Anyone interested in a Top Gear style cheap car challenge? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Motorcitydak
Merkin salesman
 
Motorcitydak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-20-06
Location: Casco, Mi
Posts: 1,247
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Motorcitydak
Default Anyone interested in a Top Gear style cheap car challenge?

I know that this is a 4x4 site but that does not mean no one may be interested. Im trying to find a few other guys that mite want to do this. I have one or two others rite now and would like to have 5 or 6 total. The idea is to get a car for $1000 and drive it for a year while taking it to open track days and auto cross stuff. Maybe some other fun events too. We can keep track of things like MPG, break down's, miles driven and whatever else. We will be following SCCA stock specs. If you get a car for under 1000 then you can spend the rest on slightly improving it while not violating the rules. As raced the cars have to be worth no more than $1000. Im picking up my car this saturday, I think if everyone had theirs before Jan 1st then we could start counting the miles driven that day, points off if you do not make it. It would be cool if everyone lived relatively close together, Im in the south end of St Clair county so maybe somewhere around 100 miles or so. Anyone else in???
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2
scare-crow
the eskimo bro
 
scare-crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-08
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scare-crow
Default

I would love to do this, but I'm kinda far out.
scare-crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Motorcitydak
Merkin salesman
 
Motorcitydak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-20-06
Location: Casco, Mi
Posts: 1,247
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Motorcitydak
Default

You can always get your own together if you want. Maybe we can do a track day over at Gingerman and you can come to that
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #4
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I will donate 500 dollars, but only if you have a vynyl decal of a huge cock and balls put on it. I mean a big proud bastard too.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,964
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

How about 2 cocks and balls?
Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #6
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 10,341
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Sounds cool, if I didn't work 60+ hours a week and every weekend I would be game.
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #7
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,275
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I'm pretty sure having a $1000 car sitting in the driveway may be the tipping point in making me the Kodiak of WB.

So no...
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #8
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,644
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
I'm pretty sure having a $1000 car sitting in the driveway may be the tipping point in making me the Kodiak of WB.

So no...
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #9
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,743
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Default

I'm pretty sure I can come up with a lot better ways to spend $5000
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Mr.Green456123
I can levitate!
 
Mr.Green456123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-05
Location: Nort Keralina
Posts: 8,226
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
I know that this is a 4x4 site but that does not mean no one may be interested. Im trying to find a few other guys that mite want to do this. I have one or two others rite now and would like to have 5 or 6 total. The idea is to get a car for $1000 and drive it for a year while taking it to open track days and auto cross stuff. Maybe some other fun events too. We can keep track of things like MPG, break down's, miles driven and whatever else. We will be following SCCA stock specs. If you get a car for under 1000 then you can spend the rest on slightly improving it while not violating the rules. As raced the cars have to be worth no more than $1000. Im picking up my car this saturday, I think if everyone had theirs before Jan 1st then we could start counting the miles driven that day, points off if you do not make it. It would be cool if everyone lived relatively close together, Im in the south end of St Clair county so maybe somewhere around 100 miles or so. Anyone else in???
Im having a hard time understanding what it is that you want to do... Why do you need other people to buy cars? Why drive it for a year? Why are you keeping track of MPG, miles, break downs, etc? Are you looking to go racing for cheap? Not to burst your bubble, but there is not cheap form of racing. Why am I so confuseded?
Mr.Green456123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11
bacongrease
Am i still a Noob?
 
bacongrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: Troy/MI
Posts: 538
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green again View Post
Im having a hard time understanding what it is that you want to do... Why do you need other people to buy cars? Why drive it for a year? Why are you keeping track of MPG, miles, break downs, etc? Are you looking to go racing for cheap? Not to burst your bubble, but there is not cheap form of racing. Why am I so confuseded?
watch top gear...
bacongrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #12
bacongrease
Am i still a Noob?
 
bacongrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: Troy/MI
Posts: 538
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i think it would be more fun to trailer them to the mounds, R&V or twisted trails and everyone runs the same trails... until someone is the last one standing
bacongrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #13
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,339
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

I've done this with a few friends for the past couple of years. But we race POS jeeps around the Badlands and call it TREC C-Class.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #14
Motorcitydak
Merkin salesman
 
Motorcitydak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-20-06
Location: Casco, Mi
Posts: 1,247
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Motorcitydak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacongrease View Post
i think it would be more fun to trailer them to the mounds, R&V or twisted trails and everyone runs the same trails... until someone is the last one standing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
I've done this with a few friends for the past couple of years. But we race POS jeeps around the Badlands and call it TREC C-Class.
It would be similar to this but just with cars and the point being performance and reliability

If any of you are wondering why I would want to do such a thing or what it would be all about, watch season 6 episode 2. I may be getting a decent piece of land soon and 8 acres of it would be our own private race track just like the one in the end of the episode

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/top-gear/BHJzQdveiGS4_KOp
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #15
caveman
willie banger
 
caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-06
Location: Sturgis MI.
Posts: 2,400
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

hmmm, i've got $700 into my sho and around $300 into repairs... but I'm too damn lazy to do the rest.
caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #16
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,022
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Umm, most of my DD's are sub- $1000....... What's your point?


My 89 F150 cost me $400, I spent $200 in repairs over 2 1/2 years of ownership, and just sold it for $400.

Current F 150 cost $750, $75 for a transfer case, and $150 in brake work.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #17
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,121
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

my last jeep cost me $450, sold it without tires and wheels for $500 and the body was toast.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #18
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,022
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skife View Post
my last jeep cost me $450, sold it without tires and wheels for $500 and the body was toast.
My last Jeep cost me a running 68 Sportster, about $5000 on top of that, and sold it in buckets for $900.



That's why it's my 'last Jeep'.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #19
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
My last Jeep cost me a running 68 Sportster, about $5000 on top of that, and sold it in buckets for $900.



That's why it's my 'last Jeep'.
Its not jeeps fault your a fucking idiot.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #20
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,022
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Its not jeeps fault your a fucking idiot.
True. But I am capable of learning, hence 'last Jeep'.



I have never owned a vehicle that broke so easily.

I'll stick with F150's from here out, at least Ford can build a truck right.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.26909 seconds with 80 queries