Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Well pressure tank failing. Anyone replace on recently?

860 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
So, my pressure tank is failing. Has anyone replaced one recently? I am looking around at what size to buy. We have five people in our family, with one shower, four indoor faucets, two outdoor, the washing machine and a dishwasher.

I don't have a problem with installing it myself. Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
I will probably does this, just go with the next size up. I have looked online and found about 100 different formulas on what size to buy. I was just thinking that someone might have had it done recently (or one of our many plumbers) would know how to correctly size it. Don't really feel like dealing with the high-school dropout (and I know not all of them are) at Lowes or Home Depot.

#6 ·
#7 ·
im no plummer but in my house I replaced mine with the same size tank but a 40/60 switch instead of a 30/50 and it gives me all the pressure I need to run muliple things. I just cut the power and turned all the faucets on and drained the system and then switched the tank/switch. Turned back on and checked for leaks and havnt had any problems since.

#9 ·
also its a perfect time for a new pressure gauge too since your right there, they are cheap. Like Topheavy said I also have to give my 40/60 a few turns so it kicks on at 43ish and off at 65ish but it was set below 40 from the factory so its always best to readjust and make sure your pressure it where you want it..

#11 ·
Typically, bigger = better, for the life of your well pump. The switch contacts and well brushes take the most beating at startup when you have very high inrush currents. So the recommendations I've seen are to size it so that your well pump runs at least 2 minutes to fill it.

I actually have a big unused well tank, that I never installed at my last house, and then since have moved. If you want, I can find out the size/specs on it. Its a sears/craftsman. Its pretty big, about 2ft diameter and about 3 ft tall, I think a 1 or 1.25" threaded pipe fitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.