Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Friends & Political Conversations

Ever get into political discussions with close friends of several years that you thought you knew, and all of a sudden you can't believe the crap they're spewing?

Last night I had one friend who says he is a Democrat saying that welfare is horribly abused and needs to go away, and a Republican friend saying he feels good that his tax dollars go towards good causes. WTF?

Of course I was then called an elitist asshole when I said that every single government assistance programs need to cease.

Are some people just unable to logically explain their thoughts?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Freak
Wheelin the HD
 
Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-07
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 7,221
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via MSN to Freak Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Yes, I had a friend that wanted to vote for oboma once...
__________________
Motors hate me, axles fear me.

I got your jeep thing, now my damn Chevy wont start, and its missing a wheel.
My build: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=206107
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
winters98tj
Senior Member
 
winters98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-07
Location: Madison Heights,MI 48071
Posts: 324
iTrader: (16)
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. And everyone thinks theirs is perfect and all the others are terrible. Get over it. Avoid political conversations all together. It will only frustrate you or were you trying to impress someone that you have all of the solutions? and your viewpoint is correct? Face it, in this day and age, there is no real answer to any single issue. We are merely slaves to the Government and its Corporate agenda.......see? 2 cents and it already probably is raising some hackles.......Sorry.
winters98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:18 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters98tj View Post
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. And everyone thinks theirs is perfect and all the others are terrible. Get over it. Avoid political conversations all together. It will only frustrate you or were you trying to impress someone that you have all of the solutions? and your viewpoint is correct? Face it, in this day and age, there is no real answer to any single issue. We are merely slaves to the Government and its Corporate agenda.......see? 2 cents and it already probably is raising some hackles.......Sorry.
I understand that, I just find it funny when people call themselves something and their viewpoints they provide don't line up with what they're calling themselves.

I agree with you except for the slaves part. We should never become complacent or just accept things. That's how we lose our freedoms.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Steve-in-Petoskey
Looking to ride
 
Steve-in-Petoskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-07
Location: Petoskey area
Posts: 1,687
iTrader: (2)
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve-in-Petoskey
Christmas is always fun with politics and family. I found a "Reagan For President" t-shirt I am wearing Saturday, get the in-laws mad before I even say one word ;-)
Steve-in-Petoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #6
winters98tj
Senior Member
 
winters98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-07
Location: Madison Heights,MI 48071
Posts: 324
iTrader: (16)
People are strange indeed. Thier views are their views. Aligning them with an idealogy or political party may be the reason that our country is in the pickle it's in. We need honest straight forward politicians that care about the country, its citizens, our rights, and keep all of the BS out of it........Sorry. See you even have me spewing politics. Damn you are good. I am now going to sit back and watch this post.
winters98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:34 AM   #7
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters98tj View Post
People are strange indeed. Thier views are their views. Aligning them with an idealogy or political party may be the reason that our country is in the pickle it's in. We need honest straight forward politicians that care about the country, its citizens, our rights, and keep all of the BS out of it........Sorry. See you even have me spewing politics. Damn you are good. I am now going to sit back and watch this post.


Completely agree with you there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM   #8
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I understand that, I just find it funny when people call themselves something and their viewpoints they provide don't line up with what they're calling themselves.

I agree with you except for the slaves part. We should never become complacent or just accept things. That's how we lose our freedoms.
See, I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Who says you can't be a democrat who thinks that welfare is abused or a republican who is ok with how his tax dollars are being spent? As a democrat are you supposed to support any type of social program just because? Or conversely, as a republican, should you just be against anything that tax dollars are being spent on? I think you're projecting what you believe a democrat and a republican should be, onto your friends.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #9
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,974
iTrader: (3)
The media plays a huge role in what people think and who they elect to represent the people. When Bush was in office the left did everything in thier power to demonize Bush for what he did and his desicions. The left were ruthless in thier attack, not just political left but media left jioned in also. 8 years later we have a democratic administration with a radical left wing agenda. There has never been an administration to spend more and create more debt that this one in such a short period of time.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
See, I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Who says you can't be a democrat who thinks that welfare is abused or a republican who is ok with how his tax dollars are being spent? As a democrat are you supposed to support any type of social program just because? Or conversely, as a republican, should you just be against anything that tax dollars are being spent on? I think you're projecting what you believe a democrat and a republican should be, onto your friends.
You weren't there for the whole conversation. Basically the guy who claims he is a Democrat had mostly Republican views, and the Republican had mostly Democratic views.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #11
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,974
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
See, I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Who says you can't be a democrat who thinks that welfare is abused or a republican who is ok with how his tax dollars are being spent? As a democrat are you supposed to support any type of social program just because? Or conversely, as a republican, should you just be against anything that tax dollars are being spent on? I think you're projecting what you believe a democrat and a republican should be, onto your friends.
A Democrat thinks they need to take care of the people, so they want to tax the crap out of anything they can.
A republican will take away the programs that were put into place to allow the leaches to suck off the system and be a drain on society. A republican will create an environment to get jobs moving so the people can take care of themselves.
So it is what can I get for free or I go out and get for myself.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM   #12
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,417
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
See, I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Who says you can't be a democrat who thinks that welfare is abused or a republican who is ok with how his tax dollars are being spent? As a democrat are you supposed to support any type of social program just because? Or conversely, as a republican, should you just be against anything that tax dollars are being spent on? I think you're projecting what you believe a democrat and a republican should be, onto your friends.
Omg I have to say I agree with you. I am a republican but I also don't think we should leave people to die in the streets. I would hope that maybe my friends would be intelligent enough to form their own thoughts and not just support the very conservative party line.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:22 AM   #13
curbdog17
.
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 28,868
iTrader: (23)
My views move around a little but I call my self a republican, as this seems to best demonstrate my overall views.
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #14
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,099
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post

