Who is right? Gun in school - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,754
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Seems like a dumb move. There is no need to carry in a school.
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #22
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNJEEPN View Post
The way I read it the CPL holder is restricted and those with out their CPL aren't. If you have a CPL you are not allowed to carry openly or concealed in a pistol free zone. I have not been able to find anything regarding non CPL holders openly carrying. How ever if this guy doesn't have a CPL and he drove to the school he would have had to transport the weapon according to the laws required for non CPL holders. Kind of a pain. I am sure that there is a clarification of the law somewhere. I just can't seem to find it. Either way this guy is just a plain idiot.
The instructor at my CPL training class told us that's the reason cops don't get a CPL, too many restrictions on carrying.
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #23
ouchman
Senior Member
 
ouchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-06
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 2,315
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ouchman Send a message via Skype™ to ouchman
Default

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
__________________
support the sport- www.GLFWDA.org - member

Quote:
Dear Travelers,
You won't see London and you won't see France, until we see your underpants!
Sincerely, TSA Officers
ouchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #24
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,558
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

This is the major beef I have with the OC people.


Yes, it's legal.

But it makes you look like a douche, and public opinion will prompt stricter laws regarding carrying.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #25
Christmas Cookie
rack tap re-rack click
 
Christmas Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,530
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

this was funny...now maybe a big movement will be made to take away your guns
Christmas Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #26
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So it would appear from what I have read that most think the guy is a tool?
Correct or not I have a problem with the general attitude of don't do anything that might cause someone to be offended or upset it might come down to stricter laws. I am not going to opine as to whether or not the man is right or wrong as I do not know all of the facts.

What I would like to call up to attention is that the typical anti-gun person is vocal even to the point of being absurd, they quote there own statistics and make no provision for the truth, and yes there seem to be a lot of them they all come together to fight a common cause they see right or wrong.
The problem with those of us that shoot and carry is we sit and do just what I see here, picking apart everything thing someone does in an open forum. The next google search some anti-gun person does this crap will come up and voila more for them to fight with. SEE THEY (being gun owners) EVEN THINK IT'S WRONG. Thus we now have another battle to fight. Instead of working together and trying to educate or help we all sit back and nit pick.

Yes there are those that help and educate but they are far out weighed by those that bitch.
If we where as loud and forceful not to mention organized as the anti's e wouldn't have the problems we do.
Was he legal in carrying in a school to vote, YES
Was it wise, I will not judge as I do not know all of the facts
How many on here said it was "stupid" or "I wouldn't do that"?
Why, because you are afraid to stand up for what you believe in. Someone posted up that "you don't need to carry to vote" Why do you need to carry at all. He had his reason you have yours.
If people sit down at take whatever they are handed and never say anything out of fear for reprisal we would still be governed by Great Britain and the Queen.

So sit back complain and make judgments the same way you would hate to have done to you and watch as we lose more. What we should be doing is exactly what the anti's do, rally for his support, find any medium with which to get our opinions heard in a positive manner and quote laws, facts and statistics that can be supported. (something the anti's cannot do.)
I for one carry everywhere I go for multiple reasons but the biggest one is a right can become a privilege that can be taken away if not exercised.
And yes a CPL to an LEO is a headache that is why most do not have them.
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Christmas Cookie
rack tap re-rack click
 
Christmas Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,530
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3X View Post
So it would appear from what I have read that most think the guy is a tool?
Correct or not I have a problem with the general attitude of don't do anything that might cause someone to be offended or upset it might come down to stricter laws. I am not going to opine as to whether or not the man is right or wrong as I do not know all of the facts.

What I would like to call up to attention is that the typical anti-gun person is vocal even to the point of being absurd, they quote there own statistics and make no provision for the truth, and yes there seem to be a lot of them they all come together to fight a common cause they see right or wrong.
The problem with those of us that shoot and carry is we sit and do just what I see here, picking apart everything thing someone does in an open forum. The next google search some anti-gun person does this crap will come up and voila more for them to fight with. SEE THEY (being gun owners) EVEN THINK IT'S WRONG. Thus we now have another battle to fight. Instead of working together and trying to educate or help we all sit back and nit pick.

