School me on 305V8, L03 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default School me on 305V8, L03

I recently picked up a new-to-me wagon. I specifically sought out an early 90's B-Body to avoid the LT1's and optispark issues.

I am interested in some ideas on affordable horsepower increases.

I have read that an LT1 crank would help.

I am not looking to do anything stupid. This will still be a family wagon, just a bit more peppy.

Thanks
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,130
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
I recently picked up a new-to-me wagon. I specifically sought out an early 90's B-Body to avoid the LT1's and optispark issues.

I am interested in some ideas on affordable horsepower increases.

I have read that an LT1 crank would help.

I am not looking to do anything stupid. This will still be a family wagon, just a bit more peppy.

Thanks

you avoided the LT1 for a throttlebody 305?

smooth move, you want more power and better mileage, swap in an LT1 or an LS based motor
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skife View Post
you avoided the LT1 for a throttlebody 305?

smooth move, you want more power and better mileage, swap in an LT1 or an LS based motor
Likely response. I considered cutting you off at the bend, but decided against it. I know that a 305 is a cheaper motor to upgrade and maintain.

I found a wealth of info after posting this.

http://forums.hotrod.com/70/7481980/...-me/index.html

I think most of my questions were answered so I thought I would share for anyone that cared.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

buy a good set of cylinder heads, better cam, 454 TBI unit, carb intake manifold with adapter plate, and a computer tune. 300 HP out of a 305 is not that hard to do. i had about 275 FWHP out of my 305 in my camaro before i swapped in the 355. mine was also carbureted but you can get same results with a good computer tune.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak450r View Post
buy a good set of cylinder heads, better cam, 454 TBI unit, carb intake manifold with adapter plate, and a computer tune. 300 HP out of a 305 is not that hard to do. i had about 275 FWHP out of my 305 in my camaro before i swapped in the 355. mine was also carbureted but you can get same results with a good computer tune.
Refering to lighter weight? What would you suggest the donor be?

I was lucky enough to find a junkyard up here with about 8 other wagons in stock for trim parts.

FWIW, this one is in FAR better condition than the Custom Cruiser I brought down to you for the rear main a few years back.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #6
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Was driving through Saganaw last month (not on purpose) and wondered where you at.

I wonder - I've seen mention of 305 H.O. heads before when I was looking to build up a 283 - don't know if those are any different than what you have. Also - I wonder if you could get away with a set of Vortec heads. Seems a stock set (if the valves aren't shrouded by the smaller bore) would be a big upgrade.

P.S. I don't blame you for avoiding optispark.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7
spr_chicken
Senior Member
 
spr_chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-12-08
Location: Grand Haven / Michigan
Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to spr_chicken Send a message via Yahoo to spr_chicken
Default

305 H.O. heads came on 1986 and 1987 camaro 58cc chambers
spr_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #8
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Was driving through Saganaw last month (not on purpose) and wondered where you at.

I wonder - I've seen mention of 305 H.O. heads before when I was looking to build up a 283 - don't know if those are any different than what you have. Also - I wonder if you could get away with a set of Vortec heads. Seems a stock set (if the valves aren't shrouded by the smaller bore) would be a big upgrade.

P.S. I don't blame you for avoiding optispark.
Bailed out of Saginaw back in June. Residing in West Branch now.

I am doing a lot of reading but have tons more to do before I even start to scratch out a plan. I picked this up to replace the 2000 T&C (3.8L) that was nickel and diming me to death.

So I am a proud owner of a 1991 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. I still think these things are a blast to drive and I enjoy the 20+ mpg I get doing 75 down I75.

Edit: Not sure if I should be flattered or scared that you thought of me.

Last edited by deuce228; September 28th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,130
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
Likely response. I considered cutting you off at the bend, but decided against it. I know that a 305 is a cheaper motor to upgrade and maintain.

