Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Pole Barn Wall HT for Lift

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  FORD FLARESIDE 
#1 ·
I am planning to build a 40x60 pole barn next spring. Will 12' walls be adequate for a lift intended to accommodate a full size truck? My rough numbers tell me that I'd only get around 5' of lift which would put the frame rails at 6'6" above the ground. I'm only 5'10" so that would probably be OK, but I'm looking for validation. My original estimate was for 14' walls but another thread here indicated that people are using 12' walls more often.

The cost savings of dropping from 14' walls to 12' walls is only $960 or so, but that's the furnace and the interior walls which I was going to have to do over time.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
My shop has 12' ceilings. I have a Complete Hydraulics 10,000 pound hoist, and a Challenger 10,000 pound. Both have overhead cable trays. The Challenger was supposed to fit under a 12 foot ceiling, and measure 143-7/8". It actually measured 145-1/2" The hassle with dealing with Challenger made me wish I had built 14' walls. I would go 14' if i were to build again.

#5 ·
I have a lift with the drive over cable tray. It looks like you'll be fine but we were looking at cutting a channel in the roof for an overhead Tray with 11' walls. I wish we had the 14' ceiling with the drive over because it only lifts my father's conversion van 4' off the floor with the 11' ceiling.

#7 ·
I was going to suggest a scissor truss/cathedral setting for where the hoist is.

the picture I posted in haggar's thread shows the roof line with the 2nd story loft and open area is the same height behind it.

when he had his lift installed, he tested it by putting his wife's brand new suburban on it :teehee: said it was insured, and they make more every day - he didn't want to have a first try failure with his '72 Shelby GT350 on it :teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.