Yes there are those that help and educate but they are far out weighed by those that bitch.
If we where as loud and forceful not to mention organized as the anti's e wouldn't have the problems we do.
Was he legal in carrying in a school to vote, YES
Was it wise, I will not judge as I do not know all of the facts
How many on here said it was "stupid" or "I wouldn't do that"?
Why, because you are afraid to stand up for what you believe in. Someone posted up that "you don't need to carry to vote" Why do you need to carry at all. He had his reason you have yours.
If people sit down at take whatever they are handed and never say anything out of fear for reprisal we would still be governed by Great Britain and the Queen.

So sit back complain and make judgments the same way you would hate to have done to you and watch as we lose more. What we should be doing is exactly what the anti's do, rally for his support, find any medium with which to get our opinions heard in a positive manner and quote laws, facts and statistics that can be supported. (something the anti's cannot do.)
I for one carry everywhere I go for multiple reasons but the biggest one is a right can become a privilege that can be taken away if not exercised.
And yes a CPL to an LEO is a headache that is why most do not have them.
not sure what you are trying to say here, but I know many LEO's with CPL's
Christmas Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #28
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,558
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Well stated- so what would you do in this situation?

The media are going to make you look like a whackjob, there's not too much pro 2A sentiment in reporting.

I agree with the open carry movement in principle, but what's a good way to promote it while getting positive media coverage?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #29
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
not sure what you are trying to say here, but I know many LEO's with CPL's
So.
I probably know more without.

BTW your springs are out when do you want get them?
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #30
Mulely
Senior Member
 
Mulely's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-06
Location: St Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,196
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mulely
Default

Don't most fatal, multiple victim shootings seem to occur at schools? Hell, I saw at least 5 guns carried by undesirables when I was in school.
Mulely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #31
subzer008
Senior Member
 
subzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-16-09
Location: Big Rapids/Michigan
Posts: 237
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If he was within the law then why not. You say there is no need to carry in a school? Wasn't there just a shooting at a school in Ohio were the death toll is up to 3? I'd say carrying in a school is a best as any other place.
subzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #32
JEEPR
Playing Possum
 
JEEPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Harrison Township
Posts: 6,744
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

At least all the hoopla over gun carry laws takes our minds off the economy.
JEEPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Jimmysjeep
All about the cubicles...
 
Jimmysjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-08
Location: 2 Paws
Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

What happened to common sense? When did the sense of entitlement become more important than making a good judgment call?

Was it his right to carry? From the looks of it yes. Was it a good decision? No.

Now because one guy who felt self entitled, he's going to make a mess for CPL holders.

Not that I'm promoting something illegal, but why not just leave it in the car while voting?

As a parent of 2 kids in school, I'd be pissed that he carried into my kids school rather they were there or not.

If he didn't want to give up his gun to vote, why not go somewhere and vote that doesn't have gun restrictions.
Jimmysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #34
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Well stated- so what would you do in this situation?

The media are going to make you look like a whackjob, there's not too much pro 2A sentiment in reporting.

I agree with the open carry movement in principle, but what's a good way to promote it while getting positive media coverage?
I am sorry to say I am at a loss on this one. The problem we face is that the laws and courts do not always work well together.

People are being tried for firearms related crimes and sent back out with a fine and probation, and before anyone ask yes I know this to be a fact. Most of the shootings that occur either happen as a result of someone that should never own a gun in the first place or someone under age that should never own one.
They get in trouble have a grudge and get out with the intent to harm because they are aware of the fact that the weapon is illegal and they are harder to track down.

I believe mostly image hurts us. If you sat down in a restaurant and a young man clean shaven and well dressed walked in with a young lady on his arm you probably wouldn't think twice, but the problem we have is the loud obnoxious shabby looking young man with a young lady snapping her gum talking loud enough for the entire restaurant to hear about his or her rights and whatcha gonna do bout it.

