F Snyder - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,807
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default F Snyder

I did like this guy. But with his gas tax proposal he can F off. Isn't gas costly enough? Why should Michigan have the highest gas tax? I hope the son of bitch runs out of gas on his way to dinner and no one helps his ass.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Yes, his gas tax and registration increase proposal has me pissed off as well.
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,973
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Going in he never said he wasn't against increase taxes where it fits. I don't like it either, but again I can't say I wouldn't mind roads being in better shape even if it meant I had to pay a couple cents more a gallon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #4
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Going in he never said he wasn't against increase taxes where it fits. I don't like it either, but again I can't say I wouldn't mind roads being in better shape even if it meant I had to pay a couple cents more a gallon.
This.

This helps Michigan, We do not have enough money to keep the roads in good shape. It actually costs taxpayers less money in the long run because they will have money to maintain the roads before they get so bad they have to replace the entire road!
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,305
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So how do electric cars pay to maintain the roads?
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #6
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInABox View Post
So how do electric cars pay to maintain the roads?
Thats a good point. I think that there will be a electric car tax in our future like the gas guzzler tax that we have now. Maybe the new registration costs will be higher for electric vehicles? Or they will tax our electric bills.
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Some of the projects I see around me seem to be a waste of money. They recently repaved Northwestern Highway. I drive it every day and it wasn't that bad. A couple of years ago they repaved Telegraph. Some places on Telegraph did need it but a lot didn't.
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just my $0.02...

I don't see that the roads are EVER going to get better in Michigan. We lived in Missouri for 3 years, not a single rock chip in my windshield. The past 2 years in MI I have 5 chips. And yet MO taxes are MUCH lower. I think they just use the roads as an excuse to tax more and more.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #9
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,975
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
Just my $0.02...

I don't see that the roads are EVER going to get better in Michigan. We lived in Missouri for 3 years, not a single rock chip in my windshield. The past 2 years in MI I have 5 chips. And yet MO taxes are MUCH lower. I think they just use the roads as an excuse to tax more and more.
Misseries roads don't see the abuse that michigans do.

A couple cents a gallon doesn't bother me. I will make it back in not fixing the blown out suspension under my car.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #10
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It's more than a couple cents a gallon. When we were in MO from 2007-2010 it was about $0.60/gallon cheaper. Multiply by about 40 gallons a week for me and that equals $24/week or rougly $100/month difference just for 1 car! Michiganders have and will get hosed on gas. You just don't realize it until you leave the state.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #11
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,807
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Taxing gas isn't the way to do it. Tax the heavy hauler trucks more. Ie gravel trains steel haulers and garbage trucks. Those do the most damage to the roads. Or another way TOLL BOOTHS! Charge the out of state drivers also that use the roads to get from Canada to Ohio and beyond. And the gas tax won't help with the roads that much.

Michigan is the only state that allows trucks to haul more than 80,000 gross. Some gravel and steel haulers can haul 160,000 lbs and more. Those are what does the damage. Not the cars. And the freeze thaw cycle isn't as bad as most think. Drive a Canadian or Minnesota road. They are no where near as bad as ours.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,205
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Taxing gas isn't the way to do it. Tax the heavy hauler trucks more. Ie gravel trains steel haulers and garbage trucks. Those do the most damage to the roads. Or another way TOLL BOOTHS! Charge the out of state drivers also that use the roads to get from Canada to Ohio and beyond. And the gas tax won't help with the roads that much.

Michigan is the only state that allows trucks to haul more than 80,000 gross. Some gravel and steel haulers can haul 160,000 lbs and more. Those are what does the damage. Not the cars. And the freeze thaw cycle isn't as bad as most think. Drive a Canadian or Minnesota road. They are no where near as bad as ours.
I can see that one.

Our roads get beat up more than a cheap whore.
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #13
SANDVIPR
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
 
SANDVIPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,450
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Taxing gas isn't the way to do it. Tax the heavy hauler trucks more. Ie gravel trains steel haulers and garbage trucks. Those do the most damage to the roads. Or another way TOLL BOOTHS! Charge the out of state drivers also that use the roads to get from Canada to Ohio and beyond. And the gas tax won't help with the roads that much.

Michigan is the only state that allows trucks to haul more than 80,000 gross. Some gravel and steel haulers can haul 160,000 lbs and more. Those are what does the damage. Not the cars. And the freeze thaw cycle isn't as bad as most think. Drive a Canadian or Minnesota road. They are no where near as bad as ours.
This. I don't know of any other state that allows permits to be pulled for these extreme weights. Double up the number of the loads and give the roads a break.
SANDVIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Taxing gas isn't the way to do it. Tax the heavy hauler trucks more. Ie gravel trains steel haulers and garbage trucks. Those do the most damage to the roads. Or another way TOLL BOOTHS! Charge the out of state drivers also that use the roads to get from Canada to Ohio and beyond. And the gas tax won't help with the roads that much.

Michigan is the only state that allows trucks to haul more than 80,000 gross. Some gravel and steel haulers can haul 160,000 lbs and more. Those are what does the damage. Not the cars. And the freeze thaw cycle isn't as bad as most think. Drive a Canadian or Minnesota road. They are no where near as bad as ours.
How would that help all of the state? I wouldn't want to pay to drive SE MI roads and have the toll money go to fix roads in the UP (Just an example). ANd you state charge the out of state drivers? How would you charge just those drivers??

Good idea, but not practical.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #15
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,807
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
How would that help all of the state? I wouldn't want to pay to drive SE MI roads and have the toll money go to fix roads in the UP (Just an example). ANd you state charge the out of state drivers? How would you charge just those drivers??

Good idea, but not practical.
Toll booth money go to maintain the road they are on. And the out of state drivers have to pay the toll example. A resident of Ohio using I75 to get to Canada pays a toll on I75 in turn that cash helps to maintain the road. Not that hard to figure out.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #16
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Toll booth money go to maintain the road they are on. And the out of state drivers have to pay the toll example. A resident of Ohio using I75 to get to Canada pays a toll on I75 in turn that cash helps to maintain the road. Not that hard to figure out.
Is there that much traffic to justify constructing booths, staffing people, and maintaining the booths?
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #17
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,942
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

They need to start using the technology that is available to build roads better to begin with. We should not be seeing roads deteriorate within 3-5 years of a repave. The road construction lobby is very strong. They spend a lot of money paying off people to use old standards for building roads. This keeps their construction companies working. The unions support it too. If we built roads that last 20+ years, they fear they would be out of work.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #18
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,807
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJEEP View Post
Is there that much traffic to justify constructing booths, staffing people, and maintaining the booths?
Sure there is go spend an hour or two at the ambassador bridge. Look at all the plates on the cars let alone the truck traffic that comes in and goes to other states.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #19
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,573
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Personally I like the idea of toll roads but it is very costly to convert an existing highway/interstate into a toll road because the state is required to give a huge sum of money back to the federal government. The sum closely corresponds to the dollar amount that the feds have paid for all the maintenance on that particular stretch of road since it was first built, but I cannot recall the exact formula.

Building (or rebuilding when doing maintenance) the roads to higher standards and lowering the weight limit on heavy trucks would probably be a much easier long-term solution than retrofitting I-75 or I-94 into a toll road.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #20
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,419
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
They need to start using the technology that is available to build roads better to begin with. We should not be seeing roads deteriorate within 3-5 years of a repave. The road construction lobby is very strong. They spend a lot of money paying off people to use old standards for building roads. This keeps their construction companies working. The unions support it too. If we built roads that last 20+ years, they fear they would be out of work.


This!!!!
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.21992 seconds with 80 queries