2005 Jeep Unlimited (LJ) "Slow Roast" build - Page 9 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #161
RDK_YJ88
Never Lift
 
RDK_YJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-06
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 2,955
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RDK_YJ88
Default

Looks good!
RDK_YJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #162
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,183
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Sitting back on its own weight again (woot!) after finishing the front suspension & axle install. The front is at ride height, while the rear will be 3/4-1" higher once I install the rear OME springs.

Craig

looking great, when is the first wheeling trip planned for?
__________________
Scratchin' ma Scraves
curbdog17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #163
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK_YJ88 View Post
Looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
looking great, when is the first wheeling trip planned for?

Thanks guys. I'd love to have it ready for Jeep blessing, but we'll see.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #164
ssjeepfreek
Senior Member
 
ssjeepfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-24-06
Location: freeland, mi
Posts: 588
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Very nice.
I have to stop looking. Good ideas, bad thoughts
ssjeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #165
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

A quick update...


I'm currently getting all of my parts boxed up & labeled, and the good guys at RockSolid Performance will be picking up my LJ next week to get it wrapped up, hopefully by May 5th for the Blessing of the Jeeps in Mesick.

I did want to update the thread regarding a minor issue with the Currie front axle/H2 wheel combination for people who may find this thread in a search.

It's not stated on their website, but Currie recommends a maximum of 4 1/2" of wheel backspacing with their 1-ton knuckles (I found this out after the fact). When I went to mount my wheels, I found the cast steering arm on the knuckle does not clear the OEM H2 wheels. I was initially frustrated having spec'd out this axle based on using the H2 wheels - and their backspacing - when determining the ideal width for the axle housing. Because of the minimal lift, I didn't intend to run high-steer arms. I called Currie this week to let them know. They didn't seem to care, and said they built exactly what the shop told them to build. Apparently, there was a "communication gap" between them & the shop. I mentioned the idea of at least adding the minimum backspacing requirement to their (horrible to navigate) website so it might help the next guy. They didn't care about that either.

Bygones...RockSolid will get it straightened out for me. BJ @ RockSolid (not the shop where I ordered the axle) eased my concerns, and will set up the steering using a couple of their high-steer arms. Did I mention that he'll also be adding a PSC hydro-assist kit.

More updates on progress from the RockSolid Performance work to come soon...

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #166
beejers
always building
 
beejers's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-07
Location: cedar springs
Posts: 940
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
A quick update...


I'm currently getting all of my parts boxed up & labeled, and the good guys at RockSolid Performance will be picking up my LJ next week to get it wrapped up, hopefully by May 5th for the Blessing of the Jeeps in Mesick.

I did want to update the thread regarding a minor issue with the Currie front axle/H2 wheel combination for people who may find this thread in a search.

It's not stated on their website, but Currie recommends a maximum of 4 1/2" of wheel backspacing with their 1-ton knuckles (I found this out after the fact). When I went to mount my wheels, I found the cast steering arm on the knuckle does not clear the OEM H2 wheels. I was initially frustrated having spec'd out this axle based on using the H2 wheels - and their backspacing - when determining the ideal width for the axle housing. Because of the minimal lift, I didn't intend to run high-steer arms. I called Currie this week to let them know. They didn't seem to care, and said they built exactly what the shop told them to build. Apparently, there was a "communication gap" between them & the shop. I mentioned the idea of at least adding the minimum backspacing requirement to their (horrible to navigate) website so it might help the next guy. They didn't care about that either.

Bygones...RockSolid will get it straightened out for me. BJ @ RockSolid (not the shop where I ordered the axle) eased my concerns, and will set up the steering using a couple of their high-steer arms. Did I mention that he'll also be adding a PSC hydro-assist kit.

More updates on progress from the RockSolid Performance work to come soon...

Craig

This ride WILL be done for the blessing.

