Gitchee Gumee Revisited - Page 10 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #181
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Without a screen shot, there is a trail just south of the old tower (3 or so miles) that heads west on the north side of the turkey lakes, crossing griffin (or norberg) creek and then the Batchawana. That's the spot we are talking about.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #182
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,626
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcoupe View Post
can you send me a screen shot of this area of river crossing ?

I know the area well. my family have a hunting camp 6 mi above the tilley lakes, just past the acid rain headquarters on your way upto the old tower. In the past we have hunted most of the 38 rd and tribag mine rd

we had a group of 6 rigs go up and try to tour the mine 2 years ago, water was high in the batchewana river from all the rain that fall. made the 25 mi trip up tribag mine rd just to get denide because the 3rd stream, more like a river now, that crosses the trail, and enters the batchewana river, north of the falls, just north of the gravel pit had washed out 1 side of the bank into a vertical 15foot rise on the other side of the trail. the ATVs that were hunting in the area winched up the other side by 1 guy sitting on his front rack.

if this is the same river crossing you mentioned above, be ready to winch for half a day just to get up the other side, cause its straight uphill and a very mucky clay bank on the other side now
That river crossing has been washed out pretty bad for a few years now but I have never had to pull cable to get up the other side. I heard that where the trail runs right next to the river just north of there has washed out a little bit. I have been avoiding that section of the tribag when going up to the mine lately. It is faster to just go up the carp road and loop around to the mine.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #183
XJcoupe
1ton XJ
 
XJcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-11
Location: Sault Ont.
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Without a screen shot, there is a trail just south of the old tower (3 or so miles) that heads west on the north side of the turkey lakes, crossing griffin (or norberg) creek and then the Batchawana. That's the spot we are talking about.


the trail that heads back around the north side to turkey lake is only used by atv, meaning 1 track, butt in the winter, sleds use it like a freeway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric99tj View Post
That river crossing has been washed out pretty bad for a few years now but I have never had to pull cable to get up the other side. I heard that where the trail runs right next to the river just north of there has washed out a little bit. I have been avoiding that section of the tribag when going up to the mine lately. It is faster to just go up the carp road and loop around to the mine.
good to know Carp Rd is still passable to get to the mine
XJcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #184
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcoupe View Post
the trail that heads back around the north side to turkey lake is only used by atv, meaning 1 track, butt in the winter, sleds use it like a freeway .
Why? Is it grown in with trees or simply that no wider vehicles have used it?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #185
XJcoupe
1ton XJ
 
XJcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-11
Location: Sault Ont.
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Why? Is it grown in with trees or simply that no wider vehicles have used it?
yup - both
XJcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #186
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Would we be able to find it from the Tribag rd side?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #187
XJcoupe
1ton XJ
 
XJcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-11
Location: Sault Ont.
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

if you go by that screen shot that i posted, and go to google earth site where the trail takes a little jont around the rock mountain, there are 2 pics posted of the washouts on google earth, but there much bigger now, and nobody has fixed it. the tribag mine road is washed out right up to the rock face, on the edge of the river

this is right accross the road now
XJcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #188
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

looks like fun
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #189
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,626
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcoupe View Post
if you go by that screen shot that i posted, and go to google earth site where the trail takes a little jont around the rock mountain, there are 2 pics posted of the washouts on google earth, but there much bigger now, and nobody has fixed it. the tribag mine road is washed out right up to the rock face, on the edge of the river

this is right accross the road now
yup, that is the spot that I was saying is washed out north of the 3rd river crossing. You do not want to go into the river there It is deep.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #190
XJcoupe
1ton XJ
 
XJcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-11
Location: Sault Ont.
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i just hate to see you guys get all the way up there, just to turn back a mile or 2 just before the mine, just because the water runs pretty fast, even in the fall time

XJcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #191
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcoupe View Post
i just hate to see you guys get all the way up there, just to turn back a mile or 2 just before the mine, just because the water runs pretty fast, even in the fall time

That is a planned stop.
I'm assuming the rivers are pretty low this year????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric99tj View Post
yup, that is the spot that I was saying is washed out north of the 3rd river crossing. You do not want to go into the river there It is deep.
You promised me that you would go first for anything we wanted to attempt. It's the only reason we are bringing you.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #192
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,626
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks for the FYI. If we cross the batch where Jim is talking we would be north of that wash out so we should be ok getting to the mine.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #193
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,626
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post

You promised me that you would go first for anything we wanted to attempt. It's the only reason we are bringing you.
I never said I would not try it.. I am just saying that it is deep and we may need to retrieve my rig a few miles down stream.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #194
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

XJCoupe, tks for the info

I agree with Jim, looks like fun.
Here's bigger screen shot showing the potential crossing. The simple question is: Is there a crossing from Chippewa to Batchawana besides Hwy 17 or Batchawana Station?

There's also a abandoned bridge with deep water that I can't find my notes of where it's at. Nothing left but some piers and some side supports.

