Ever wonder how much money each chevy volt produced so far has cost taxpayers? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM   #81
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Lets take agriculture for example. do you know just how bad farming fucks up the environment?
So that makes it's okay for everyone else to fukc up the environment too?
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM   #82
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdogeo8 View Post
and who exactly is "they"
other forms of industry. the logging industry fucks up our forests, farming contaminates ground water and the soil, road construction and maintainance does huge amounts of damage, mining is the same way. Oil just gets the bad rap and does less damage. Ironically, without oil those other industries would be kaput.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM   #83
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdogeo8 View Post
So that makes it's okay for everyone else to fukc up the environment too?
I am done trying to explain this to you, you are a retard. fuck your mother.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #84
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Hi.

You know less about the auto industry than I know about God.

Please stop.
You disagree with that article? Interesting and I guess you missed where I stated I don't know anything about the auto industry besides they already gave up on the electric car once because no one wanted it and it apparently didn't yield all the advances it was supposed to and guess what . . we are here again with another car that no one wants thats supposed to save us!!!

Last edited by Chiefwoohaw; December 21st, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM   #85
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am done trying to explain this to you, you are a retard. fuck your mother.
No you just don't know how to explain anything in a coherent manner. Nice to see that you have no problem with anyone fukcing up the environment. Now go drown yourself in a pool of leaked oil.
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM   #86
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdogeo8 View Post
No you just don't know how to explain anything in a coherent manner.
Please refer to post #85 in this thread. Was that coherent enough for you?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM   #87
homerdogeo8
booger eatin' moron
 
homerdogeo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-08
Location: St Johns
Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Please refer to post #85 in this thread. Was that coherent enough for you?
You really are an asshole, go back to freezing your ass off and x-raying welds, something that you might marginally know something about.
homerdogeo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #88
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdogeo8 View Post
You really are an asshole, go back to freezing your ass off and x-raying welds, something that you might marginally know something about.
My xray trailer is heated.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM   #89
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,617
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I don't know anything about the auto industry besides they already gave up on the electric car once because no one wanted it and it apparently didn't yield all the advances it was supposed to and guess what . . we are here again with another car that no one wants thats supposed to save us!!!
So, you had a talk with the auto industry and thats what they told you?

Who says the volt is supposed to save us? Thats marketing. Marketing = lies and pretty pictures and trendy songs designed to make people buy things.


Realitiy, is that at some point, electric drive will become viable for mainstream transportation. The trick is fiinding the point in time that it works.

Technological limitations play a huge role in it, especially since its all about electronics and control.

You are basically arguing right now that because the oldsmobile diesel was bad, that people don't like diesels and we shouldn't have them ever.

Not every test or experiment works, for various reasons. But it doesn't mean you never change or try again.

When its clear that the private industry isn't trying again, because of high risk or lack of immediate return, then the government steps in and provides incentive to keep going. Whether its LiIon battery cars or a zillion other things they provide grants for.


Also lost in this discussion again is that any big US automaker that wants to survive needs to be global. Volt isn't just to be sold here. In fact, the US market is only a small chunk of what the present global demand is.

But that is typical, the US auto market often is lagging in technology and feature content, and even performance.

Duffman might like his Malibu but he'll have to wait for the new one while the launch them first for the Chinese months beforehand.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #90
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Electric drive will work when it becomes cheaper than burning hydrocarbons. people bitch about 3$ per gallon, but thats actually pretty cheap.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #91
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
So, you had a talk with the auto industry and thats what they told you?

Who says the volt is supposed to save us? Thats marketing. Marketing = lies and pretty pictures and trendy songs designed to make people buy things.


Realitiy, is that at some point, electric drive will become viable for mainstream transportation. The trick is fiinding the point in time that it works.

Technological limitations play a huge role in it, especially since its all about electronics and control.

You are basically arguing right now that because the oldsmobile diesel was bad, that people don't like diesels and we shouldn't have them ever.

Not every test or experiment works, for various reasons. But it doesn't mean you never change or try again.

