Jesus Camp... - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #81
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
If I told you right now that I was god
I believe in DaveKerwin
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #82
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
If you are in an agnostic camp, then you know God is out there, but you are not sure WHO he is.
I wouldn't say that. I thik lots of agnostics aren't sure wether there is or isn't a god.

and if your an agnostic dyslexic insomniac you stay up all night trying to figure out if there really is a dog.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #83
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
So God told you he was god and asked you to follow him? Or did you just read it in that book? If you believe everything you read...
Yes, something like that. When you feel the need to get saved and actually get saved by the grace of God it is as if he is actually asking you to follow him right before and once you ask for his forgivness he pretty much says (in my experience) "well done."

Best feeling in the world is the that of the presence of the GOD!!
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #84
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,554
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmujeeper
Best feeling in the world is the that of the presence of the GOD!!
It obvious you've never humped sheep then.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #85
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
Frist, you have to acknowledge that all of them cannot be true and ask what the real deal is. Opposing ideologies cannot both be true at the same time, it is logically impossible.
However, they can ALL be wrong. The world used ot be flat, until people got smart in that area. Maybe some need to get smarter in religion. Science has proven the Bible wrong.

Yeah, I know. Ya'll like to sit around at your Bible studies and brainstorm ways to argue against everything science has proven...but when it comes down to real facts, all you can come up with is faith.

Sorry, but I'm a "gotta see it to belive it" kinda guy. Blind faith usually leads to disappointment.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #86
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
So God told you he was god and asked you to follow him? Or did you just read it in that book? If you believe everything you read...
According to Jesus' homies, he has asked ALL of us to follow him.

Sure, I DID read it in a book. But beyond simple words on a page is the spirit of God. When God calls you, you know it in a very deep and real way. If you want to know if God is out there, then I think you should call out to him! I think that you can find him if you seek him.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #87
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew
However, they can ALL be wrong. The world used ot be flat, until people got smart in that area. Maybe some need to get smarter in religion. Science has proven the Bible wrong.

Yeah, I know. Ya'll like to sit around at your Bible studies and brainstorm ways to argue against everything science has proven...but when it comes down to real facts, all you can come up with is faith.

Sorry, but I'm a "gotta see it to belive it" kinda guy. Blind faith usually leads to disappointment.
Correct, they could all be wrong. That is why I have been saying "assuming God is out there"...

FB, are you atheist or agnostic or what?

When you say that science has disproven the bible, are you suggesting that every event written in the text has not occured? Or perhaps, are you singling out one event/account?

I disagree, there are real facts that support either explanation, but BOTH rely on faith. If you are a see it to believe it type of guy, then I hope you have a time machine to see fish walking. Oh wait... you don't have a time machine? Crap.. I guess you and I have to row the same faith boat together. Thats ok, association with faith types isn't all that bad.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #88
Leanz
Full taste of tender
 
Leanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Oakland County, MI
Posts: 5,312
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

My parents raised me mentioning god very seldom. if i asked they would tell me, but never tried to raise me a specific religion- i think they did the right thing.

One of my good friends growing up was raised strong christian, and i wanted to go to church with her every once in a while out of curiosity, and i even went to church camp for 3 or 4 summers with her. I think it was a good experience and it just made my beleives stronger- and they're not christian beleifs. Church camp DOES completly engulf you in GOD GOD GOD JESUS JESUS JESUS, but if your child was raised with an open mind, its a good experience. I think its important for kids to experience different cultures and religions.

Last edited by Leanz; September 29th, 2006 at 07:52 AM.
Leanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #89
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin

FB, are you atheist or agnostic or what?
I like to consider myself a "Recovering Catholic".

Unlike most other Christain churches, Catholics churches are so full of bullshit, that is gives us former/recovering Catholics alot of reason to question religion.

Unfortunately for these other Christain churches, there's alot less BS, and alot more focus on the Bible. It's alot easier to brainwash people when you take out the bullshit.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #90
Miffy
Senior Member
 
Miffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: My home
Posts: 5,826
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Miffy
Default

I am wise enough to say NO Comment.....

Politics and Religion.....
Miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #91
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,943
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew
I like to consider myself a "Recovering Catholic".

Unlike most other Christain churches, Catholics churches are so full of bullshit, that is gives us former/recovering Catholics alot of reason to question religion.

Unfortunately for these other Christain churches, there's alot less BS, and alot more focus on the Bible. It's alot easier to brainwash people when you take out the bullshit.
Come on. The Catholic Church finally admitted the earth is round just a decade or so ago. :tonka:
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #92
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,727
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

So............I'm a Christian, and after reading all the stuff on this thread, apparently I'm an Idiot too.
Well,............I will just have to say, I'm going to take my chances being a Christian Idiot, because if I'm right, I don't have to fry for eternity, if I'm wrong it wont really matter now, will it?

Just want to say, this thread might have gone a little to far. Some are taking it seriously now. But we can still 4x4 together. God Bless to those who believe on this sight! Those who don't believe, have a good day.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #93
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew
1. I like to consider myself a "Recovering Catholic".

