Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default *HELP! 350 Warrior Motor Rebuild!

So when I was up in Cheyboygan for the 4th of July my Warrior blew up.
We knew that the bottom end was getting bad and took it to our local shop and they confirmed that it was the crank giving us problems.

I found a rebuild kit online for <$300 and I would like to fix it myself (the shop wanted $1000 for the fix) I am looking for someone who could help me with the fix. I can pull the motor and probably split the case pretty easily but after that I have no idea what I am doing.
Anyone work with small motors and willing to help me out? Your time will be compensated!

I am located in Rochester but my parents live in Waterford, can transport the bike to either location.

Thanks!

Sam
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
YFZdude
aka Mike
 
YFZdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-11
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well pulling it apart is always the fun part.

I suggest getting a manual. If for no other reason, you should follow the torque specs on the jug and head and get the valves and cam(s) back in proper. As a plus, if you are mechanically minded you can put it together without much help. But the exploded diagrams or steps (depending on the type of manual) make it easier to not have 'leftover parts' when you are done putting it back together.

But don't take my advice to mean you shouldn't enlist an experienced helper. That's always a good idea the first time.
YFZdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3
chris1044
Senior Member
 
chris1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lost in the mitten!
Posts: 2,011
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoboy View Post
So when I was up in Cheyboygan for the 4th of July my Warrior blew up.
We knew that the bottom end was getting bad and took it to our local shop and they confirmed that it was the crank giving us problems.

I found a rebuild kit online for <$300 and I would like to fix it myself (the shop wanted $1000 for the fix) I am looking for someone who could help me with the fix. I can pull the motor and probably split the case pretty easily but after that I have no idea what I am doing.
Anyone work with small motors and willing to help me out? Your time will be compensated!

I am located in Rochester but my parents live in Waterford, can transport the bike to either location.

Thanks!

Sam
I'd offer, but I'm extremely busy. Do yourself a favor, and search any type of small engine (two stroke included) bottom end rebuild on google. You'll come across some pictures and that's basically all you need to know.

Crank bearings are not hard to replace as long as you have the proper tools, and any crank work you'll still have to have a shop do (likely - rod bearings, balancing, etc.).

I second the above post that you should get the manual. It's probably going to be 40 bucks, but it'll be worth it.
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
90Notch306
Senior Member
 
90Notch306's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-05-10
Location: Waterford, Mi
Posts: 723
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Before you start spliting the cases get a manual or exploded views of the motor. There are a few washers that you have to be really careful with when taking it apart. As in not knowing they are there and they fall out then you don't know where they go.

If you can, buy oem instead of hot rods or wiseco. What year warrior is it? Since you are opening it up I would strongly recommend replacing the cam chain, cam chain tensioner, and piston/rings, valve seals. Regardless of what they look like. Also inspect everything closely.

One special tool I would invest in is a flywheel puller. You will need a special tool to do the valve seals also but I could possibly do it for you. I'm also in waterford so let me know if you need any advice/help
90Notch306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:54 AM   #5
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Notch306 View Post
Before you start spliting the cases get a manual or exploded views of the motor. There are a few washers that you have to be really careful with when taking it apart. As in not knowing they are there and they fall out then you don't know where they go.

If you can, buy oem instead of hot rods or wiseco. What year warrior is it? Since you are opening it up I would strongly recommend replacing the cam chain, cam chain tensioner, and piston/rings, valve seals. Regardless of what they look like. Also inspect everything closely.

One special tool I would invest in is a flywheel puller. You will need a special tool to do the valve seals also but I could possibly do it for you. I'm also in waterford so let me know if you need any advice/help
I ordered a service manual already, it should be coming in soon. I was going to get a wiseco kit.....is there a reason to turn away from this one?

It is a 97 warrior... Are you willing to help me with this? Ill pay ya!
I can get it out and do all of that but you sound like you know what you are doing and I really just need that experience haha.
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
90Notch306
Senior Member
 
90Notch306's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-05-10
Location: Waterford, Mi
Posts: 723
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Pm'd ya
90Notch306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
trailbuggy
Member
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Location: westland,mi
Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://www.yfm350.com/forums/index.php
trailbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #8
motoman3b
Member
 
Join Date: 07-31-06
Location: onondaga MI
Posts: 79
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Having rebuilt a warrior motor myself, one word of advice make sure you dont set any parts off to the side I got the cases back together and forgot the drum that controls forward and reverse... needless to say I had to tear it down again and install that so just be organized and double check everything and you'll be fine!
motoman3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #9
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman3b View Post
Having rebuilt a warrior motor myself, one word of advice make sure you dont set any parts off to the side I got the cases back together and forgot the drum that controls forward and reverse... needless to say I had to tear it down again and install that so just be organized and double check everything and you'll be fine!
Thanks,

Well it looks like I will be taking it to a shop this friday. I have the motor out of the quad and the top end off.

A few people said that they would help me and when the day came to start they were/still are MIA.

I called a few other people and cannot get a phone call back so it looks like I am out of options
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.17340 seconds with 28 queries