Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,760
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default Foley Scandal : GOP blames everybody but themselves.

In Foley scandal, conservatives find plenty of excuses and plenty of people to blame (other than the GOP)

Summary: Seeking to minimize the extent to which the House Republican leadership can be blamed for the scandal surrounding former Rep. Mark Foley, several congressional Republicans, media figures, and conservatives have posited various conspiracy theories and placed blame on just about everyone and everything else -- including liberals, Democrats, the media, "politically correct culture," gays in Congress, and congressional pages.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200610040010
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,388
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

right, it's not like any Democrats ever tried to blame thier scandlals on the media or a vast right-wing conspiracy
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Stone
Ultimate Mall Wheeler
 
Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Bay City, Rochester
Posts: 838
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Stone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn
right, it's not like any Democrats ever tried to blame thier scandlals on the media or a vast right-wing conspiracy
x2

Except this sick bastard talking like that to a young boy is a little differant. There is no excuse for this whatsoever.

That being said no one is responsible for Foley's actions but Foley.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #4
artistic_gore
I own @ halo
 
artistic_gore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-05-06
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 1,128
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to artistic_gore
Default

Foley is responsible for his own actions, I give you that. But others should be held responsible for knowing that this was going on and not doing anything about it. Any normal citizen can be found guilty of a crime for knowing about another persons illegal activities and not doing anything about it. Why should this be any different?
artistic_gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #5
jamiesann
Senior Member
 
jamiesann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods
Posts: 2,888
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic_gore
Foley is responsible for his own actions, I give you that. But others should be held responsible for knowing that this was going on and not doing anything about it. Any normal citizen can be found guilty of a crime for knowing about another persons illegal activities and not doing anything about it. Why should this be any different?
LOL i agree but congress is so insulated, coddeled, told they are great and important, and most importantly so many of the laws they pass they are exempt from. Breeds a culture of invinceability. I can see how a congressman who has been on the hill for 20 years has his head so far up his own ass they think they own the world. I think foley has no one to blame but himself .... but at the same time its not the job of the rest of congress to police this guy. Thats the job of the police. I dont see this on the level of the catholic church where they knew 100 % and were covering up and doing everything they could ... i see this as they suspected and were pretty darn sure but it wasnt there place to out this guy. Not to mention the personal harm you would do to your career foleys career, and the party if you were wrong.

If it was soooooooo obvious why didnt a reporter out him years ago. I am 100% sure SOME reporter was leaked stuff about his similar antics, but it was not a water tight case ..... so nothing was reported. This is a done deal so there was no doubt. The hill is like highschool with whispers, snitching back talking, rumors, innuendo, etc. drunks, revenge, "accidental leaks" of secrect stuff etc, annomous sources. I have no doubt some half dozen or more reporters were approached and didnt go forward cause the evidence was lacking. Now hindsight is 20/20 and if you want to paint a picture of a party cover up, thats what you see if you look for it from that angle.
jamiesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #6
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,760
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

I don't think it's Foley that is blaming anybody else but himself...it's everybody else.

Watch the clip, listen especially to Michael Savage, he's placing the blame on the 15 year old kid, because, maybe he's a Democrat
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #7
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,308
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

I say we fire everbody in congress, sweep the floor clean..................then randomly pick Legal US Citizens off the street and make them do a 6 year term, and there out...............They couldn't do any worse.
(we could call it the Political Draft)
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #8
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
I don't think it's Foley that is blaming anybody else but himself...it's everybody else.

Watch the clip, listen especially to Michael Savage, he's placing the blame on the 15 year old kid, because, maybe he's a Democrat

Well, the one thing that he, or at least, his lawyer, keeps bring up is this story of him beling molested by a clergyman when he was a youth.


That right there, is what is wrong with this country. Top to bottom, everyone wants to take no responsibility.

If you got touched by a priest 40 years ago, ok.
If you are gay, fine.

how does any of that remove your resonsibility as a person/adult/elected lawmaker.


What else is interesting, is his othe excuse: He was intoxicated when he made several of these messages. Unfortunately for him, that would mean, based on the times, that he was also drunk while on the floor of the house.



