Is switching jobs often bad for your resume? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Is switching jobs often bad for your resume?

I am considering a job change, I just had an offer that would give me a very nice pay increase. My question is if you change jobs often do employers view you as a risk?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,400
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

Depends......
When I have hire it only raises a red flag when I see a lot of short terms. Makes me wonder why they are not staying put.
1 short term is acceptable. People make mistakes and react.
A lot makes me think they have issues.
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Scibbyz99WJ
veni vidi vici
 
Scibbyz99WJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-03-10
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Scibbyz99WJ Send a message via MSN to Scibbyz99WJ Send a message via Yahoo to Scibbyz99WJ
Default

it could also depend on how you leave your current job. If you give them your 2 weeks and leave in good spirits I dont think that would be seen as a bad thing.
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,649
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Depends......
When I have hire it only raises a red flag when I see a lot of short terms. Makes me wonder why they are not staying put.
1 short term is acceptable. People make mistakes and react.
A lot makes me think they have issues.
x2

Something that comes up with people we've looked at...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #5
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Depends......
When I have hire it only raises a red flag when I see a lot of short terms. Makes me wonder why they are not staying put.
1 short term is acceptable. People make mistakes and react.
A lot makes me think they have issues.
Thank you for your input. i have been with my current employer since the 20th of jan. My last job was 3 weeks long. they fucked me and i left. the one before that was 4 months of contract work. i worked 2 jobs at the same time last summer for 3 months each and moved. My previous jobs were all held for a year or longer. I have left them all with 2 weeks notice and have used these people as references. I am worried I am setting a trend that employers will view as negative.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Freak
Wheelin the HD
 
Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-07
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 7,227
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Freak Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Default

Even in trucking where turnover is less than a year for a lot of drivers haveing a lot of short term jobs looks bad, in fact i had to deal with all the questions about my short term enployment, and probably wouldnt have gotten my current job if i hadent been laid off from one, and the other hadnt closed its doors shortly after i left. One short term job does not affect you, but 3 or 4 under a 6 months will.
__________________
Motors hate me, axles fear me.

I got your jeep thing, now my damn Chevy wont start, and its missing a wheel.
My build: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=206107
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #7
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Even in trucking where turnover is less than a year for a lot of drivers haveing a lot of short term jobs looks bad, in fact i had to deal with all the questions about my short term enployment, and probably wouldnt have gotten my current job if i hadent been laid off from one, and the other hadnt closed its doors shortly after i left. One short term job does not affect you, but 3 or 4 under a 6 months will.
I would appreciate it if truckers and bus drivers would refrain from replying to this thread. This is a thread for people with real skill.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,788
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Thank you for your input. i have been with my current employer since the 20th of jan. My last job was 3 weeks long. they fucked me and i left. the one before that was 4 months of contract work. i worked 2 jobs at the same time last summer for 3 months each and moved. My previous jobs were all held for a year or longer. I have left them all with 2 weeks notice and have used these people as references. I am worried I am setting a trend that employers will view as negative.


i wouldnt hire you. 5 jobs in a year
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #9
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
i wouldnt hire you. you are not a mexican lawn jockey.
Fixed for accuracy. besides, i would never apply with you, I cannot afford to work for minimum wage.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #10
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,788
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Fixed for accuracy. besides, i would never apply with you, I cannot afford to work for minimum wage.
yes because we pay our employees minimum wage and they all cut grass all day. Fact is you probably are a douche bag and cant hold a job.
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #11
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,788
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

steveo what kind of wheeling rig do you have and whens the last time it was used
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #12
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This message is hidden because hosejockey4506 is on your ignore list.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #13
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,788
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
This message is hidden because hosejockey4506 is on your ignore list.
liar
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #14
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,751
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I would appreciate it if truckers and bus drivers would refrain from replying to this thread. This is a thread for people with real skill.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Fool me once shame on me...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #16
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,355
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

It never bothers me. It all boils down to what they have done and more importantly, what they can do for me. From the time I was 21 till 43 I never held a job for more than 5 years. Most of them were less than 2.

From an employee point of view, chase the dollar. I spent the early part of my career with this philosophy; a company will pay more to replace you than to keep you. So, my theory was that I wanted to be the person doing the replacing.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 25,850
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Default

I've had a dozen jobs in the same field in 20 years. Everyone wants me, but doesn't want to pay. Fuck em. I go to the highest bidder.
In other words I have not had an issue at all in finding a job based on my work history.
Immortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #18
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,649
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
It never bothers me. It all boils down to what they have done and more importantly, what they can do for me. From the time I was 21 till 43 I never held a job for more than 5 years. Most of them were less than 2.

From an employee point of view, chase the dollar. I spent the early part of my career with this philosophy; a company will pay more to replace you than to keep you. So, my theory was that I wanted to be the person doing the replacing.
It depends a lot on the job, too. For example, in my line of work, it tends to take about 1-2 years to get someone up completely up to speed. So you are investing a lot of time, you don't want to have someone take off in 6 months.

LOL, actually its a big issue with have in Mexico. You train engineers and then after 6 months, they go somewhere else for more money. Real drain on resources for us. But there, automotive doesn't pay as well as some of the high tech sectors for engineering, so its a fact of life..
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #19
SizeMatters
Sketchy, Son....
 
SizeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Blanchard, MI
Posts: 2,536
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Ive bounced around from job to job, and most employers in an interview situation will ask why such a short time at jobs. I answer them completely honestly, I am following the dollar to make a means to an end. Sometimes employers like the fact of the different jobs because of all the different experiences and training you may have. Its not a bad thing unless you are a fuckup, everyone of my previous employers tend to have nothing but good things to say.
SizeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #20
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeMatters View Post
Its not a bad thing unless you are a fuckup, everyone of my previous employers tend to have nothing but good things to say.
about your pole handling skills?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.24523 seconds with 80 queries