2. Unfortunately for these other Christain churches, there's alot less BS, and alot more focus on the Bible. It's alot easier to brainwash people when you take out the bullshit.
1. Me too!!

2. Was that really necessary? Hey man, I understand you are bitter, I am too. But to assume that it is all brainwashing is a bit overboard. Have you ever admitted to yourself that if God is REALLY out there... that we should actually follow him and learn about him? Agendas at churches are to do that very thing, not to intentionally defraud anyone.

So if you are "recovering", who do you say God is now? Nonexistant or unknown?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #94
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
1. Me too!!

2. Was that really necessary? Hey man, I understand you are bitter, I am too. But to assume that it is all brainwashing is a bit overboard. Have you ever admitted to yourself that if God is REALLY out there... that we should actually follow him and learn about him? Agendas at churches are to do that very thing, not to intentionally defraud anyone.

So if you are "recovering", who do you say God is now? Nonexistant or unknown?
Really, I'm not bitter. I have a brother who has been "born again". I very much respect his choice. It's simply not for me. I have a different personanlity than him. He was always looking for something more out of life. I am happy with what I have.

On the other hand, I have a "born again" coworker. The asshole swears and womanizes more than any "sinners" I know. In one sentence he will be talking about his love for Jesus. Then he spots a hot chick and says "Holy fukc . Look at the tits on that bitch". I then mention that his actions are not very Christian, and he responds with "Don't judge me". Maybe he's just a "born again" bad apple, but he does nothing to change my view of religion.

I get very disgusted when I see losers on TV accused of crimes, and they say "God will work things out".

I get very disgusted when I see these urban church pastors driving brand new Cadillacs and wearing fur coats.

It sickens me when Catholic priests touch little boys penises.

It's these people that move me away from religion.

I have not yet experienced anything in my life that would lead me closer to God. Everything so far has moved me farther away.

I don't mean to offend you when I use the term "brainwashing". I don't think there is anything wrong with having strong faith in Jesus. I'm sure you're a better person for it. But it just doesn't click with me.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #95
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
Was that really necessary? Hey man, I understand you are bitter, I am too. But to assume that it is all brainwashing is a bit overboard.
Sorry, but a catholic mass looks like a bunch of pre-programmed zombies reciting the correct answers in unison in response to key phrases said by the priest.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #96
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Sorry, but a catholic mass looks like a bunch of pre-programmed zombies reciting the correct answers in unison in response to key phrases said by the priest.
Haggar, he said that non-catholic christians are teh real branwashers, which I thought was a cheap shot. I am choosing not to comment on my views of the catholic church.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #97
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE
So............I'm a Christian, and after reading all the stuff on this thread, apparently I'm an Idiot too.
Well,............I will just have to say, I'm going to take my chances being a Christian Idiot, because if I'm right, I don't have to fry for eternity, if I'm wrong it wont really matter now, will it?

Just want to say, this thread might have gone a little to far. Some are taking it seriously now. But we can still 4x4 together. God Bless to those who believe on this sight! Those who don't believe, have a good day.
"if i'm wrong..." uh oh you're questioning your choice, now can you say you're a 100% believer?

also, what's wrong with taking religion seriously?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #98
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,943
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

I take religion seriously. I take it seriously when religious views interfere with my ability and right to live my life. For example. My favorite anti-religious rant. It is bullshit that I can't walk into Meijer or any other store that sells alcohol and buy a 12-pack of Killians at 10am on a Sunday morning so I can go home and watch football, work in the yard, or whatever I want. But no. The religious people don't want to see people with alcohol during "church time" so they pushed the lawmakers to restrict the sale of alcohol on Sundays. When I worked a rotating 12 hour shift, Sunday was just another work day of the week to me. When I got off shift at 7am, I should have had the right to go buy a beer if I wanted, just like the other 6 days of the week. I understand having the overnight restrictions for the most part for public safety, but at 10am Sunday morning it's a different story. Your right to worship should not interfere in my right to live my life without interference from your religious beliefs.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #99
USMC 0369
Livin in Cal-tuckey
 
USMC 0369's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
Posts: 852
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

For some reason it's taken me a while to read this thread. I was raised Jehovah's Witness, and I escaped that so religion is kinda touchy for me.

HOWEVER: This Jesus Camp did make the news here in California. To wit, the news crew did a great job of finding the worst moron to interview. This woman actually said, "...I love this camp. I love seeing these kids so emersed in the holy spirit that they would lay down thier lives for it, like the muslim kids in the middle east..."

All I could think was... "uh... did you really just say that?" I think you could have found a better comparison for how much the kids believe in the faith. Extremists anyone?
USMC 0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #100
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin
Haggar, he said that non-catholic christians are teh real branwashers, which I thought was a cheap shot. I am choosing not to comment on my views of the catholic church.
Well, I'd agree with the fact that there are many many many that are brainwashing. Damn, listen to christian radio, what a load of horse shit and taking advantage of the flock.

No religion has ever promoted free thinking (funny, thinking about CUMJeepers stupid sig line). What, hmm, why would mary be a virgin... um, ok, listen up: everyone paint Joseph as an old man, that way people will think he can't get it up. *whew*, that was a close one...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33232 seconds with 80 queries