Rat rod 4x4 - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysjeep View Post
I'd drive it over a camry any day of the week.
I think it would need a little more lift to get over a camry.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM   #22
swampjeep
Swamp Stomper
 
swampjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Waterford, mi
Posts: 7,906
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMO MAN View Post
Looks like a dirt /sand drag racer or a hill climber to me, I love it
exactly what I was thinking, I was definitely reminded of the a sand drag seeing this.
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Smiley
Senior Member
 
Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-26-05
Location: Byron Center
Posts: 814
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Wasted effort. I'm not into form over function to the point that function is nearly eliminated. I also think "rat rods" look like crap.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM   #24
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,773
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Wasted effort. I'm not into form over function to the point that function is nearly eliminated. I also think "rat rods" look like crap.
See I tend to love the rat rod culture. Taking something that would otherwise be scraped and actually driving it always gets a from me. Sure beats something that spends most of it's life indoors or on the back of a trailer.

From a road and light trail use rig perspective this thing functions great in that aspect. It is much better then most rat rod jeeps where the front axle is simulated because it was simply easier to make it rwd.

I suppose if you prefer something that sits up on jack stands at shows with the axles chromed out then then a rusted rat rod with a patina covered grill that took years to get that look driving in off the street with dirt stains on the tires would seem like a wasted effort.

I personally Hate trailer queens. I understand the $$$ and the fact that most consider them "art" at a point. But as far as functionality goes it is still a car and built to be driven not pulled off a trailer, placed on a rug with a rope around it, and polished up despite never being in a condition where it would get dirty.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM   #25
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Wasted effort. I'm not into form over function to the point that function is nearly eliminated. I also think "rat rods" look like crap.
You mean you don't like those hacked up rear wheel wells? Me neither. Looks cheasy.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM   #26
cannaert
No more Jeep
 
cannaert's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-24-06
Location: Hartland/Fenton
Posts: 3,536
iTrader: (73)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cannaert
Default

That would be fun to cruse around in.
cannaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:58 PM   #27
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,433
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
You mean you don't like those hacked up rear wheel wells? Me neither. Looks cheasy.
That's about the only thing I would fix. Other than that I'd daily drive this thing.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM   #28
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,546
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
See I tend to love the rat rod culture. Taking something that would otherwise be scraped and actually driving it always gets a from me. Sure beats something that spends most of it's life indoors or on the back of a trailer.

From a road and light trail use rig perspective this thing functions great in that aspect. It is much better then most rat rod jeeps where the front axle is simulated because it was simply easier to make it rwd.

I suppose if you prefer something that sits up on jack stands at shows with the axles chromed out then then a rusted rat rod with a patina covered grill that took years to get that look driving in off the street with dirt stains on the tires would seem like a wasted effort.

I personally Hate trailer queens. I understand the $$$ and the fact that most consider them "art" at a point. But as far as functionality goes it is still a car and built to be driven not pulled off a trailer, placed on a rug with a rope around it, and polished up despite never being in a condition where it would get dirty.
Rat rods have devolved to the point where many now are nothing more than marginally operable vehicles made even more marginal with hacked mods.

Used to be where the $$$ were spent on the mechanicals, and whatever the body was, it was. Now we have 'rat rods' where the tires are taller than the roof. Stupid.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #29
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,433
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Rat rods have devolved to the point where many now are nothing more than marginally operable vehicles made even more marginal with hacked mods.

Used to be where the $$$ were spent on the mechanicals, and whatever the body was, it was. Now we have 'rat rods' where the tires are taller than the roof. Stupid.
I'd say that would be the case with this one. mechanically its in good shape, the body is what it is.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM   #30
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,546
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
I'd say that would be the case with this one. mechanically its in good shape, the body is what it is.
Seatbelts would help.

The way he was bouncing around in there did not look like fun.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.20124 seconds with 50 queries