To Dually or not to Dually that is the question - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #21
koochman450r
Stranger Danger
 
koochman450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: New Boston MI
Posts: 2,569
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
what engine did you get big block or diesel? what I'm looking at is '98-'00 chevy/gmc with vortec 7.4L, and hopefully 4:10's.
i got an 03 with the duramax, crew cab long bed fully loaded power heated leather 4x4 with 169k for $10,000. I was looking for something a little smaller but i would have spent $15,000 for a similar 2500 or srw3500. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Never had a dually before but so far i like it. I get to test it out going to the loonie run next weekend.
__________________
MY BUILD
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=255953
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
you won this battle.
koochman450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
Then I would suggest you buy what you want. Duallys have a higher weight rating than single wheel one tons and go down the road better if you are really piling the weight on. The rear wheel drive ones just suck ass in the snow. If you can live with that, dually is the right choice.

If you can work it out, get a crew cab. I don't think I will ever own another two door truck again.
it would have to be crew cab to seat 5-6 of us for trips. I do want a 4x4 just need to see what's out there when i'm ready. a lot of the ones i find in the years I want are old work trucks beat on....but once a while you find the one grandpa towed his 5'ver with in nice shape.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #23
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,104
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

I would check into the cost of plating the dually before buying one,I have freinds who gave away their duelies because of the cost to plate them.And I know it's been mentioned,but if it is going to see a snowflake,ever,or wet grass,dont buy a 2wd dually.they dont place enough lbs per inch on the rear tires to get good traction.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #24
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
I would check into the cost of plating the dually before buying one,I have freinds who gave away their duelies because of the cost to plate them.And I know it's been mentioned,but if it is going to see a snowflake,ever,or wet grass,dont buy a 2wd dually.they dont place enough lbs per inch on the rear tires to get good traction.
good advice on the plates, never thought of that.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koochman450r View Post
i got an 03 with the duramax, crew cab long bed fully loaded power heated leather 4x4 with 169k for $10,000. I was looking for something a little smaller but i would have spent $15,000 for a similar 2500 or srw3500. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Never had a dually before but so far i like it. I get to test it out going to the loonie run next weekend.
sounds like a great deal!
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

something like this is what I'd like to get

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...st=222&ref=srl
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #27
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
I think that you would do fine with a SRW as long as you don't have a ton of tounge weight. I haul my 5th wheel toy hauler with my 3/4 ton SRW with no problems (14,000+ lbs).

Like mentioned if you were using a heavy Truck camper then the DRW would be a big benifit.

The DRW is a PITA as you have two more tires to maintain and change.
Rob, would you let me borrow your Dodge to tow my camper home from deer camp to see if a truck is the direction I want to go? You could take Paula's Tahoe for the weekend
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #28
tweak
Are we there yet?
 
tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-20-06
Location: Auburn, Mi
Posts: 1,940
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
Rob, would you let me borrow your Dodge to tow my camper home from deer camp to see if a truck is the direction I want to go? You could take Paula's Tahoe for the weekend
When would you want to borrow it? If I am not using it then you are welcome to give it a try.

Its a 99' Dodge, so the "Quad Cab" is pretty small. Taking more then 2 people is a PITA for the ones sitting in the back. You will get hooked on the diesel... Makes pulling something like that seem effortless.

Send me a email and we can discuss futher.
tweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #29
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Rob, it wouldn't be to middle of Nov. I'll send you an email.....we should get together at the brewery. I haven't been there in probably two months. Thank You.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #30
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,864
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

i got an 02 f250 v10 4x4, it tows great. my old truck camper with my jeep on the back severly overloaded it. the sway with a truck camper was kinda hairy at first. i addressed that issue, and it was fine. i was often over 16k lbs. i never felt the truck could not handle it.

now my wife bought a 36 ft travel trailer, loaded it is about 10k. i took it to south eastern ohio this spring, and it towed for shit! im a truck driver, and figured i could haul just about anything. this was a big mistake. if i was to tow the wifes tt often a dually would be mandatory! we keep it on a yearly site, all summer and store it near by, so its a non issue. i have the big reese dual cam stabilizer hitch, with the sway controller. i have a good trailer brake controller too. my tires are rated 3750 at 80psi e range(thats about as good as it gets). the camper has brand new goodyear marathons on it. this trailer just pushes my superduty around something fierce. in long sweeping turns on the freeway, im actually counter steering the push of the trailer.

my old travel trailer was 7k loaded, and it towed perfect. hardly even felt it back there.
i never used the stabilizer hitch or sway controller with that camper. i did not need it.

get the dually, you can never have too much truck!

