Fast EZ-EFI - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > 4x4 Product reviews and how-to's
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #1
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Fast EZ-EFI

Just over a year ago I purchased Fuel Air Spark Technologies new self learning efi setup. I guess I should give a little history on my build before I get into the efi stuff. I have a Jeep jy with a 432 big block chevy in it. Nothing extreme, just a .030 427, 10.2 to 1, medium roller cam, factory heads w/ bigger valves and just enough porting to know i wasn't doing any damage. The motor started out with a 850 holley double pumper on it. The carb had the usual issues climbing hills, and off camber flooding out. Two years of trying to make it work, I finally decided to try some sort of efi setup. Last January I bought the EZ-EFI setup. The installation went well, the jeep fired up and ran rich, like everyone said it would. The jeep drove ok, with some hesitation, and general low rpm issues. Some of the hesitation and low rpm stuff cleared up. The jeep Never seemed to cold start worth a crap, it was ALWAYS very rich until the coolant temp got to 140F. This never got any better, so I emailed the tech department. After two weeks of painful, slow communication, the best they could tell me was that I had exhaust leaks ahead of the 02 sensor. I never did find anything in the way of leaks, I just leaned the idle out as much as I could and lived with the staring issues. Gas millage never seemed to be any better that the 850dp. About 2 months ago, I was driving home, and noticed I was loosing power, anything above about 50% throttle, it just went dead lean and would stall. The problem just kept getting worse, until the jeep would only idle. Pushing the throttle would just result in the rpms going up to about 2500, then dropping quickly, until I let off or it stalled. The throttle body and ecm spent 4 weeks at fast, only to return with a clean bill of health. At the current time, I have tried 2 completely different ignition setups, a new 02 sensor, fuel pressure gauge, and a new fuel pump. The tech guy I have been dealing with is very nice, but isn't exactly bending over backwards to help. Long story short, I wish I would have just put a 5.3 chevy in it for the same price I have into the "EZ" EFI. The holley is back on, and flooding out as it always did. Sorry for the long winded rant, but I am frustrated beyond belief.
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
fabguy01
hammer down grabbin gears
 
fabguy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-20-10
Location: ravenna,Mi
Posts: 293
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCYJ View Post
Just over a year ago I purchased Fuel Air Spark Technologies new self learning efi setup. I guess I should give a little history on my build before I get into the efi stuff. I have a Jeep jy with a 432 big block chevy in it. Nothing extreme, just a .030 427, 10.2 to 1, medium roller cam, factory heads w/ bigger valves and just enough porting to know i wasn't doing any damage. The motor started out with a 850 holley double pumper on it. The carb had the usual issues climbing hills, and off camber flooding out. Two years of trying to make it work, I finally decided to try some sort of efi setup. Last January I bought the EZ-EFI setup. The installation went well, the jeep fired up and ran rich, like everyone said it would. The jeep drove ok, with some hesitation, and general low rpm issues. Some of the hesitation and low rpm stuff cleared up. The jeep Never seemed to cold start worth a crap, it was ALWAYS very rich until the coolant temp got to 140F. This never got any better, so I emailed the tech department. After two weeks of painful, slow communication, the best they could tell me was that I had exhaust leaks ahead of the 02 sensor. I never did find anything in the way of leaks, I just leaned the idle out as much as I could and lived with the staring issues. Gas millage never seemed to be any better that the 850dp. About 2 months ago, I was driving home, and noticed I was loosing power, anything above about 50% throttle, it just went dead lean and would stall. The problem just kept getting worse, until the jeep would only idle. Pushing the throttle would just result in the rpms going up to about 2500, then dropping quickly, until I let off or it stalled. The throttle body and ecm spent 4 weeks at fast, only to return with a clean bill of health. At the current time, I have tried 2 completely different ignition setups, a new 02 sensor, fuel pressure gauge, and a new fuel pump. The tech guy I have been dealing with is very nice, but isn't exactly bending over backwards to help. Long story short, I wish I would have just put a 5.3 chevy in it for the same price I have into the "EZ" EFI. The holley is back on, and flooding out as it always did. Sorry for the long winded rant, but I am frustrated beyond belief.
to help out your holly try taking a piece of hose and looping it between the bowl vents, make it go as high as your air cleaner will allow. once you get it on use a razor blade to make a slit length wise about 1-1.5 inches long, this will help raise the spill over hight of the bowls
fabguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks for the info!
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #4
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,751
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This sucks, glad I went propane instead of the FAST system. Hope you get something figured out. If they can't figure it out are they willing to buy it back so you aren't out close to $2k?
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it while pooping, thank Bill Gates!

