Looking for advice - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,055
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzr2 View Post
i wouldnt say dumb. but maybe not capable of building a whatever truck
Everybody has to start somewhere. Why dog somebody for trying to learn and build his first rig? He is doing research so he can build a "whatever rig". What sweet ass perfect rig have you built?
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #22
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzr2 View Post
i wouldnt say dumb. but maybe not capable of building a whatever truck
I may not be up on terminology but I can make just about anything. When I come across something that I don't about, I just consider it a challenge and I usually figure it out in the end. I love taking on new challenges. If you don't try new things and new challenges life gets pretty boring.
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #23
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere. Why dog somebody for trying to learn and build his first rig? He is doing research so he can build a "whatever rig". What sweet ass perfect rig have you built?
Well said. Thank you.
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #24
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere. Why dog somebody for trying to learn and build his first rig? He is doing research so he can build a "whatever rig". What sweet ass perfect rig have you built?
Your statement is vallid but I have to admit thinking this thread was going pretty smoothly considering our dick waving history.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #25
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I'll offer some input. It's hard to make an "everything" vehicle. As you add capabilities to your rig, you will be subtracting favorable characteristics from from your vehicle. As you add lift and big tires, your rig's road manners and braking become unfavorable. The truely "everything" vehicle does not exist. Instead you have choose or build a vehicle that is a compromise on all fronts so it does ok on the road and pretty good off road. When you go one direction or the other something must give way. You can have a great trail rig, great mud bogger, great sand dragger, great rock crawler, or great road driver, but a vehicle that is capable of anything you throw at it doesn't exist.

Hope this helps guide you with your choices.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #26
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I'll offer some input. It's hard to make an "everything" vehicle. As you add capabilities to your rig, you will be subtracting favorable characteristics from from your vehicle. As you add lift and big tires, your rig's road manners and braking become unfavorable. The truely "everything" vehicle does not exist. Instead you have choose or build a vehicle that is a compromise on all fronts so it does ok on the road and pretty good off road. When you go one direction or the other something must give way. You can have a great trail rig, great mud bogger, great sand dragger, great rock crawler, or great road driver, but a vehicle that is capable of anything you throw at it doesn't exist.

Hope this helps guide you with your choices.
Excellent point and great advice. I should have thought of that on my own. Now I just have to decide which attribute that I want more. Since it will be an everyday vehicle, I'll opt for better road handling and be satisfied with (acceptable) off road performance. Thx

Last edited by moosecat; July 12th, 2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Better wording
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #27
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

trail rig = almost any stock to mildly built rig. Good road manners and does "so-so" off road.
mud bogger = big tires, & lots of HP. High center of gravity. Not good for much else. Poor road manners.
sand dragger = small tires but not streetable. Low center of gravity. Lots of Hp. Usually single purpose & not a trail rig.
rock crawler = depends on definition. 37-40" tires. Great trail rigs, will handle almost any terrain. so-so on the road.
road driver = good on mild offroad experiences but not good for anything above mild.

If you are looking to get involved in offroading but don't know what you really want to do, put a set of 33 - 35" tires on any 'ol rig and start getting involved.

One other point, in today's world, trespassing and tearing shit up just to have fun is frowned on and hurts the entire sport. just something to keep in mind...................
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #28
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
trail rig = almost any stock to mildly built rig. Good road manners and does "so-so" off road.
mud bogger = big tires, & lots of HP. High center of gravity. Not good for much else. Poor road manners.
sand dragger = small tires but not streetable. Low center of gravity. Lots of Hp. Usually single purpose & not a trail rig.
rock crawler = depends on definition. 37-40" tires. Great trail rigs, will handle almost any terrain. so-so on the road.
road driver = good on mild offroad experiences but not good for anything above mild.

If you are looking to get involved in offroading but don't know what you really want to do, put a set of 33 - 35" tires on any 'ol rig and start getting involved.

