Big Bore AR Uppers? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Great Outdoors Guns, Cannons, Fishing, Camping, and other fun stuff

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1
04PSD
aka Langford
 
04PSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: La Salle, MI
Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Big Bore AR Uppers?

Well, we knew it was only a matter of time...feral hogs have moved into our property in Gladwin and have been tearing the place up. So this gives me the perfect excuse to build a new hog gun.

I have been doing a bit of reading, and it seems like the .450 bushmaster, .458 socom and the .50 beowulf are the 3 main choices when it comes to big bore rounds for the AR-15 platform.


Out of those 3, I'm leaning towards the .458 because of the ammo selection...you can get bullets from 250 grains all the way up to 600 grains (bullet selection with the .450 is extremely limited, and the .50 isn't much better). Another benefit is that you can use regular AR .223/5.56 mags with the .458, which you can't with the .450 or .50 without modification. The only downside of this round compared to the other two that I have found is the price, it is 2-3x more expensive per shot (and I don't reload).


Anybody have an AR in any of those calibers or done any shooting with one? Pro's/con's that I didn't mention? Reason to stay away from them, or chose one round over the others?


I realize that this isn't a long range gun, but it doesn't need to be...I wouldn't be shooting more than 150 yards or so. I just like the idea of a semi-auto with decent capacity (10 rounds of .458 in a 30 round standard AR mag), that is capable of throwing 300 grain bullets at around 2000 fps.

There are a few different manufacturers making complete uppers, but this one has caught my eye...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Complete.../TR-458LW16UP/
04PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,240
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

My dad has the .50 and i love shooting it. All my buddys that have shot it liked i. We were shooting a plate, the size wont come to me at the moment, but i could stick my thumb through the hole it left in the plate. History channel did a show with the .50 and shot it through the front of a car it went through the motor, firewall,seats and out the back. They showed the entrance and exit.
masterbeatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
04PSD
aka Langford
 
04PSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: La Salle, MI
Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

are you talking .50 beowulf or .50 bmg?

Last edited by 04PSD; August 27th, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
04PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,240
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

beowulf. im looking for the video now of the guy shooting the car.
masterbeatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Bullhed78
Senior Member
 
Bullhed78's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-11-11
Location: Linden, MI
Posts: 891
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Do you already own an AR-15 lower? If you do you may want to look into the 300 blackout. The only thing that has to be changed from a .223/5.56 platform is the barrel.it is availible in sub sonic and super sonic loads. If you do not already have an AR-15 have you thought about an AR-10 platform? The AR-10 platform supports .243, .308, .338 federal calibers (I may have missed so also?).
Bullhed78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

458 socom. .50 beowulf is meh.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
blade262us
Senior Member
 
blade262us's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-10
Location: Grant/MI
Posts: 262
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Big Bore AR

I have 2 of the 450 bushmasters a 16 inch and a 20 inch . The reason I chose that round is availabilty . I have never seen the 50 bewulfe in a store and neither the 458 . I went up north last yr and there was the 450 bushmaster on the shelf at jays so that sealed it for me . I reload for it , its pretty much a 45acp almost double the length and if you dont put a heavy buffer in the gun it has quite the sting . Being its .452 diameter bullet you could and can use any 45acp bullet to reload it the 458 is .458 diameter so again availability . Hornady developed the 450 and got bushmaster involved and they were onboard if they could put their name on it hence the 450 bushmaster being hornady developed it I think it will be around for quite awhile . I really like shooting them and plan to take a deer with it this yr to see what it can do . Standard 20 or 30 round mags for .223 work for this gun they sell a special follower which I guess is something that again is standard for bench shooters that makes the clip a single stack and with that you can only fit 9 rounds of 450 in a 30 rd 223 mag . Ill see if I can get a couple pics on here very cool looking round with the 250 gr hornady leverevolution bullet .
blade262us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,802
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I sympathize with your need to buy a new firearm. Why not shoot the little fuckers with .223? A 77gr SMK would put a hurting on a hog I'd imagine.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #9
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
My dad has the .50 and i love shooting it. All my buddys that have shot it liked i. We were shooting a plate, the size wont come to me at the moment, but i could stick my thumb through the hole it left in the plate. History channel did a show with the .50 and shot it through the front of a car it went through the motor, firewall,seats and out the back. They showed the entrance and exit.
your sofaking dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullhed78 View Post
Do you already own an AR-15 lower? If you do you may want to look into the 300 blackout. The only thing that has to be changed from a .223/5.56 platform is the barrel.it is availible in sub sonic and super sonic loads. If you do not already have an AR-15 have you thought about an AR-10 platform? The AR-10 platform supports .243, .308, .338 federal calibers (I may have missed so also?).
338 federal is a good round and 300 blackout with 220 gr rn bullets would be good for hogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade262us View Post
I have 2 of the 450 bushmasters a 16 inch and a 20 inch . The reason I chose that round is availabilty . I have never seen the 50 bewulfe in a store and neither the 458 . I went up north last yr and there was the 450 bushmaster on the shelf at jays so that sealed it for me . I reload for it , its pretty much a 45acp almost double the length and if you dont put a heavy buffer in the gun it has quite the sting . Being its .452 diameter bullet you could and can use any 45acp bullet to reload it the 458 is .458 diameter so again availability . Hornady developed the 450 and got bushmaster involved and they were onboard if they could put their name on it hence the 450 bushmaster being hornady developed it I think it will be around for quite awhile . I really like shooting them and plan to take a deer with it this yr to see what it can do . Standard 20 or 30 round mags for .223 work for this gun they sell a special follower which I guess is something that again is standard for bench shooters that makes the clip a single stack and with that you can only fit 9 rounds of 450 in a 30 rd 223 mag . Ill see if I can get a couple pics on here very cool looking round with the 250 gr hornady leverevolution bullet .
Omg someone not sofaking dumb. stick around lol.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
I sympathize with your need to buy a new firearm. Why not shoot the little fuckers with .223? A 77gr SMK would put a hurting on a hog I'd imagine.
no. it wouldnt. it would blow up and make a shallow wound. you want big solid bullets. hogs have big bones, thick hide and lots of fatty meat.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #11
04PSD
aka Langford
 
04PSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: La Salle, MI
Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yeah, I already have an AR-15...but an ar-10 is definitely on my list of wants.

As for availability...I'm not too worried about that because I usually order my ammo in bulk online when I find decent sales. So being available from a local store off the shelf isn't a priority.

.223 may do the job, but hogs have a pretty solid bone mass covering their vitals, which is why I wanted to go with a solid heavy bullet...something with a lot of stopping power that could drop a charging hog in its tracks. That's one of the reason I didn't look too much into the .300 blackout, I was under the impression that the bullet weights were on the lighter side. But I will have to do a little more reading on that round.
04PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #12
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

.300 blackout is great with a 220 gr hornady RN, 900~ FPS is easily obtainable. your talking 30-30 power levels. a 170 gr hornady rn would be just fine for killing pigs deer and minorities.

I have killed deer with .223 remington, I wouldnt use it hog hunting. you would have to shoot the fukc out of them and thats unacceptable.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #13
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

ive shot the .50 beowulf as well. highly recommend it! kicks like a 12 gauge with 3" mag's Uses the same .223 lower and i think it can even use the same mags as well.






Think of it as a .45 it dont move fast but when it gets there its going to wreck something.

also if you hand load you save lots of $$$ as i think its 34 bucks for 20 rounds!!!! and you can also get the 550 grain sledge hammer round! normal is 350 grain.

Getting kinda pricy for the upper.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316...round-magazine

Last edited by shifty_85; August 28th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #14
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
also if you hand load you save lots of $$$ as i think its 34 bucks for 20 rounds!!!! and you can also get the 550 grain sledge hammer round! normal is 350 grain.
lots of .50 bullets avalable? more than the .458?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

http://shop.umlautarms.com/50-Beowulf-Reloading_c16.htm

Theres a few out there.
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #16
04PSD
aka Langford
 
04PSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: La Salle, MI
Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Remember though, I don't reload...so I'm stuck using factory ammo. And I believe the beowulf round is proprietary....so you are limited to ammo from Alexander Arms, unless you are willing to shoot somebody else's hand loads. I think the .450 bushmaster is the same.
04PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #17
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PSD View Post
Remember though, I don't reload...so I'm stuck using factory ammo. And I believe the beowulf round is proprietary....so you are limited to ammo from Alexander Arms, unless you are willing to shoot somebody else's hand loads. I think the .450 bushmaster is the same.
450 bushy
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=9938&
458 socom
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=9958&
50 beowulf
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=9878&
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
no. it wouldnt. it would blow up and make a shallow wound. you want big solid bullets. hogs have big bones, thick hide and lots of fatty meat.
So in other words if someone wanted to go steveo hunting......
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #19
blade262us
Senior Member
 
blade262us's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-10
Location: Grant/MI
Posts: 262
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Big Bore

Well by Steveo,s last post if you dont reload and you dont own a 450 bushy your not shooting for awhile . Backorder ok is no fun . The 450 may be proprietary but its proprietory for one of the largest ammo manufactures so I still think the 450 is the safest choice for having ammo availability . And if you reload like I said earlier it shares the bullet diameter .452 of the 45 ACP Im pretty sure youll find those bullets anywhere .



http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...nsionid=16159&


Here,s a copy paste of a review of the bullet from a guy that pig hunts with it .

Michael D. Lindley, M.D. of New Orleans, LA
5 stars Date Posted: 07/13/2012I have killed 10+ wild pigs with this bullet in both my own handloads and also in factory ammunition. In a word: devastating! Not a single animal has taken a step after being hit with this freight train of a bullet out of the 450 Bushmaster. Accuracy has been phenomenal as well. I wish I had the ability to post photographs of both the wounds as well as the targets I've shot. I am using Hodgdon Lil Gun powder with great success in terms of velocity and accuracy. Also, using a Leupold 3-9 x 40 mm Ultimateslam scope with the SABR reticle gives perfect holdover compensation for the ballistics of this round.

Last edited by blade262us; August 28th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
blade262us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #20
Tim
I UNDERSTAND!!!
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-07
Location: Brooklyn, MI
Posts: 494
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have done a lot of shooting with the .458 Socom and I think its a hell of a cartridge. Recoil is surprisingly mild, its accurate and 45/70 ballistics in a small little package is impressive. My Dad has shot a couple of bears with his and it did the job well.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.38529 seconds with 81 queries