All in all, gotta love the October Suprise. What is big here, is this is the republican party. Things might be significantly different had foley been a democrat. The reason being is the constituancy. Right now, especially since Bush took office, and somewhat transformed the GOP, the are a 'Family Values' platform, that is very much again homosexuals and pedophiles(not that are pro pedophile). Historical trends have shown that caught up in sex/homo scandals fare far worse than , just due to the conservating vs liberal nature of the demographic.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #9
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,308
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Well, the one thing that he, or at least, his lawyer, keeps bring up is this story of him beling molested by a clergyman when he was a youth.


That right there, is what is wrong with this country. Top to bottom, everyone wants to take no responsibility.

If you got touched by a priest 40 years ago, ok.
If you are gay, fine.

how does any of that remove your resonsibility as a person/adult/elected lawmaker.


What else is interesting, is his othe excuse: He was intoxicated when he made several of these messages. Unfortunately for him, that would mean, based on the times, that he was also drunk while on the floor of the house.



All in all, gotta love the October Suprise. What is big here, is this is the republican party. Things might be significantly different had foley been a democrat. The reason being is the constituancy. Right now, especially since Bush took office, and somewhat transformed the GOP, the are a 'Family Values' platform, that is very much again homosexuals and pedophiles(not that are pro pedophile). Historical trends have shown that caught up in sex/homo scandals fare far worse than , just due to the conservating vs liberal nature of the demographic.

Say what you want, but the Democrats still have Barney Frank!!!!!!
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #10
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE
Say what you want, but the Democrats still have Barney Frank!!!!!!
Thank you for the help proving my point.


Barney Frank, despite the censure/reprimands, and the gay prostitute scandal, still wins his seat by overwhelming majority.

I.E. the liberal voter base is not going to be completely alienated by the fact that he's gay.

however, religious conservatives, as well as internal competition, will not likely approve of participating in, or knowing of and covering up a gay child sex scandal.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #11
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,760
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Thank you for the help proving my point.


Barney Frank, despite the censure/reprimands, and the gay prostitute scandal, still wins his seat by overwhelming majority.

I.E. the liberal voter base is not going to be completely alienated by the fact that he's gay.

however, religious conservatives, as well as internal competition, will not likely approve of participating in, or knowing of and covering up a gay child sex scandal.
haha, that couldn't have worked out any more perfectly.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #12
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Good riddance.

I don't care who he was IM-ing from the floor, it means he wasn't paying attention to the job he was elected to do.

Too bad other politicians don't "do the right thing" and resign when caught doing something stupid (like, say, killing someone while driving drunk and trying to cover it up...).
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #13
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,308
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

So why are family values a bad thing? Please explain.

...............I learn so much from you!!!!

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong on that statement, I actually meant to agree with you.
(mental note: punishing someone for being a pervert is a bad thing! {Section 4; Page 6 of Democratic Playbook})

Last edited by FORD FLARESIDE; October 5th, 2006 at 02:18 PM.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #14
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I have no problem with family values. I'm a family man myself.

However, the use of quotes there to say 'family values' is referring more towards the conservative (generally religious) views of sex is bad, gays are the devil, video games are responsible for murders and heavy metal makes you a satanist.


We have a strong immediate family and a strong extended family. We teach our kids to have respect, to learn, to think for themselves instead of letting a group that I want to belong to dictate my beliefs.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #15
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,353
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've heard releases that there were no Federal laws broken and that it cannot be prosecuted. If that is the case I fail to see how this "sex scandal" is any different than our previous President, with the acception that is leaves a bad taste in more people's mouth. In other words, if there were no laws broken, then what do you think the GOP is covering up?

Though, at the same time I fail to see how this could not be prosecutable when Nightline has shown police arrests when internet predators go to the house of a youth with "intent" while never commiting the act. Sounds like some of this beurocratic immunity is coming our way.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:

Last edited by amc78cj7; October 5th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #16
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,418
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

He is responsible for his own actions. If other people in power knew then they are responsible too. It is not the GOPs responsibility to police every member of the group 24/7. If one of my employees is doing something wrong and I don't see it, but there are rumors flying around, you cant hold me responsible.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #17
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Thats really what the investigation is about, I believe: who knew what, when, and what exactly happened.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,504
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7
If that is the case I fail to see how this "sex scandal" is any different than our previous President, with the acception that is leaves a bad taste in more people's mouth.
I thought Foley only sent emails :tonka:
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.21126 seconds with 46 queries