Last edited by joe_jeep; September 30th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #31
koochman450r
Stranger Danger
 
koochman450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: New Boston MI
Posts: 2,569
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
i got an 02 f250 v10 4x4, it tows great. my old truck camper with my jeep on the back severly overloaded it. the sway with a truck camper was kinda hairy at first. i addressed that issue, and it was fine. i was often over 16k lbs. i never felt the truck could not handle it.

now my wife bought a 36 ft travel trailer, loaded it is about 10k. i took it to south eastern ohio this spring, and it towed for shit! im a truck driver, and figured i could haul just about anything. this was a big mistake. if i was to tow the wifes tt often a dually would be mandatory! we keep it on a yearly site, all summer and store it near by, so its a non issue. i have the big reese dual cam stabilizer hitch, with the sway controller. i have a good trailer brake controller too. my tires are rated 3750 at 80psi e range(thats about as good as it gets). the camper has brand new goodyear marathons on it. this trailer just pushes my superduty around something fierce. in long sweeping turns on the freeway, im actually counter steering the push of the trailer.

my old travel trailer was 7k loaded, and it towed perfect. hardly even felt it back there.
i never used the stabilizer hitch or sway controller with that camper. i did not need it.

get the dually, you can never have too much truck!
Yeah what he said. My plates with the state park pass are like $150-$160 My 2006 dodge 2500 gas srw was about $120 without the pass. So like $30 more a year to be bad ass, I'll pay for it!
__________________
MY BUILD
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=255953
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
you won this battle.
koochman450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #32
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koochman450r View Post
Yeah what he said. My plates with the state park pass are like $150-$160 My 2006 dodge 2500 gas srw was about $120 without the pass. So like $30 more a year to be bad ass, I'll pay for it!
I think I pay $95 for my '94 suburban without the state park tag.....my '03 Tahoe is $161 with state park tag. Dually is not that much of a deal unless it was a commercial truck then I could see the SOS getting ya.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM   #33
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,193
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It seems to me that used duallys are cheaper than a srw. Maybe I'm crazy.

My 95 chevy dually towed awesome. Towing the same load with my 3/4 ton it would sway and seemed to catch side winds more. The one thing that did get old on the dually were the 4.10 gears. On the highway, the engine just screamed all the time. Besides that, I loved the truck.

With towing as the main purpose, I'd buy another dually.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
America! Fuck yeah!
gofastbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM   #34
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
good advice on the plates, never thought of that.
The plate fees are based on the original value of the truck so you don't pay more just becuase its a dually. My POS 94 F350 dually cost about $120/year to plate it. Since the newer duallys cost as much as a small house, expect to pay more for plates.

Years ago I owned a 1984 Maserati Biturbo. The car wasn't great shape, in fact, I only paid $1000 for it. To put a plate on this nearly antique car, the state wanted $3000/year! After I got done choking and soiling myself, I came up with an idea. I had the plate transfered off my Rabbit the the Biturbo for $8 then a few days later I would get a new plate for the Rabbit for about $35. I did this for several years until I sold the car.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM   #35
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,104
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
The plate fees are based on the original value of the truck so you don't pay more just becuase its a dually. My POS 94 F350 dually cost about $120/year to plate it. Since the newer duallys cost as much as a small house, expect to pay more for plates.

Years ago I owned a 1984 Maserati Biturbo. The car wasn't great shape, in fact, I only paid $1000 for it. To put a plate on this nearly antique car, the state wanted $3000/year! After I got done choking and soiling myself, I came up with an idea. I had the plate transfered off my Rabbit the the Biturbo for $8 then a few days later I would get a new plate for the Rabbit for about $35. I did this for several years until I sold the car.
Im going to ask two different freinds about this.the truck im thinking about was a 95 chev 1ton crew cab dually flatbed, i think they said it was $4-$500 a year to plate it.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:16 AM   #36
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
Im going to ask two different freinds about this.the truck im thinking about was a 95 chev 1ton crew cab dually flatbed, i think they said it was $4-$500 a year to plate it.
Go to the SOS and ask.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #37
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,864
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
Im going to ask two different freinds about this.the truck im thinking about was a 95 chev 1ton crew cab dually flatbed, i think they said it was $4-$500 a year to plate it.
the dually flatbed is most likely a comercial plate. those cost more.
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:23 AM   #38
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Yeah, if it was a commercial plate with a weight tag, that would be a lot more. That sounds in the range of what our 1 ton dually flatbeds used to cost years ago for landscaping (24k lb plates)
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM   #39
1TFROT
Senior Member
 
1TFROT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: chi-town
Posts: 1,549
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

my DD is a 2007 LBZ CCSB. I pull a 32' gn that has a slide-in camper attached to it plus my wheelin rig. total weight (incl d-max) is somewhere around 22K and it tows just fine. power wise it doesn't even break a sweat with that weight, it stops good and there's no sway at all. I will be upgrading to the P3 brake controller very soon since I hate the one I have now.

the weight I pull is right at the upper legal limit of what the state says, but the truck itself doesn't seem to care at all. for me, there's probably only 2 options that a dually would help.... 1) slightly more cushion for the weight rating, but not much and 2) 6 tires instead of 4 in case of flat/blowout

not worth me jumping to a dually at this point with what I have now. my next logical step would be a kodiak

I do have a D plate on the d-max
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM   #40
Tumbleweed
Member
 
Tumbleweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1656 View Post
Dually is the correct answer for any question.
That is the Final Answer!


Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33033 seconds with 80 queries