"Back to Basics" Early CJ-5 Resto-Mod - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #41
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Take a bunch of pictures...I've never been.
I have a few good ones. Have to wait till I get home to load them. My fingers are too fat for the keyboard on this damn phone.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #42
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here is a link to the pics.....

My trip to the Bantam Jeep Festival 2012 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #43
green50gt
Got rocks?
 
green50gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-08
Location: Goshen, IN 46528
Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (49)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Great pictures! Thanks a lot for posting those. I know what you look like now. Ok so that had to give you some sort of inspiration/motivation - what's next?
__________________
I heart Jeeps
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #44
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Great pictures! Thanks a lot for posting those. I know what you look like now. Ok so that had to give you some sort of inspiration/motivation - what's next?
Inspiration, or depression?????

The hell with it.....I'm going to the dealership and buying a new one....
Wanna buy a cj5?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #45
creeping death
I'm that guy.
 
creeping death's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: MUSKEGON, MI. 49442
Posts: 8,020
iTrader: (83)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post

The hell with it.....I'm going to the dealership and buying a new one....
Wanna buy a cj5?
there would be no surprise there.

some day, i hope we find whatever the fukc it is we are chasing so this madness can end.

and, the cj is looking titties.
__________________
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker.
creeping death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #46
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yeah, no shit man.
My biggest problem is my wallet can't sustain my thirst for building stuff. I would be happy with a mild CJ, if I could just find a couple sorry saps to open up thier wallets for me to build some crazy shit for them. It would be cool to be able to build the stuff I cant afford to do my self.
Everyone seems to ask the same question, "How come you dont do this" or "How come you dont link it, and run coilovers" Fact is, if I built every car/truck/jeep with all the trick stuff they have these days, I'd be broke and living in a trailer, taking the Smart bus to work. I use to do one build a year, whether it be a jeep or hot rod, but its just to tough to balance car payments, a mortgage, and play with these stupid jeeps anymore. My problem is I have to many interests. One day I want to build a jeep, and the next I want to build another Model A Hot-Rod.....I'm allfucked up Joe
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #47
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I got the springs back in, and have everything half ass bolted in. Think I'm going to have some problems with the steering, and trying to find room to mount the front shocks on these stupid narrow trac axles. May have to end up moving the axle back a tad. I'm not really 100% sure if I like the shackle mounts I ended up with for the front, but with the springs being so long I ran out of frame, and had to put them on the fornt bumper. So I'll probably end up scraping the whole frickin idea. May just end up making this a fishing boat or something.

Been gathering parts, and just doing a bunch of little stuff that doesn't make for very good pics. Like washing/sanding down five 20ft. sticks of tubing with WD40. NOT FUN.....(thanks Kevin) And trying to figure out what parts I need to get me to the next point.

I'll get some pics of the springs and profile shots of the cj later.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #48
Easy_E
Web Wheeler !
 
Easy_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-07
Location: St Johns Mi
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Yeah, no shit man.
My biggest problem is my wallet can't sustain my thirst for building stuff. I would be happy with a mild CJ, if I could just find a couple sorry saps to open up thier wallets for me to build some crazy shit for them. It would be cool to be able to build the stuff I cant afford to do my self.
Everyone seems to ask the same question, "How come you dont do this" or "How come you dont link it, and run coilovers" Fact is, if I built every car/truck/jeep with all the trick stuff they have these days, I'd be broke and living in a trailer, taking the Smart bus to work. I use to do one build a year, whether it be a jeep or hot rod, but its just to tough to balance car payments, a mortgage, and play with these stupid jeeps anymore. My problem is I have to many interests. One day I want to build a jeep, and the next I want to build another Model A Hot-Rod.....I'm allfucked up Joe
I just looked at your pictures posted in the other thread. Looking at all the jeeps you pictured and what you didn't picture your building what your interested in.
I go through the same thing being undecided all the time. I just shut the door for awhile and come back when my head and or cash is right.
Easy_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #49
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yeah stuff doesn't stick around long in my shop if i dont work on it though. I usually end up loosing interest in something if I dont work on it at least a couple days a week. Shit changes that fast around here. I'm either hot or cold. I think I may Adult A.D.D.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #50
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,203
iTrader: (53)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Yeah stuff doesn't stick around long in my shop if i dont work on it though. I usually end up loosing interest in something if I dont work on it at least a couple days a week. Shit changes that fast around here. I'm either hot or cold. I think I may Adult A.D.D.
LUCKY!!! My Adult A.D.D came with a side-order of Pack Rat-idus. I don't work on anything AND I fear selling anything.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #51
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default


