Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

RYOBI and Home Depot bringing the suck?

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  hondadirtracer 
#1 ·
First off I'm by far no professional contractor that uses drill bits on an every day basis, but I've found I need a small set for work lately. Quick and easy went to Home Depot and bought a set of RYOBI.

Good god. Ching Ling Dong and Rong Chong Fong can't make fucking drill bits straight. At least half in the ~20 bit set were bent right from the factory. I returned them today and the girl at the return line didn't even ask what was wrong with them or check to see if all the bits were there. Put a sticker on it and told me to swipe my card. Obviously the first person to return a set of these :poke:

#7 ·
i dont use drill bits alot. had a cheap set that were really getting dull.
i got a set of cobalt drill bits at harbor freight. had them 2 years now.
they still work pretty good? i have broke a couple small ones.
just go slow, and dont over heat them, they will work.

for once cheap china crap actually worked ok?

#9 ·
These were actually 6 sided at the base hence for either quick change or tighten at chuck. I had only used 2 or 3 and only one was bent. I went through and checked the rest Saturday before the weekend and at least half were bent never even using them before. Even checked with another 2 drills.

#10 ·
I work at home depot and will attest that the ryobi do suck. First time I have heard of bent but yes they are terrible quality. The only decent drill bits we carry for metal are the ridgid cobalt and for wood only the titanium dewalt because they put a brad point on them which only brings the suck when drilling in metal.

#15 ·
harbor freight bits, and learn how to sharpen them on a bench grinder...

#17 ·
They didn't ask you anything because thats their return policy. They take pretty much anything and everything if you have a receipt, no matter whats wrong with it.

My sister worked for them. She told me that a regular scammer came in trying to return a weedwhip. She checked inside, and there was an old ass chainsaw and some trash. She called the manager, and he ended up returning it because the guy was getting irate. Lots of other old junk power tools in place of the ones that should be in the box. Countless empty cans of paint that "The color wasn't what I wanted."

#20 ·
Going back to Ryobi, I have a set of cordless tools from them from about 8 years ago. The batteries lasted almost 5 years that came with that set. Now any battery I buy from them lasts less than a year. I have to say their tools held up just fine for me but the battery situation is pissing me off.

#22 ·
but seriously, i have more cheap bits than expensive ones and a drill doctor was one of my better investments. even with cheap my bits i can still drill a hole.
nothing can be done about bent bits but if you want the most out of your straight cheap ones, it's a good investment.

my $99 Ryobi drill press has drilled a hell of alot of holes in the past few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.