When its clear that the private industry isn't trying again, because of high risk or lack of immediate return, then the government steps in and provides incentive to keep going. Whether its LiIon battery cars or a zillion other things they provide grants for.


Also lost in this discussion again is that any big US automaker that wants to survive needs to be global. Volt isn't just to be sold here. In fact, the US market is only a small chunk of what the present global demand is.

But that is typical, the US auto market often is lagging in technology and feature content, and even performance.

Duffman might like his Malibu but he'll have to wait for the new one while the launch them first for the Chinese months beforehand.
You stated we are running out of oil so yes the Volt is supposed to be the start of saving us.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:53 PM   #92
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,617
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
You stated we are running out of oil so yes the Volt is supposed to be the start of saving us.
No, I didn't. I said its finite. Nice education you got there.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM   #93
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,617
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Electric drive will work when it becomes cheaper than burning hydrocarbons. people bitch about 3$ per gallon, but thats actually pretty cheap.
that, or its a benefit in some other way. Diesel Electric locomotive is a prime example.

Its a hell of a lot more than $3 a gallon where they will sell the Ampere.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM   #94
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
that, or its a benefit in some other way.

Its a hell of a lot more than $3 a gallon where they will sell the Ampere.
even when the oil runs out they will try to keep the IC engine alive. LNG, propane, biodiesel, ethanol, Even methane hydrate are other options. i can see a huge benefit of the Electric car being inner city commuters. For guys like me that drive 120~ miles a day in the middle of BFE electric vehicles.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM   #95
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
No, I didn't. I said its finite. Nice education you got there.
So its not running out? It either is or isn't. If it's finite then it will eventually run out which is the "argument" for the volt. Please don't tell me we are learning more about cars from the volt. We might be learning about batteries and how shitty they are right now but we are not gaining advances in engineering from anything that econ shit box has to offer.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:09 PM   #96
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,481
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
You disagree with that article? Interesting and I guess you missed where I stated I don't know anything about the auto industry besides they already gave up on the electric car once because no one wanted it and it apparently didn't yield all the advances it was supposed to and guess what . . we are here again with another car that no one wants thats supposed to save us!!!
No, you stated that there was more useful technology in the ZR1 than in the Volt.

Perfect proof you need to watch quietly from the sidelines.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #97
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
No, you stated that there was more useful technology in the ZR1 than in the Volt.

Perfect proof you need to watch quietly from the sidelines.
Yeah, performance cars and the limits that they are pushed to is proabably going to give you guys more to work with then the overpiced grocery getter with a crap battery but hey once again I'm not in the industry. Since you've offered nothing to the conversation besides contridicting what I've said leads me to wondering how much you actually have to add with your experience. So far nothing.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM   #98
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,617
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
So its not running out? It either is or isn't. If it's finite then it will eventually run out which is the "argument" for the volt. Please don't tell me we are learning more about cars from the volt. We might be learning about batteries and how shitty they are right now but we are not gaining advances in engineering from anything that econ shit box has to offer.
Example:

Say you have 10,000 Tickle Me Elmo Extremes that you bought and are reselling on craigslist at a couple a day. You have a finite amount, but likely aren't running out, in the common convention of phrase.


The same is true for petroleum. Its a finite amount, and its going to get more expensive as more accessable locations give way to oil that costs more to extract and refine.

So when the one guy is saying is not true that oil is finite, thats not true. But its also not correct to say its 'running out', at this point, either.


Again, beyond that, its not at all just about fuel mileage.There are other benefits to that style of drivetrain, and some people will buy them just to be different, just like many other hybrid buters. Again, this conversation has been had on here before.


I'm guessing that if the volt came with ass-looking black rims, you'd be all over it.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #99
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hate it when Faggar is right...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #100
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,617
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I hate it when Jesus is right...
For Kickstand's benefit, thats me, and not the other Guy. We both have brown hair and beards...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Tags
aj steals shit, chiefwoohaw is a dumbshit, homerdodge, is a dumb faggot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33895 seconds with 80 queries