bible-belt south?

Last edited by Scott2.0; November 14th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #18
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
I've taken logic in college. I understand how logic thought works. God is above all logic. You either believe or you don't.

I'm not sure why you still don't understand that but thanks for highligting the fact once again.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #19
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I've taken logic in college. I understand how logic thought works. God is above all logic. You either believe or you don't.

I'm not sure why you still don't understand that but thanks for highligting the fact once again.
Well, you used the term, "correlation"...so I assumed you were trying to make a logical point. From all your "logic training" in college, you should know that correlation doesn't mean causation. However, since you now are saying that God is above logic...you shouldn't really be able to say what is a punishment and what isn't, because there obviously wouldn't be any logical connection to be made. Right?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #20
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Again, people are dead and others have to completely start over. This is not an appropriate topic for this preacher to twist to promote his agenda. It's appalling.
To you it's appalling. Because you don't fully understand the heart behind his message. I tried to explain what he was saying and why, but you ignored it completely.

I would also like to put out there that a majority of those people who are mourning and having to start over have said, on national TV, that they feel strengthened and encouraged by the God they believe in.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Your belief, would then, to me, be that people that are in more religious/god fearing areas, would get little to no disasters, right?
There are plenty of times in the OT where God's people got the blunt force of his Wrath. Mostly because they continually disobeyed his laws and broke 'the rules'. Just like any other parent to their child they were punished. It's a concept we learn in before we even get to kindergarten. But because it's a national tragedy saying that it COULD be (not event that it IS) God punishing us, we're blowhards and being appalling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
It would if you disregard the fact that solar variation causes weather and that there's nothing supernatural about it. But, if these people continue to believe that some sky-dwelling puppet master is at work here, why all the deviatation in the bible-belt south?
If there's no God (IE nothing supernatural about it) then we could also conclude that It's just nature working Darwins idea of the Natural Selection. If you choose to live on a beach, made of sand, on the shore of an ocean, known for having hurricanes, then we could only logically conclude that eventually you're house will be destroyed. That if you put your loved ones and all that you own in that house you will loose it. That if your town is below sea level and only Yards from the sea, your house will eventually become flooded.

So, if we really regard the fact that solar variation causes weather and extreme situations like this, we should probably discourage rebuilding in a place that is as vulnerable as this. Is there any flaw in that logic?
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26703 seconds with 53 queries