Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

JK to TJ: Need Info

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  89yjon 
#1 ·
I sold my 08 Unlimited Rubicon about 6 months ago. The mileage sucked with 35's and 4" lift. I commute 34 miles one way. That, and that awesome V6 was the cat's ass!:sonicjay:
Now I miss Jeeping. So I'm looking at an 06 Rubicon. Just wondering if any TJ owners know of anything problematic that I should look for when inspecting it.(?) I'm new to the TJ and it's hard searching for the little things to look out for.

If there is anything, please let me know. It is completely stock as it sits, and will probably just put some 33s on her.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
the 06 rubis are nice. if its an automatic you will have to gear very low to get good mpgs with 33's, at least 4.88.
if you dont gear it properly any vehicle will get bad mpg. with a stick gear to 4.10 or 4.56
expect in the 16 to 18mpg area if geared and driven properly on 33's.

the opdg (cam pos sensor/distributor) are known to be problematic. its not expensive or hard to fix though.

they are quality jeeps! enjoy

#8 ·
I couldn't agree more. If an $18,000-$20,000 budget is OK on a TJ, I think the new Sport Unlimited with the 3.6L is right up your ally. It wouldn't take more than the factory 3.73 option to turn 33's, heck the 255 Sport Tires are 32's.

It seems that the best mileage any lifted swb Jeep gets is about 16.
Yah, On a side note, I haven't broke 11.5 in the HEMI JK. I actually thought it would get better than stock 3.8L oh well!

#6 ·
Find a buddy with a tj and ride in them they are very different then your 08. 35" tires 4" lift and I'm guessing a automatic. What kind of mileage did you expect? You are not going to do any better with a tj.
I had a 01 (non abs) and ripped that 3 speed out within a year and installed a aw-4, got sick of that and put in a 5 speed shortly after, then I rolled it.

Tj's are tight, little rigs, they have electrical gremlins which a goggle search will help you with, but overall they are not terrible. Even with the 5 speed me and my heavy foot never averaged over 20mpg in the tj. But, it is a jeep and you should expect that kind of mileage.

Most people that drive rigs with 35" tires have a secondary 4 banger to go back and forth with.

If you want power there are tons of yj's out there with v8's linked and junk for 1/2 the price. If you want a 4 person option you can look into a Scrambler. They are many around under 15k if you be patient and look. (honho's smart ass remark here).

More power (usually) means less fuel mileage though. Want lots of power and good mileage loose some weight. Personally I like the v6 in that unlimited mated to a 6 speed. But, to each is there own.

#10 ·
I sold my 08 Unlimited Rubicon about 6 months ago. The mileage sucked with 35's and 4" lift. I commute 34 miles one way. That, and that awesome V6 was the cat's ass!:sonicjay:
Did you regear it or just expect bigger, heavier tires to yield good fuel economy?

Honestly, if mileage and ride quality are your main concerns in a DD a Jeep is probably not something you should be looking at.

I don't mind the way my JK rides, or the mileage, but I accept it for what it is.

I can tell you this you are going to be spending some coin on a nice long arm for a TJ to get it to ride as good as a stock JKU...

Also, thinking back, I believe Kerry's TJ got something like 10-12mpg on 35's with 4.56(?) gears. My JKU with 5.38's and 37's gets around 15-16 city and around 17-18 on the highway if I keep it around 65-70.

#11 ·
Look for an 06 LJ, the extra 12" wheelbase is awesome, and you will like the extra 15" of interior space. All the advantages of a TJ plus a much better drive. My 06 LJ Rubi is so much better than my 04 TJ Rubi. If I did not have so much money in mods in my TJ I would sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.