I found a wealth of info after posting this.

http://forums.hotrod.com/70/7481980/...-me/index.html

I think most of my questions were answered so I thought I would share for anyone that cared.
TBH, a 5.3 swap is pretty cheap to do ~$1200 if you do everything yourself.


after you swap out heads, cam, throttle body, intake, tune ect ect, you'll be coming close to that.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #10
1slo_camaro
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
 
1slo_camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-08-11
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

305s are the red headed step child of chevy. most useless fucking engine ever. me personally i LOVE LT1s ive built a few and my 92 camaro is gonna be getting a boosted 383 LT1 soon. i would get a LT1 and drop it in..... That being said. if you were dumb enough to get a 305, the best things you can do to it is:

throw it in the scrapper and buy a 350...... OR:

throw in a LT1 cam, a nice set of alum 350 heads, high comp pistons, and a full bolt on, even with all that youll be lucky if you ever see close to 300hp at the crank. these motors are just garbage, a L03 is about 160-165hp stock from the factory. right now im chipped, headers, 3in exhaust, throttle body spacer, bumped up fuel PSi, a/c and air delete and some other small goodies, all bolt on and ill be lucky if i ever break 200 at the wheels,


really a 305 is a waste of money man, get rid of it and buy a 350 and build that, so much easier and starting base is a lot better.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
305s are the red headed step child of chevy. most useless fucking engine ever. me personally i LOVE LT1s ive built a few and my 92 camaro is gonna be getting a boosted 383 LT1 soon. i would get a LT1 and drop it in..... That being said. if you were dumb enough to get a 305, the best things you can do to it is:

throw it in the scrapper and buy a 350...... OR:

throw in a LT1 cam, a nice set of alum 350 heads, high comp pistons, and a full bolt on, even with all that youll be lucky if you ever see close to 300hp at the crank. these motors are just garbage, a L03 is about 160-165hp stock from the factory. right now im chipped, headers, 3in exhaust, throttle body spacer, bumped up fuel PSi, a/c and air delete and some other small goodies, all bolt on and ill be lucky if i ever break 200 at the wheels,


really a 305 is a waste of money man, get rid of it and buy a 350 and build that, so much easier and starting base is a lot better.

one problem with what you mention. the OP is a tad bit concerned with fuel mileage. small displacement engines generally will use less fuel. and most of what you say is bullshit, because i have modified a 305 and came out with 275 HP at the crank with mild bolt ons. my 89 camaro was dynoed with 230 rear wheel HP which when figured a 18% driveline loss is right about 275-280 HP at the crank. that was with a set of L98 corvette heads that i got for 400 bucks, stock camshaft, weiand intake with TBI adapter, and a headers and back 3" exhaust system.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #12
1slo_camaro
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
 
1slo_camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-08-11
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak450r View Post
one problem with what you mention. the OP is a tad bit concerned with fuel mileage. small displacement engines generally will use less fuel. and most of what you say is bullshit, because i have modified a 305 and came out with 275 HP at the crank with mild bolt ons. my 89 camaro was dynoed with 230 rear wheel HP which when figured a 18% driveline loss is right about 275-280 HP at the crank. that was with a set of L98 corvette heads that i got for 400 bucks, stock camshaft, weiand intake with TBI adapter, and a headers and back 3" exhaust system.

so please explain why my 383 LT1 got 25+ mpg highway when my 305 gets maybe 20 if im lucky. and thats fine you can call bullshit on what i said, i call bullshit on your numbers your not geting 200+ hp from a intake and heads stock bottom end and cam. im sorry, unless i saw numbers or a pull sheet or anything i dont believe it...



TO THE OP!!!!----- go to Thirdgen.org its a big camaro thirdgen forum page then have a section devoted just for TBi motors which are "Mainly" your 305 motors. you can get A LOT of info over there, thats where ive learnt all the little shit im doing to my 305
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #13
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Scott,
From reading the replies, you're a pussy for not running a methanol-injected Keith Black Hemi.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #14
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,097
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

The 305 is a turd.you can add whatever bolt ons you want,and make a little power,but it's still a turd.I would have bought a lt1 car in a minute,replaced the leaking waterpump,before it wrecked the optispark,and had a way better motor then a tbi 305.
The biggest bang for your buck is to find a 5.7 tbi,put a 383 crank in it, and put some vortec heads on it with a LT4 or similer cam.then add your bolt ons.
I personally beleive a big motor,barely working,is going to get better fuel economy then your 305 working it's ass off to move that barge.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.83973 seconds with 64 queries