That's some funny shit.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #52
green50gt
Got rocks?
 
green50gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-08
Location: Goshen, IN 46528
Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (49)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Well when you get bored with this I think it's time for a road trip...you can come finish my white TJ for me!! Too bad you don't have a TJ to play with. I would pay you to build me a tire carrier similiar to what you did on the praying mantis TJ. Anywho, anxiously awaiting pictures.
__________________
I heart Jeeps
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #53
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Well when you get bored with this I think it's time for a road trip...you can come finish my white TJ for me!! Too bad you don't have a TJ to play with. I would pay you to build me a tire carrier similiar to what you did on the praying mantis TJ. Anywho, anxiously awaiting pictures.
Posting a few updated pics here shortly.
I would have a TJ if you would just sell me your Pewter one. Or just bring it down and drop it off for a few days, and I can build the carrier for it.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #54
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Alright....Ended up with using some mounts, and shackles from Ruff Stuff, and the rest of the perches and plates, and misc. bushings form Jepperz Creeperz.
This shit is HARCORE.....







This is where the stance and wheel base ended up. Back is streched about 2", and the front is roughly 3"-4".....Just enought to mess up the steering. And yes....I know. The D-ring mount is not going to work with the shackle mount there. I have to cut them off in move them inside the shackle mounts. Not to happy about the perches being on the bumper, but its either that or a three link.
If anyone has a passenger drop Waggy axle, or pass. drop narrow 44 let me know. (60" would be perfect)







Last edited by itchy; August 16th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #55
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Before and after.
First pics is with the 4" Skyjacker springs.
Second pic is with the stock YJ springs with a little wheel base stretch.


itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #56
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Now I just have to get this somebitch to fit in side that little ass chassis.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #57
green50gt
Got rocks?
 
green50gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-08
Location: Goshen, IN 46528
Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (49)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

It is serving as my daily driver right now, I will hopefully speak a bit more serious closer to winter.

What size tire are you planning on running? I love the slight stretch, though personally I am not a fan of the spring over. Id like to see it sprung under again with maybe some 4" YJ springs. Also I think I'd like to see the shackle mount higher on the face of the bumper, then a shackle that more or less would follow the same contour of the front bumper - if that could even be pulled off - but not really "classic."

I noticed you said something about the front axle, are you planning to keep this width on the axles?

Do you have a paint color in mind?(sorry if I missed it)
__________________
I heart Jeeps
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #58
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,203
iTrader: (53)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

3-link. And lower it 10".
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #59
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
It is serving as my daily driver right now, I will hopefully speak a bit more serious closer to winter.

What size tire are you planning on running? I love the slight stretch, though personally I am not a fan of the spring over. Id like to see it sprung under again with maybe some 4" YJ springs. Also I think I'd like to see the shackle mount higher on the face of the bumper, then a shackle that more or less would follow the same contour of the front bumper - if that could even be pulled off - but not really "classic."

I noticed you said something about the front axle, are you planning to keep this width on the axles?

Do you have a paint color in mind?(sorry if I missed it)
The spring over isnt my first choice either, but I dont really want to buy new springs. I wanted a wider set of Waggy axles for this, but just cant seem to find any in a passenger drop. I'm doing some research right now on switching over to a NP231 to get the drivers drop, so I could run a newer TJ/Xj axle with an 8.8 out back. But doing all of this just pretty much throws a months worth of work in the gutter. And I dont know if its really worth all of that. And I dont know if the 231 is longer than the 300. Working on figuring out the measurments.
I would ultimately like to end up with a wider trac axle of some sort, with the 34X10.50 TSL Super Swamper tires. The TJ/XJ 30 would work perfect. That way I could do the WJ knuckle conversion on it, and get the high steer, and the big brakes. But that all depends on getting the 231 to work.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #60
itchy
Senior Member
 
itchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-06
Location: Brownstown, MI. 48174
Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

And as far as paint go's......Today I'm still going to paint it the original Renegade Blue, with the factory stripe package. Thats today though. Tomorrow I may paint it green, then next week it may end up Red. Are you noticing a pattern here???? I already bought the blue, so its a pretty good chance thats the color it will end up. Unless you want to buy it, and then I'll paint it what ever color you want.

Last edited by itchy; August 17th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30658 seconds with 81 queries