One other point, in today's world, trespassing and tearing shit up just to have fun is frowned on and hurts the entire sport. just something to keep in mind...................
I like the idea of just getting involved and going from there. As far as trespassing and tearing stuff up, I'm not into that kind of thing. I wouldn't want it done on my land..
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #29
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I was offered a 2006 dodge 2500hd long bed 4x4 it has 73000 miles. It looks like it's in great shape, and it's a 4door. I know it's probably too big to go trails and that doesn't bother me. But would it be to big to go offroad with?
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecat View Post
I was offered a 2006 dodge 2500hd long bed 4x4 it has 73000 miles. It looks like it's in great shape, and it's a 4door. I know it's probably too big to go trails and that doesn't bother me. But would it be to big to go offroad with?
Personally, I think that truck would suck off road. You want something with a modestly short wheel base to effectivly off road with. Since you are just starting out, I would suggest a Jeep Cherokee or a Suzuki Samurai. Both these vehicles can be bought fairly cheap and they are both tough as hell considering what you would pay. I would also suggest having a daily driver you don't off road because as you become more experienced off road, you well test your vehicle capabilities to the point that you WILL break something. If you are wheeling your daily driver, you will now be in a world of hurt unless you have another vehicle to drive.

I would get the truck and use it as a tow rig for your trail beater. You can get a off road vehicle and trailer for $2000-$3000, then you DD driver will remain unmolested.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #31
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well, I think I found my first rig project. I met a guy today that has a 1989 grand wagoneer. It's got a lift kit and I think he said 33 inch tires. Anyway, they were big! He was telling me a little about it. That thing is a tank! He said hw uses it quite often on the road with no handling problems. All I know is that I want one. He said that the 1989 year was the best. Any thoughts?
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #32
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 3,196
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

avoid rust. thats all.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #33
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecat View Post
Well, I think I found my first rig project. I met a guy today that has a 1989 grand wagoneer. It's got a lift kit and I think he said 33 inch tires. Anyway, they were big! He was telling me a little about it. That thing is a tank! He said hw uses it quite often on the road with no handling problems. All I know is that I want one. He said that the 1989 year was the best. Any thoughts?
If you want a giant fuel guzzling rig, that one will do an excellent job.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #34
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
If you want a giant fuel guzzling rig, that one will do an excellent job.
Mileage is that bad? Well, back to the drawing board.
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #35
two_much_talk
sit down shut up and ...
 
two_much_talk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-13-06
Location: MI
Posts: 5,712
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

yes it will be that bad.

I love my Grand Cherokee but need to sell it to finish my Wrangler. Not trying to sell you mine, just saying.

It has regularly been driven down the highway, hit the trails and is driven back no problem. Rides good even after being lifted. They can be cheap to buy. Easy to work on. And easy to find parts for. I think it would make a good starter all around rig.

Just a thought.


Last edited by two_much_talk; July 14th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #36
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecat View Post
Mileage is that bad? Well, back to the drawing board.
My bad, I had a dyslexic moment and was thinking it was a full size monster. A 1998 Grand Wagoneer is actually a pretty capable vehicle in stock form and is very well supported by the aftermarket industry.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #37
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Nice looking rig. Does anyone know of or have exp with a Tundra or Titan? Sorry for all the questions. But anytime I get into something new I research it to death before I make my first move. Then to the dismay of my wife I jump in with both feet.But, I never go half way and won't quit til it's donw right. I do appreciate you guys letting me pick your brains though.
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #38
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

There are more options and aftermarket parts around for jeep products than any other vehicle. Plus, why you want to buy foreign?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #39
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
There are more options and aftermarket parts around for jeep products than any other vehicle. Plus, why you want to buy foreign?
I don't necessarily want to but foreign. Just checking out my options.
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #40
moosecat
Newbie
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: michigan
Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What is a good site for offroad accessories for Jeep or Dodge?
moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
Tags
( done ) right. :)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 1.33114 seconds with 80 queries