I think the other big problem we face is the decidedly twist and outright wrong media. Everything is a Glock or ak-47 never mind that Glock has yet to make a revolver.
Sensationalism wins in ratings not the truth.

I have spent a fair amount of my time trying to cast a positive light on firearms and the people that use them legally for whatever purpose.
If I have a shoot coming up I always ask a non gun person, "hey_____ would you like to come along and see what it's about. " several times I have gotten the reply that but people will get hurt won't they? To which I offer to buy lunch and let them see we are not killers or heathens.
As such several people that were afraid of guns or where raised with the
belief that guns are bad now shoot and own guns of their own.

My sons girlfriend had a fear and concern when we met her of guns now she shoots, loves his .44 mag. and is looking at getting her cpl just from educating and exposure.
Take someone to the range put a target up at 25 yards and with .22 let them enjoy making small clusters I am willing to wager they will want more. The next dinner your gun club has take someone and let them see we are just like them.
But mostly be patient as they have a lifetime of fear to overcome.
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #35
Jimmysjeep
All about the cubicles...
 
Jimmysjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-08
Location: 2 Paws
Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzer008 View Post
If he was within the law then why not.


Because most Americans in general are dumb as rocks.

They can't even operate cars without being idiots. When you go out in public are you impressed how intelligent/great decision makers your fellow countrymen are?


If I can't trust most people to operate a car safely, why would I want them to carry a gun where my kids go to school? There is a reason for gun free zones.
Jimmysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #36
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysjeep View Post
What happened to common sense? When did the sense of entitlement become more important than making a good judgment call?

Was it his right to carry? From the looks of it yes. Was it a good decision? No.

Now because one guy who felt self entitled, he's going to make a mess for CPL holders.

Not that I'm promoting something illegal, but why not just leave it in the car while voting?

As a parent of 2 kids in school, I'd be pissed that he carried into my kids school rather they were there or not.

If he didn't want to give up his gun to vote, why not go somewhere and vote that doesn't have gun restrictions.
I see several issues with your post, first:
There probably was no sense of entitlement just doing what he does.

How many vehicles get broken into and things stolen during school with people all over? So to assume locked behind GLASS is safe would be foolish.

As posted up before this I as well saw quite a few firearms in school that were not legal so the false sense of security from a law that says no one can carry on school grounds is wrong. I would rather have one legally armed parent if the need arises that words on a door or window. The idea that the criminal element will follow the rules is well STUPID.
And I once again refer to the post above referring to school shootings, If legally armed teachers, or parents, or in colleges students where there the death toll would be much less.
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #37
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysjeep View Post
Because most Americans in general are dumb as rocks.

They can't even operate cars without being idiots. When you go out in public are you impressed how intelligent/great decision makers your fellow countrymen are?


If I can't trust most people to operate a car safely, why would I want them to carry a gun where my kids go to school? There is a reason for gun free zones.
I as well as my crowd spend well more time to become proficient and disciplined with our weapons than you do with a vehicle. I will guarantee that one.
If we are to look at the public as an example then lets look at alcohol. How many well educated as well as lesser educated men and women has that destroyed or affected?
Drugs are abused by all classes of people as well and lastly what about something as simple as cigarettes, how many people of all backgrounds and intellect smoke knowing it is not good to do or even suffer from cancer, copd, asthma but continue to do so.

So as a reference people and cars was a bad one.
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #38
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,529
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

What's the point?
Was he scared someone was gonna jack his K car?
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #39
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPR View Post
At least all the hoopla over gun carry laws takes our minds off the economy.
I in the back of my very small mind wonder if that was not an intentional move on behalf on the .
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #40
7.3X
Fullsize support vehicle
 
7.3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Hartland, Mi.
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
What's the point?
Was he scared someone was gonna jack his K car?
Maybe we don't know. But if all you had was a pinto you would protect that as well.
7.3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36332 seconds with 80 queries