Where's that picture of the trucks in front of the rapids taken? WR, You apparently know? Just not familiar to me. Must not have gone up there enough.
Jim-kb8ymf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griffin crossing.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	96790  

Last edited by kb8ymf; September 20th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #195
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcoupe View Post
the tribag mine road is washed out right up to the rock face, on the edge of the river

this is right accross the road now
I'm wondering if the MNR has any sort of maintenance budget to work from or do they just wait till a timber cutting permit is issued and let the logging company improve the infrastructure. I know it would suck if they just closed the road with a berm because they were reluctant to fix it.

It sure would be a shame if some of this remote boondocking that is still available in Canada falls prey to the downstate 'close it, don't fix it' attitude our land use agencies have gotten.
This however takes action by the local commuity of 4 wheelers. I'm not aware of any group up there who has taken 4WD actiivity serious enough to try working with the MNR to keep these opportunities open and available. It's a shame too because the snowmobile community has and it's evident each time a impact statement comes out, the snowmobile groups are always mentioned as a recreation but the 4WD is not. The ATV crowd is just scratching the surface but still not recognized as a group to be accounted for.

j-kb8ymf

Last edited by kb8ymf; September 20th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #196
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,626
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
I'm wondering if the MNR has any sort of maintenance budget to work from or do they just wait till a timber cutting permit is issued and let the logging company improve the infrastructure. I know it would suck if they just closed the road with a berm because they were reluctant to fix it.

It sure would be a shame if some of this remote boondocking that is still available in Canada falls prey to the downstate 'close it, don't fix it' attitude our land use agencies have gotten.
This however takes action by the local commuity of 4 wheelers. I'm not aware of any group up there who has taken 4WD actiivity serious enough to try working with the MNR to keep these opportunities open and available. It's a shame too because the snowmobile community has and it's evident each time a impact statement comes out, the snowmobile groups are always mentioned as a recreation but the 4WD is not. The ATV crowd is just scratching the surface but still not recognized as a group to be accounted for.

j-kb8ymf

There is signs on the tribag south of there that states that the MNR does not maintain beyond that point. With the river crossings south of this washout, i would not expect any maintenance done. From my understanding from someone that was there a few weeks ago is, removing a couple trees would give you enough room to get around the washout. Who knows if any locals have done that though.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #197
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
XJCoupe, tks for the info

I agree with Jim, looks like fun.
Here's bigger screen shot showing the potential crossing. The simple question is: Is there a crossing from Chippewa to Batchawana besides Hwy 17 or Batchawana Station?

There's also a abandoned bridge with deep water that I can't find my notes of where it's at. Nothing left but some piers and some side supports.

Where's that picture of the trucks in front of the rapids taken? WR, You apparently know? Just not familiar to me. Must not have gone up there enough.
Jim-kb8ymf
Yes, and you were there. circa Paul's steering failure.
edit, you weren't with us the following year so now I don't know.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #198
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Must be because there's more water.
j-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #199
BigBird
Duck Shootin' Wheelerer!!
 
BigBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Soo, Ontario
Posts: 4,919
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Question Need some help here... read it all and answer question at bottom... Please!!

I'm getting nervous...

I changed t-cases, axles, springs, rad, and had the trans out to get the output changed.

Old SBC / TH350 / NP231C / stock axles and 35" Boggers / HS9500
New SBC / TH350 / NP205 / Dana 44's (Chromo'd front w/Detroit/drive slugs and stock/welded in the rear) Hydro-assist w/high-steer and different pump, New aluminum rad without internal oil cooler (Now external), New Skid plate and T-caase mounting, Shocks all on 38.5 TSL's on beadlocksetc... All since March.


I did my d-shafts at work, but the double cardon on the rear was pooched, so I took it into a shop 2 weeks ago to get it fixed and a little more clearance ground into it, and get an rear output yoke for my NP205 to bolt an XJ front shaft to... First they brought in the wrong output (was supposed to be here last Thursday). Went Monday, not done and found out it was the wrong output... Guy says no problem, I'll have you one tomorrow (Tuesday). I go there Wednesday afternoon, still no output and d-shaft is still not touched. It'll be ready on Thursday... I call there today and the Output won't be here til Monday AND they didn't have the centering yoke for the double cardon in stock AND it'll be here on Monday with the t-case yoke.... FAAAAWWWWWWKKKKKK!!!! I am off until Monday, and had hoped to wheel it this weekend as a beat down run BEFORE we went next weekend... Now I work Monday and Tuesday Dayshift (12 hour) and Wednesday and Thursday Nightshift (12 hour... was planning on "Takin 'er easy during the last half of my Night on Thursday to be wheelable on Friday)...

I am only going to get a couple of hours of Beat down on Wednesday before I go in for nights...

Do you think I should still go, even though it will not have much seat time before Friday...

Need some help here!!!????
BigBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #200
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,070
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Hard call for sure. We're going to be a long ways from a place to get a trailer with the days already planned to be long. On the other hand, I don't want to turn someone away from a fun trip. But, we'll be running 50 mph on the highway, a lot of gravel, and some challenging trails. Nothing to sneeze at.

I guess the real answer has to be in your first shakedown run and your confidence level. Not to be rude at all, but do you consider the work done to be top notch or somewhat cobbled? Cobbled is not good.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.48258 seconds with 81 queries