Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,281
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default Is anybody using a secondary natural gas supplier?

I'm thinking about switching to Bishop in Midland.

http://www.bishopenergy.com/index.ph...id=5&Itemid=17



Are there any cons that I'm missing out, or something I'm not seeing?

If they are historically 17% less then consumers at all times of the year, and you have to pay the distribution charge either way, why wouldn't I switch?
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
buttercr125
I work out
 
buttercr125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Fenton, mi
Posts: 2,547
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I was kinda curious about this as well. I keep getting letters in the mail telling me how much money I would save by switching. Usually I just throw them away but last night I acautlly opened it read through the whole thing and it had me thinking.
__________________
If your thinking about dealing with JoshuaCripe read the link below first!!
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=219276
buttercr125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Bishop
Senior Member
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Location: brighton, atlanta, MI
Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Default

Don't do it!!!
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM   #4
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,426
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Don't do it!!!
That's very helpful.
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Bishop
Senior Member
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Location: brighton, atlanta, MI
Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
That's very helpful.
Did you miss the humor?
I've actually never even heard of them.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,426
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Did you miss the humor?
I've actually never even heard of them.
Oh because our name is Bishop? Yeah I missed the humor because it wasn't funny.
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Ridin Dirty
kixx007 wants to be me
 
Ridin Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: Metamora,Mi.
Posts: 8,923
iTrader: (149)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
Oh because our name is Bishop? Yeah I missed the humor because it wasn't funny.
Are you ovulating?
__________________
"It's all good. We've caught a lot nicer shit than this on fire"
Ridin Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #8
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Did you miss the humor?
I've actually never even heard of them.
I missed the humor.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #9
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,179
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I missed the humor.
Same here.

I get the name thing. But he could have done a lot better with that post.

D-
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Bishop
Senior Member
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Location: brighton, atlanta, MI
Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Default

Ok Ok I suck, forgive me. I just wok up, have a mild hang over. Not to mention the Asian Zing and Mango Habanero wings from last nite have me a little heated.

Carry on with your other gas discussions.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #11
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,332
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Wife signed us up for IGS, so I guess I'll see how much anal rape is involved soon.


I don't see how they can be cheaper since they have to pay to use Consumer's infrastructue.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM   #12
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I got a letter the other day wanting me to switch. Problem is the closest pipeline is 3/4 of a mile away. Do you think they'll run a new line to my house?
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #13
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,281
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Wife signed us up for IGS, so I guess I'll see how much anal rape is involved soon.


I don't see how they can be cheaper since they have to pay to use Consumer's infrastructue.
Consumers charges a "distribution fee" which is for the lines. You have to pay this no matter who you purchase your gas from. Companies like Bishop allow you to buy in bulk or pre-buy and they store it for you. Consumers is not allowed to make any money on the sale of natural gas, so they simply pay spot price and charge you what they pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdogeo8 View Post
I got a letter the other day wanting me to switch. Problem is the closest pipeline is 3/4 of a mile away. Do you think they'll run a new line to my house?
You don't have natural gas at your house? I've had generator customers luck out and consumers would run a line for free down their street.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM   #14
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Consumers charges a "distribution fee" which is for the lines. You have to pay this no matter who you purchase your gas from. Companies like Bishop allow you to buy in bulk or pre-buy and they store it for you. Consumers is not allowed to make any money on the sale of natural gas, so they simply pay spot price and charge you what they pay.



You don't have natural gas at your house? I've had generator customers luck out and consumers would run a line for free down their street.
Consumers wanted $35,000 to run it up the road to my house. I told em no thanks.
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #15
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,332
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Consumers charges a "distribution fee" which is for the lines. You have to pay this no matter who you purchase your gas from. Companies like Bishop allow you to buy in bulk or pre-buy and they store it for you. Consumers is not allowed to make any money on the sale of natural gas, so they simply pay spot price and charge you what they pay.



You don't have natural gas at your house? I've had generator customers luck out and consumers would run a line for free down their street.
I see. So you are essentially buying gas futures and banking on natural gas prices rising.

Do you get a discount if they drop?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,389
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

PBR supplies me with plenty of natural gas.
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM   #17
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here's the deal:

Alternate gas suppliers generally offer a fixed price deal for a period of time.

Utilities (per MPSC rules) price gas at cost ("Gas Cost Recovery or GCR) and adjust (up and down) periodically. As Kelly stated, you pay infrastructure costs regardless of supplier.

In a market where gas costs are increasing, an alternate supplier makes sense, since you generally have a fixed cost for a period of time.

In a market (like the current one) where NG costs are decreasing, a utility is better because the GCR will drop with the market, while the alternative supplier has you locked into a fixed rate. As stated, you're betting on increasing NG prices with an alternative supplier (many of whom are actually out-of-state utilities for those who want to "stick it to the evil, monopolistic utility company").

Also consider terms - most alternate suppliers charge sizeable exit fees if you decide to leave before the end of your contract.

With the discovery of the "new Saudi Arabia of NG" in shale deposits in the PA/NY/OH/WV area, I expect NG pricing to remain soft for a while.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #18
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,332
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Here's the deal:

Alternate gas suppliers generally offer a fixed price deal for a period of time.

Utilities (per MPSC rules) price gas at cost ("Gas Cost Recovery or GCR) and adjust (up and down) periodically. As Kelly stated, you pay infrastructure costs regardless of supplier.

In a market where gas costs are increasing, an alternate supplier makes sense, since you generally have a fixed cost for a period of time.

In a market (like the current one) where NG costs are decreasing, a utility is better because the GCR will drop with the market, while the alternative supplier has you locked into a fixed rate. As stated, you're betting on increasing NG prices with an alternative supplier (many of whom are actually out-of-state utilities for those who want to "stick it to the evil, monopolistic utility company").

Also consider terms - most alternate suppliers charge sizeable exit fees if you decide to leave before the end of your contract.

With the discovery of the "new Saudi Arabia of NG" in shale deposits in the PA/NY/OH/WV area, I expect NG pricing to remain soft for a while.
So my wife fukked me good by signing up with IGS.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #19
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,179
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
So my wife fukked me good by signing up with IGS.
Why did you leave financial decisions up to your wife?
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM   #20
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,332
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
Why did you leave financial decisions up to your wife?
I don't.


Unfortunately, she did this while I was out of town and a door to door salesman stopped by.

And yes- it is a substantial penalty to cancel.

And also- it is definitely causing us a problem. But you can't tell a redhead anything.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.21256 seconds with 50 queries