School me on tire coverage laws - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
tom77cj5
Senior Member
 
tom77cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: chesterfield
Posts: 3,997
iTrader: (41)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tom77cj5
Default School me on tire coverage laws

Thinking About getting a plate for this and summer cruising once and a while. What are the rules on tire coverage in mi?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331783763302.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	90384  
tom77cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
94jimmyjr
Senior Member
 
94jimmyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: owosso michigan
Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i would run it
94jimmyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Silver Bullet
Livin the American Dream
 
Silver Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-07
Location: Westland, MI
Posts: 3,792
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

None for nod commercial
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #4
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,819
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Ditto. There are no restrictions in MI. That's why you see street rods running open tires.

HOWEVER, you are still responsible for debris being thrown from your vehicle.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,746
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

My yj looks similar. I've wondered what kind of mess would happen if someone merged into you. It wouldn't be like trading paint. I'm sure the big rolling rubber would want to climb up on the offending car.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I had a Geo Metro with full size axles I drove on the street for years. Never had any issues and a cop friend told me not to worry about it.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #7
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,488
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

I've had 3 vehicles where I would say I had as much tire sticking out as you have, 2 of them DD's back in college. Never had an issue.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #8
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,187
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
My yj looks similar. I've wondered what kind of mess would happen if someone merged into you. It wouldn't be like trading paint. I'm sure the big rolling rubber would want to climb up on the offending car.
I had a lady drift over into my old chevy that the tires stuck out a few inches, and it made her white saturn SUV thing look like it just left M.I.S. on a sunday evening. We were only doing 35 though so it may have different results at higher speeds.
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,746
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanxj5011 View Post
I had a lady drift over into my old chevy that the tires stuck out a few inches, and it made her white saturn SUV thing look like it just left M.I.S. on a sunday evening. We were only doing 35 though so it may have different results at higher speeds.
I might be getting old, but this is a concern of mine commuting on I94 with mine. I picture an accident looking like an out of control RC car.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #10
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,819
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

As long as you don't exceed maximum vehicle width (IIRC 90"), why should it matter if someone drifts into you?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,187
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
I might be getting old, but this is a concern of mine commuting on I94 with mine. I picture an accident looking like an out of control RC car.
I can see that at 70+ mph
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
As long as you don't exceed maximum vehicle width (IIRC 90"), why should it matter if someone drifts into you?
Pretty sure they're talking physics, not legality at this point.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #13
tom77cj5
Senior Member
 
tom77cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: chesterfield
Posts: 3,997
iTrader: (41)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tom77cj5
Default

Isn't there a link floating around for this law I can print out and have with me? I just plan on driving locally and around silver lake. Not planning on hitting freeways or dding
tom77cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #14
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,819
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77cj5 View Post
Isn't there a link floating around for this law I can print out and have with me? I just plan on driving locally and around silver lake. Not planning on hitting freeways or dding
Why do you need to worry about it? You're legal. You start pulling paper out to show a cop he is full of shit and you're likely to piss him off and he will write you for something that you can't fight. Most cops know the laws. If you get that cop that writes you for a ticket that is bogus, keep your mouth shut and fight it later.

just my .02
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #15
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,187
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Why do you need to worry about it? You're legal. You start pulling paper out to show a cop he is full of shit and you're likely to piss him off and he will write you for something that you can't fight. Most cops know the laws. If you get that cop that writes you for a ticket that is bogus, keep your mouth shut and fight it later.

just my .02
x48957028947590234758923705

Dont piss off the MAN
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,746
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

X2 on not whipping out paperwork. I wouldn't worry about it. If I get anything from the cops in our area it's a thumbs up. They would rather mess with kids and their fart can mufflers.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77cj5 View Post
Thinking About getting a plate for this and summer cruising once and a while. What are the rules on tire coverage in mi?
Dude, when this car had 38.5 tires and full size axles under it, I drove it for thousands of miles over several years and NEVER was bothered by the po po. I've had them beside me, in front, and behind me and they never did anything. You are legal so don't worry about anything.

Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

It is more about respect then anything. Street rods run open but you don't see them run in the rain or wintery conditions where the tires will toss up roost of spray and slush. Nothing like sitting behind a open wheeled rig at a light and having them toss slush on your dent free hood to ruin your day. You expect to get stones and mud flung at you when on the trail or at a event. Not so much when your driving your daily on the road just going to work.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #19
boggin-machine
Senior Member
 
boggin-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-06
Location: bay city
Posts: 11,649
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
It is more about respect then anything. Street rods run open but you don't see them run in the rain or wintery conditions where the tires will toss up roost of spray and slush. Nothing like sitting behind a open wheeled rig at a light and having them toss slush on your dent free hood to ruin your day. You expect to get stones and mud flung at you when on the trail or at a event. Not so much when your driving your daily on the road just going to work.
if your getting hit with slush and shit at a stop light then stay the hell off the other drivers ass. your way to damn close if that is happening. stop being a whiney ass.

also you dont see hot rods out cause they keep them show clean dumbass. they dont do it out of respect for the other cars not getting wet.
boggin-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #20
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,635
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Yeah, nothing like throwing rocks into other cars and and screwing up their windshields and nice paint jobs.
__________________
If I didn't think with my penis, I wouldn't think at all

I hope I am not a racist, I mean I drive fast, But I am not specialized at it.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.24623 seconds with 81 queries