which motor should i get for my harley? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default which motor should i get for my harley?

I have a 98 softtail custom that i am really craving more horsepower in. I still want to be able to take day trips and have it be reliable for the most part. I am looking at the ultima motors and i am going between the 107, 113, 120, 124 bagger and the 127. The 127 takes a little frame modification but it is simple so that isn't a deal breaker. I can get any one of them for 3500-4000 so price isn't a deal breaker between any of them. I want the most horsepower I can get without having to deal with it breaking all the time. Anyone have any real world experience and not just reading about them on the internet?
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Bleay
sick of jackstand wheelin
 
Bleay's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: Clawson
Posts: 1,378
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

For that kind of money I would just buy a 2nd bike.
Bleay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleay View Post
For that kind of money I would just buy a 2nd bike.
Ya, well a $4000 bike doesn't fix the fact that i want more horsepower.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #4
dougstephvoor
Supreme Chancelor!
 
dougstephvoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Saranac/Michigan
Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I seen a guy going North bound on M-66 a couple of weeks back, he was in front of me an 1/8th mile and out of no where he was 1 mile North of me. after a while I seen this guy turning around a few miles North at a cross road, riding a bike with a 350 chevy V-8 on a bike frame, I never seen any shit like that, and don't know what that cost, but I am guessing the weight to HP rating on that is up their.

I think you should look into a motor on two tires. with a seat bolted to the bell housing of the tranny.
__________________
Supreme Chancellor!
dougstephvoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstephvoor View Post
I seen a guy going North bound on M-66 a couple of weeks back, he was in front of me an 1/8th mile and out of no where he was 1 mile North of me. after a while I seen this guy turning around a few miles North at a cross road, riding a bike with a 350 chevy V-8 on a bike frame, I never seen any shit like that, and don't know what that cost, but I am guessing the weight to HP rating on that is up their.

I think you should look into a motor on two tires. with a seat bolted to the bell housing of the tranny.
It was probably a boss hog, kinda cool but mostly gay. The 127 nets you about 135 HP and the 107 is around 110hp. I just don't know how much reliability you lose with the bigger motor.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

This one, even comes with a complete bike. Use the extra $400 to get rid of the ghey flamer paint job.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcd/3062175827.html

or this one and call it a day
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3061827443.html
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
This one, even comes with a complete bike. Use the extra $400 to get rid of the ghey flamer paint job.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcd/3062175827.html

or this one and call it a day
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3061827443.html
Riding a rocket sucks, being able to beat a rocket with a Harley is priceless.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,143
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

2012 vmax engine, 199hp
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Riding a rocket sucks, being able to beat a rocket with a Harley is priceless.
When I had my rocket that happened all of 0 times. When I get my next rocket, it will happen negative times.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
When I had my rocket that happened all of 0 times. When I get my next rocket, it will happen negative times.
Still doesn't change the fact that rockets are Ghey and so are people that ride them.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #11
1 ton tj on 40's
Senior Member
 
1 ton tj on 40's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-12
Location: not sure
Posts: 4,253
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

S an s motors are the way to go
1 ton tj on 40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #12
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that rockets are Ghey and so are people that ride them.
Says the guy who gets spanked everytime he lines up next to one.

Have fun trying to build a fast tractor.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton tj on 40's View Post
S an s motors are the way to go
They are nice but you pay for the name more than anything. End of the year closeouts you can pick up the ultimas for 3500, s&s is around 9000 for the same thing.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #14
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Says the guy who gets spanked everytime he lines up next to one.

Have fun trying to build a fast tractor.
LOL, it isn't all about speed. It is having your cake and eating it too. A friend of mine has an ultra with the ultima 113 and he gets into the 10's in the quarter mile with it. Another friend has a softtail with the ultima 107 and he runs high 10's. The ultra has full bags, a comfortable seat and a radio. You can sit back and relax and not look like a retard fucking a football.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
LOL, it isn't all about speed. It is having your cake and eating it too. A friend of mine has an ultra with the ultima 113 and he gets into the 10's in the quarter mile with it. Another friend has a softtail with the ultima 107 and he runs high 10's. The ultra has full bags, a comfortable seat and a radio. You can sit back and relax and not look like a retard fucking a football.
Must suck balls to slam on the brakes to make a slight left curve on one of those heavy pigs. But between weighing a thousand pounds, floor boards 2 inches off the ground, and being loud with a shitty noise most definitely makes for the best of both worlds...

