Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

winch

2K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Rocky 
#1 ·
harbor freight has a 10k rated winch from chicago electric for 399.99 think its worthy? i was thinkin bout getting it but i dunno. i seems to good to be true

#2 ·
it all depends on how much your going to use it. i personaly or have known anyone personaly to use one but i hear some ddescent things. check out ebay . ive found warn winchs with mounting plates for 450 at 8k and mile markers in the 12k range for 600 bucks.

#3 ·
i have a 8000 pound model from harbor freight on my car hauler that i use for loading cars and stuff also haul scrap and mine seams to work fine drug a full size chevy blazer with no axles out of the woods and it seamed to work fine i have used it a bit and i have had no problems depends on how much ya use it i guess

#6 ·
I run one, (8,000lb) as stated they are slow, but they pull good. Definatly better than not having one at all. Has served me well for 2 years. I did burn one up in a competition (wasn't planning on competeing, long story) but I think it was due partly to a loose battery terminal and near stall winching for 10 minutes.
I simply took it back to HF and they exchanged it, didn't even look at my paperwork.

I would buy anotherone for a trail vehicle (20% off coupon and on sale = $260!) but not for something that will see competition or a lot of recovery action.

#13 ·
Just put a bodylift on it and bigger tires, that's all you really need for mud :poke:

on a sidenote, you get what you pay for. I almost bought one of those awhile back and waited until I found deal on a better piece (Warn). I've also heard good things about the Summit rebadges.

#15 ·
If anyone has a burned up 8k sitting around, I would be interested in it. I broke my 8K in half. Balled the cable in one area (wasn't apying attention) and SNAP. I liked it while it was working. I agree with the post, slow, but when your stuck, who cares.

AWK

#18 ·
Spend A Little more and get something decent

Look those winches are disposable winches...when they break you throw them away, not repair them. The gears inside a lot of those Hardor Freight winches are aluminum and they don't take the beating that a well made winch will.

The best winch for the money is Warn, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money I've heard good things about the SuperWinches. They are reported to be slow but durable. And if I'm going to spend around $500.00 or more for something I want it to last.

#20 ·
PavementPounder said:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=20275

Maybe if we keep posting the original thread, people may read it first.
Maybe, but there is a lack of any worthwhile content in that thread so if people want to keep posting in this one let 'em.

Or maybe because I'm a newbie I missed the part of the rules that state there is only one thread allowed ber subject.

How about instead of squawkin you contribute something worthwhile to this thread? (or if you prefer just add it to the original!) :miff:

#21 ·
Bad Zuk said:
How about instead of squawkin you contribute something worthwhile to this thread? (or if you prefer just add it to the original!) :miff:

Well, since you apparently need me to explain it to you - no problem.

Everyone is shitting on the winch, but its the same as the Milemarker when you sit it side-by-side and also when comparing the specs. That and the no-hassle warranty is what's in that other thread that people are missing (Racinja researched it - we discussed it on the phone). It comes with the roller fairlead, the mounting plate, and there are HF stores all over. You can't just walk right in to the local Warn store and walk out with a new cable or winch as easily as you could this. The fact that there is a HF in Flint within a reasonable distance of the Mounds that is also open on Sundays makes this an even better deal for people in the surrounding counties since they can actually pick up new shit on the way home if it fails.

#22 ·
My point is that being the same as a Milemarker doesn't do a thing for me, as far as reliability is concerned. I have seen too many Milemarkers pull the treads out of the casting or split in 1/2 when the cable bunched up to ever recommend one to anyone.

I have been using winches on my Jeeps since '94, and I am out regularly on trails where we use them, a lot. I also now own 5 Warn winches and the only one I ever had an issue with is the one that I broke the motor off when I dropped into a creek that had 4" ice covering it. Meanwhile, I have seen Harbor Freight winches fail the first time a guy used them on the trail, and have seen Milemarkers split in half several times, not to mention the ones that pull the threads out of the casting. (About a $150 fix for a $400 winch- there is a guy on our boards who just broke one a week ago)

#23 ·
There are plenty of other winches besides Warn that are reliable. My Ramsey is like 15 years old now and still going strong.

The HF winch is the same design as the milemarker, but it doesn't use the same quality parts or steel. I have heard great things about the Tmax winches, and the Summit one will save you $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.