Small Block Stroker - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
swamprat
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Camo
 
swamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-26-09
Location: Boyne Falls, MI
Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Small Block Stroker

I know the 302 stroked out is a 347 but what is a 351 stroked out? I have a 93 Ranger that I am going to put a small block in maybe next year. What are the advantages and disavantages to the stock 351W vs. a stroked out one? Is this something I should do for this project or should I just run a stock small block?
swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,237
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

well the 351 block is stronger than the 302. 302 is a little smaller but im pretty sure the 351 will fit into the ranger. i know my 351 bronco moves along purdy good. the 302 in my mustang also moves along purdy good. alot of weight in the bronco and it still moves for being stock. and 351s can be stroked and bored to 357 393 408 427 i am sure there are more but thats what i know of.
masterbeatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
swamprat
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Camo
 
swamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-26-09
Location: Boyne Falls, MI
Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I am about dead set on getting a 351... I just donk know yet if I want to stroke it...
swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Hoss Blazer
!SPARTY ON!
 
Hoss Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-25-07
Location: Boyne City Michigan
Posts: 2,591
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
I am about dead set on getting a 351... I just donk know yet if I want to stroke it...
First off if your gonna stroke it your gonna wanna bore it as well. Stroker engines take more block work as well, clearing the longer rod and such. You also have to set a price on how much you wanna spend on the engine first then go from there. Also built right a 351 can make good power w/o a upgrade!

Last edited by Hoss Blazer; June 29th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Hoss Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,569
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

for the best combination of HP and TQ, look into a 393 or 408 stroker kit. Almost all stroker kits are close to the same price, indepentant of cubic inches. For example a forged 396 kit and a forged 427 kit aren't far off in price. Don't get sucked into thinking the more displacement the better. There is a ton of research out there, here is a descent start
http://www.alternativeauto.com/water..._strokers.html

A 408 is planned for my buggy.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 11,330
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
for the best combination of HP and TQ, look into a 393 or 408 stroker kit. Almost all stroker kits are close to the same price, indepentant of cubic inches. For example a forged 396 kit and a forged 427 kit aren't far off in price. Don't get sucked into thinking the more displacement the better. There is a ton of research out there, here is a descent start
http://www.alternativeauto.com/water..._strokers.html

A 408 is planned for my buggy.
X2

I have done both 408 (4" stroke 4.030 bore) and 418's (4.100 stroke), I like the 4" stroke better. I do not like the budget 393 kits as most still use the big 351W (2.3") rod as opposed to the better 2.1" rods in the better kits.

Very little if any block work is needed to fit the 4" deal.

Unless you are planning on over 600 HP or a power adder I would use a good (scat, Eagle) cast crank and some good I-beams, a forged crank is a waste of $$ at that level. Spend the money on good heads and valvetrain, thats where it's needed. 302 parts (heads) on a 408W is gonna make 302 power.

The difference in money is very little if you are comparing it to a stock rebuild that includes turning the crank, adding good bolts to the rods, good pistons and balancing.
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #7
swamprat
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Camo
 
swamprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-26-09
Location: Boyne Falls, MI
Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
Unless you are planning on over 600 HP or a power adder I would use a good (scat, Eagle) cast crank and some good I-beams, a forged crank is a waste of $$ at that level. Spend the money on good heads and valvetrain, thats where it's needed. 302 parts (heads) on a 408W is gonna make 302 power.

The difference in money is very little if you are comparing it to a stock rebuild that includes turning the crank, adding good bolts to the rods, good pistons and balancing.
I would be happy with like 450 hp cause in my ranger that would be more then enough. Thanks guys for the advice.
swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.15231 seconds with 41 queries