Never once did I need a radio on my bike to keep me entertained.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #16
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,066
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

If you build a harley that beats crotch rockets in qt mile it will be a unreliable tempermental pos on the street.
Any 1000cc rocket with a " rider" will run 10 flat stock.Your hogg needs a bottle,a turbo,alcahaul or something exspensive to even come close.If you put a little guy on a rocket with big balls,a extended swing arm and a air shifter,your vtwin aint touching him for less then you can buy a house for.And he's gona ride his shit all day and not put a wrench on it.
Im not anti harley,or pro rocket,I just spend a lot of time at the drag strip,with freinds on both.
My freinds run s/s stuff and they make power,but it is apples to oranges as far as v twin vs in line rice.
I recomend buying a mild motor that is built like a brick shit house,not for max power,but reliability.Then match your gearing/tire/clutch together and beat it like a rented mule.
I have raced a lot of shit, and learned long ago that the right combonation wins,not the guy with the biggest motor or the guy that bolted on every part he could buy.
Most harleys are either 11/12 sec bikes or full on nitro wheelie bar bikes,from what I see.
A freind of mine is suposed to have a 10 sec bagger.I know it should run for what he has spent on the motor/trans.Of course his 12 sec cummins was gona beat my camaro,his big block charger was gona beat my camaro,neither came close.Beating crotch rockets on a harley is not priceless,but really,really fucking exspensive.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #17
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
If you build a harley that beats crotch rockets in qt mile it will be a unreliable tempermental pos on the street.
Any 1000cc rocket with a " rider" will run 10 flat stock.Your hogg needs a bottle,a turbo,alcahaul or something exspensive to even come close.If you put a little guy on a rocket with big balls,a extended swing arm and a air shifter,your vtwin aint touching him for less then you can buy a house for.And he's gona ride his shit all day and not put a wrench on it.
Im not anti harley,or pro rocket,I just spend a lot of time at the drag strip,with freinds on both.
My freinds run s/s stuff and they make power,but it is apples to oranges as far as v twin vs in line rice.
I recomend buying a mild motor that is built like a brick shit house,not for max power,but reliability.Then match your gearing/tire/clutch together and beat it like a rented mule.
I have raced a lot of shit, and learned long ago that the right combonation wins,not the guy with the biggest motor or the guy that bolted on every part he could buy.
Most harleys are either 11/12 sec bikes or full on nitro wheelie bar bikes,from what I see.
A freind of mine is suposed to have a 10 sec bagger.I know it should run for what he has spent on the motor/trans.Of course his 12 sec cummins was gona beat my camaro,his big block charger was gona beat my camaro,neither came close.Beating crotch rockets on a harley is not priceless,but really,really fucking exspensive.
my goal isn't to have the fastest bike on the street. Dreezy is a fast and furious faggot that would pay top dollar to suck Paul Walkers dick and it is fun fucking with him. All I want is to add some extra pep to my bike. I just re-gasketed the top end because I had a leaky head gaskets and threw on the s&s super E carb and intake kit. It has hooker step tune exhaust and i am getting ready to order a better ignition system. I don't want to put heads, cam or big bore it because the cases on those can't take too much punishment. So if i want more speed a whole new motor with billet cases is kind of my only option. From what I have seen the 107 seems less tempermental than the 113 but it is also 2 different owners. Who knows the 107 May just be tuned better. I would like to talk to someone that has owned multiple of the different motors or has spent a lot of time working on them. I want to know how big I can go and still be reliable. I have spent a shit load of time looking on the internet and reading reviews but it is hard to seperate people who actually know and people that are just copy pasting.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Freak
Wheelin the HD
 
Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-07
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 7,227
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Freak Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Default

Harlys fucking suck, rice rockets blow, no matter who plants thir ass on the seat thier brain turns to mush. Loud pipes don't save lives, wheelies aren't for the street, 90% of the dickbags on these bikes need to grow up.
__________________
Motors hate me, axles fear me.

I got your jeep thing, now my damn Chevy wont start, and its missing a wheel.
My build: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=206107
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #19
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
my goal isn't to have the fastest bike on the street. Dreezy is a fast and furious faggot that would pay top dollar to suck Paul Walkers dick and it is fun fucking with him. All I want is to add some extra pep to my bike. I just re-gasketed the top end because I had a leaky head gaskets and threw on the s&s super E carb and intake kit. It has hooker step tune exhaust and i am getting ready to order a better ignition system. I don't want to put heads, cam or big bore it because the cases on those can't take too much punishment. So if i want more speed a whole new motor with billet cases is kind of my only option. From what I have seen the 107 seems less tempermental than the 113 but it is also 2 different owners. Who knows the 107 May just be tuned better. I would like to talk to someone that has owned multiple of the different motors or has spent a lot of time working on them. I want to know how big I can go and still be reliable. I have spent a shit load of time looking on the internet and reading reviews but it is hard to seperate people who actually know and people that are just copy pasting.
There were motorcycles in the fast and the furious?

As fas as wanting to be reliable on a Harley, I would guess your best bet would be to leave it stock. Anything else would just be embarrassing.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #20
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,989
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Harlys fucking suck, rice rockets blow, no matter who plants thir ass on the seat thier brain turns to mush. Loud pipes don't save lives, wheelies aren't for the street, 90% of the dickbags on these bikes need to grow up.
I couldn't ever get my bike to wheelie, but it would lay rubber from a roll...
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 1.71075 seconds with 80 queries