Wanted Jeep CJ Dana 44. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Wanted
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1
coteys
Stu
 
coteys's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-10
Location: Parma, MI
Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Wanted Jeep CJ Dana 44.

Anyone have a complete Rear Dana 44 with a centered diff from a Jeep CJ?

I would like it for my CJ5 project.

Thank's.
coteys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
mtheaded
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-22-09
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 1,299
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have one with 4.88 gears and SSBC disc conversion (almost $800 by itself).
mtheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
coteys
Stu
 
coteys's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-10
Location: Parma, MI
Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Dana 44 with SSBC Brakes

How much would you want for it?
Let me know.
Thanks
coteys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #4
orionn
Senior Member
 
orionn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-05
Location: Ypsilanti
Posts: 1,372
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Do you want a Narrow trac or a Wide trac?
orionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
coteys
Stu
 
coteys's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-10
Location: Parma, MI
Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Dana 44

I have NT now, but either will work. I will chang the dana 30 to match, spacers or whole axle). I am more concerned with the gearing and price.
I have 4.10 gears now. So either I need that ratio or will need to do a gear swap.
coteys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #6
orionn
Senior Member
 
orionn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-05
Location: Ypsilanti
Posts: 1,372
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Let me look at what I have. I have a NT Rear D44 from a Jeepster Commando but I dont know what gears are in it, or its condition. It would be direct bolt in for you.
orionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
bigredjeep1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-17-10
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 707
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have a pair of Scout dana 44s for sale in Roscoe, IL 61073

Stock 3.07 gears open carriers

$400 OBO for the pair

Troy 815 222 9409 text
bigredjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #8
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,372
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

QUOTE=mtheaded;2649687]I have one with 4.88 gears and SSBC disc conversion (almost $800 by itself).[/QUOTE]

Assuming this is a wide-track axle, it would be a VERY nice option.


Quote:
Originally Posted by coteys View Post
I have NT now, but either will work. I will chang the dana 30 to match, spacers or whole axle). I am more concerned with the gearing and price.
I have 4.10 gears now. So either I need that ratio or will need to do a gear swap.
4.10 wasn't a stock gear used in the D44s, to the best of my knowledge. You'll commonly see 2.73, 3.54 or 3.73 depending on the year. Wide-track was only used in '86. The price is likely to be exponentially higher for a WT vs. a NT Dana 44.


Quote:
Originally Posted by orionn View Post
Let me look at what I have. I have a NT Rear D44 from a Jeepster Commando but I dont know what gears are in it, or its condition. It would be direct bolt in for you.
This is a very nice option. We used a '72-73 Commando axle with spacers to match a wide-track front in a charity/raffle Scrambler we built for the Scrambler Owners Association. It was a very nice set-up.


Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
dmcjeep
Senior Member
 
dmcjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Grand Haven Mi.
Posts: 9,481
iTrader: (105)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

4.10 wasn't a stock gear used in the D44s, to the best of my knowledge. You'll commonly see 2.73, 3.54 or 3.73 depending on the year. Wide-track was only used in '86. The price is likely to be exponentially higher for a WT vs. a NT Dana 44.

Hey Craig hows it going? I believe that the early dana 44 narrow tracks from the 72-75 CJ's had a few that came with 4:10 gears.
dmcjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10
orionn
Senior Member
 
orionn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-05
Location: Ypsilanti
Posts: 1,372
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcjeep View Post
...I believe that the early dana 44 narrow tracks from the 72-75 CJ's had a few that came with 4:10 gears.
Yes, but they were all offset diffs becouse of the D18 t-case, not centered.

Only the 66-73 Jeepster Commando's got the centered diff NT D44's iirc.
One of the things that makes these axles desireable is they came with several different ratios available from the factory from 3.31:1 down to 5.38:1 if you bought the optional gear package.

My own Jeepster Commando ('71) has 4.27:1 gears from the factory in it, my other has 3.73:1 gears which seems to be the most common ones you will find.

The CJ5 crowd loves getting ahold of the Jeepster Commando axle. and they can cost some serious cash for them.


THe rear axle i have is not complete, it would need to be gone thrue.
I could not get to it, I'll pull it out tommarow and see exactly what it needs.
orionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Bo's Cj 7
Senior Member
 
Bo's Cj 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-10
Location: Rose City
Posts: 646
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

72\\\\\\\\\\' dana 44 from mail/gov jeep - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest
Bo's Cj 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,372
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionn View Post
Only the 66-73 Jeepster Commando's got the centered diff NT D44's iirc.
One of the things that makes these axles desireable is they came with several different ratios available from the factory from 3.31:1 down to 5.38:1 if you bought the optional gear package.
Intermediate CJ-5s ('72-'75) had centered Dana 44s, too. They're just not a bolt-in for a later-model CJ.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,517
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Axle perches are cake, in the grand scheme of things.
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #14
dmcjeep
Senior Member
 
dmcjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Grand Haven Mi.
Posts: 9,481
iTrader: (105)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionn View Post
Yes, but they were all offset diffs becouse of the D18 t-case, not centered.

Only the 66-73 Jeepster Commando's got the centered diff NT D44's iirc.
One of the things that makes these axles desireable is they came with several different ratios available from the factory from 3.31:1 down to 5.38:1 if you bought the optional gear package.

My own Jeepster Commando ('71) has 4.27:1 gears from the factory in it, my other has 3.73:1 gears which seems to be the most common ones you will find.

The CJ5 crowd loves getting ahold of the Jeepster Commando axle. and they can cost some serious cash for them.


THe rear axle i have is not complete, it would need to be gone thrue.
I could not get to it, I'll pull it out tommarow and see exactly what it needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Intermediate CJ-5s ('72-'75) had centered Dana 44s, too. They're just not a bolt-in for a later-model CJ.

Craig
Craig is correct here and I do believe that some of these had 4:10 gears from the factory.
dmcjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Wanted

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.24851 seconds with 63 queries