As far as the steering we offer our own high steer set up for the balljoint dana60's that are double keyed for strength. it will clear those nice wheels.
beejers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #167
Spudy
Redneck Excavator
 
Spudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-07
Location: Lakeview 48850
Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Spudy Send a message via MSN to Spudy Send a message via Yahoo to Spudy
Default

with the combination of Craig and rock solid this is going to be one hell of a jeep (let just hope it gets used hard enough)
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #168
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejers View Post
This ride WILL be done for the blessing.
Woot!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by beejers View Post
As far as the steering we offer our own high steer set up for the balljoint dana60's that are double keyed for strength. it will clear those nice wheels.
Thanks BJ. I appreciate your "talking me down", and bringing a calming, "Don't worry...we'll get it done" feeling to the table, BJ. You rock!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudy View Post
with the combination of Craig and rock solid this is going to be one hell of a jeep (let just hope it gets used hard enough)
Thanks Jesse. It'll get used just hard enough. It is my baby, though...won't be thrashed unnecessarily. We'll go out in your Jeep to do that. LOL


Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #169
Porscheguy
Senior Member
 
Porscheguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-11
Location: Holland, mi
Posts: 425
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hope Rock Solid puts together another event at the shop. It would be nice to meet the guys, see the shop, and watch your jeep in action ;)
Porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #170
dougstephvoor
Supreme Chancelor!
 
dougstephvoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Saranac/Michigan
Posts: 2,211
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

get this together so you can break it.

I am wondering how you will react, you have been plugging money into the jeep to make an awesome rig,

We will have to post up a picture with a "would you wheel it" thread.

So I need to know, when you get it done, are you going to drive it to get ice cream on Saturday after noon, or

Would you wheel it.
dougstephvoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #171
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstephvoor View Post
get this together so you can break it.

I am wondering how you will react, you have been plugging money into the jeep to make an awesome rig,

We will have to post up a picture with a "would you wheel it" thread.

So I need to know, when you get it done, are you going to drive it to get ice cream on Saturday after noon, or

Would you wheel it.

WTF? Yes, I plan on wheeling it. I've been to Rocks & Valleys (love the place!), and want to check out Twisted Trails after it's done.

That being said, my kids DO like ice cream, so it'll likely make an ice cream run or two, as well.

It still won't see winter driving/salt, though. I have a Honda Hybrid to handle those duties.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #172
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Off to RockSolid Performance to get done (the plan is by the Jeep Blessing). Thanks beejers! I know it's in great hands.

Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #173
John D
Senior Member
 
John D's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-08
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 575
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The tiny spare tire looks funny
John D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #174
beejers
always building
 
beejers's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-07
Location: cedar springs
Posts: 940
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
The tiny spare tire looks funny
he does have a full size spare that matches
beejers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #175
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
The tiny spare tire looks funny
I know, John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejers View Post
he does have a full size spare that matches
True dat.


Progress as of EOD 3/14...rear OME springs now installed, along with the subtle Rokmen 1/2" body lift. Good news...it looks like the rear axle is going to clear the Rokmen gas tank skid WITHOUT relocating the tank rearward. I also found a great (but reasonably-priced) body guy to paint the front clip when it's done.

Craig


1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #176
RDK_YJ88
Never Lift
 
RDK_YJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-06
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 2,955
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RDK_YJ88
Default

Looks good. What were your plans for rear flare/body armor?
RDK_YJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #177
beejers
always building
 
beejers's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-07
Location: cedar springs
Posts: 940
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

he has some flares for it, maybe from aev. they are larger than stock so you can do some body trimming
beejers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #178
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK_YJ88 View Post
Looks good. What were your plans for rear flare/body armor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejers View Post
he has some flares for it, maybe from aev. they are larger than stock so you can do some body trimming
Yes, the front/rear flares (measuring 6" wide) are from AEV, and came with the highline kit. As far as armor, I have aluminum rear trail corners (not full quarter armor). I'm undecided on rocker guards. I already have a set of new-in-box OEM Rubicon rocker guards, but don't know if I'm going to use them, or something stronger. I do like the looks of the stockers, and I already own them. Hmmmm....

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #179
RDK_YJ88
Never Lift
 
RDK_YJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-06
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 2,955
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RDK_YJ88
Default

What about having someone bend up some tube and weld them onto the factory rubicon sliders?
RDK_YJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #180
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK_YJ88 View Post
What about having someone bend up some tube and weld them onto the factory rubicon sliders?
Still unsure. I'll probably mount up the Rubicon ones as-is at this point. I could always change to something else down the road.


Front fenders are now installed, and it's looking sexier by the day! Next on the check-list...rear coil spring relocation.

1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32892 seconds with 81 queries