"A girls butt hole is like a 9 volt battery. You know its wrong, but eventually you put your tongue on it."
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #5
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The only problem I have with propane is the ammount I would use. I still drive the Jeep to work, 25 miles one way, and to our lease property about 15 miles away. I put 5000+ miles a year on it. Right now I am having trouble getting ahold of the tech guy I have been talking to. Don't know what to do, hate to sell it at a huge loss, and I love the big block more now than ever. (just went to a bigger tire) Seeya later!
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

Glad to finally see some feedback on this system as I was concidering it for my Bronco2 before I decided to run stock crap...glad I did now.
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #7
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Left 3 voice mails with the tech guy, they will not call me back. The system worked ok for almost a year. I am thinking this is a bad connection or something simple. Up until this, I would have recommened this product. But the tech help has been sad at best.
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

I had the same problems about 8 years ago when I bought my first Demon Carb. What a POS. Calling their tech line and listening to them read the manual word for word stopped being funny after the 3rd or 4th call. That was the first and only carb I was NEVER able to get working right in all my 20+ years doing this. The people in their tech department were a joke and I vow to never buy a Demon product again.
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #9
pitbull2332
Senior Member
 
pitbull2332's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-02-09
Location: scotts,mi
Posts: 1,166
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
I had the same problems about 8 years ago when I bought my first Demon Carb. What a POS. Calling their tech line and listening to them read the manual word for word stopped being funny after the 3rd or 4th call. That was the first and only carb I was NEVER able to get working right in all my 20+ years doing this. The people in their tech department were a joke and I vow to never buy a Demon product again.
I hate these things. The demon carbs have always seemed to have a little quirk that you cant tune out. I would go with a standard holley any day.
pitbull2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #10
pitbull2332
Senior Member
 
pitbull2332's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-02-09
Location: scotts,mi
Posts: 1,166
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCYJ View Post
Left 3 voice mails with the tech guy, they will not call me back. The system worked ok for almost a year. I am thinking this is a bad connection or something simple. Up until this, I would have recommened this product. But the tech help has been sad at best.
I wonder if it could be the throttle position sensor? Sounds like the fast ecm in not getting a good signal.
pitbull2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #11
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have ruled out most of the sensors, including the throttle pos sensor by just watcing the display. On the handheld, it displays a scale of 0 to 100, it moves smooothly as you open the throttle. Both temp sensors and map sensor seem to check about what you would expect. I love the holley for driving, just not wheeling! Thanks for the input guys!
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #12
jhnyquest
goof ball
 
jhnyquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-08
Location: West Olive
Posts: 26,380
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

I bought the FAST ez-efi set up a year or so also. I had a few small problems when I first installed the set up on my 454. I never called them directly but went to there forum. The problems where solved quickly. Great tech and people on there was my experience. The first time out with it on the trail everything worked great for about the first 10 minutes then I started haveing similar issues to what you are talking about. It was an electricial issue with the wire that went to my dist. The issue was my own fault and after a couple of hours of trouble shooting we had it figured out, fixed and it has never given me a bit of since. I couldn't be happier with it.
jhnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Plato2k5
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
 
Plato2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-25-05
Location: WMU Kzoo Mi / Livonia, MI
Posts: 5,445
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Plato2k5
Default

hey where at in Kalamzoo are you located? I'm going to school at Western and could possibly come by and help you out. I run a megasquirt computer on my mopar 360 using a GM TB rite now.

Are you able to plug a laptop in and see the fuel tables? Air Fuel ratio? Enrichment settings? Idle steps?
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #14
BBCYJ
http://ridge-off-road.web
 
BBCYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-10
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

PM sent!
BBCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > 4x4 Product reviews and how-to's

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.25626 seconds with 62 queries