Are some people just unable to logically explain their thoughts?
Yes, and you are one of them, but you claim that when you are arguing with other retards you are too lazy to back up your confusing meaningless dribble with facts because you already "think" you're right.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:47 AM   #15
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Yes, and you are one of them, but you claim that when you are arguing with other retards you are too lazy to back up your confusing meaningless dribble with facts because you already "think" you're right.
I am definitely not one of them.

If I posted a few paragraphs explaining the entire conversation in detail, would you read it? Probably not. If I posted several links or other facts supporting the idea, what does it matter when people will still continue to argue or disagree? Many people will look at cold hard facts and still refuse to believe them.

By the way, Merry Christmas.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.

Last edited by GreaseMonkey; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #16
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,099
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I am definitely not one of them.

If I posted a few paragraphs explaining the entire conversation in detail, would you read it? Probably not. If I posted several links or other facts supporting the idea, what does it matter when people will still continue to argue or disagree? Many people will look at cold hard facts and still refuse to believe them.

By the way, Merry Christmas.
You ARE one of them, in any and all arguments I have had with you you have never posted anything worthwhile to back up your argument.

The recent pot vs beer thread is a perfect example.

Merry Christmas to you as well, how is the new job?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #17
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,872
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
You ARE one of them, in any and all arguments I have had with you you have never posted anything worthwhile to back up your argument.

The recent pot vs beer thread is a perfect example.

Merry Christmas to you as well, how is the new job?
What difference would it make if I did? Why go through the extra effort for people who have already made up their mind to try and sway them? Facts, clinical studies, still won't do much.

What if it was information I learned in college or previous discussions with people who were very knowledgeable in a particular subject. Should I post all sources to my own personal knowledge, thoughts, or opinions? If a doctor was giving you his professional medical diagnosis in his office, would you ask him to cite medical references to prove it?

Main reason is that I'm usually always posting from work and just don't have the time to search for sources, links, or facts to add in. But, to make sure you're happy I won't post unless I have an MLA bibliography attached to any post I make.

Job is slow right now, not much going on. I got to visit a supplier yesterday and check out there operations but for the last week and a half I've mostly been reading a bunch of GM quality process stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.

Last edited by GreaseMonkey; December 23rd, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #18
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
A Democrat thinks they need to take care of the people, so they want to tax the crap out of anything they can.
A republican will take away the programs that were put into place to allow the leaches to suck off the system and be a drain on society. A republican will create an environment to get jobs moving so the people can take care of themselves.
So it is what can I get for free or I go out and get for myself.
You are making the same mistake as greasemonkey with this response.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM   #19
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
The media plays a huge role in what people think and who they elect to represent the people. When Bush was in office the left did everything in thier power to demonize Bush for what he did and his desicions. The left were ruthless in thier attack, not just political left but media left jioned in also. 8 years later we have a democratic administration with a radical left wing agenda. There has never been an administration to spend more and create more debt that this one in such a short period of time.
This is one of your posts that leads me to believe you are are a bot that just randomly posts things.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #20
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,099
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
What difference would it make if I did? Why go through the extra effort for people who have already made up their mind to try and sway them? Facts, clinical studies, still won't do much.

What if it was information I learned in college or previous discussions with people who were very knowledgeable in a particular subject. Should I post all sources to my own personal knowledge, thoughts, or opinions? If a doctor was giving you his professional medical diagnosis in his office, would you ask him to cite medical references to prove it?

Main reason is that I'm usually always posting from work and just don't have the time to search for sources, links, or facts to add in. But, to make sure you're happy I won't post unless I have an MLA bibliography attached to any post I make.

Job is slow right now, not much going on. I got to visit a supplier yesterday and check out there operations but for the last week and a half I've mostly been reading a bunch of GM quality process stuff.
It would add some credibility. Instead you make excuses for not doing it.

I don't expect sources for everthing, but just saying your car is faster than my car doesn't mean it is. But either citing a top end speed, or a 1/4 mile time makes a difference (random example) but maybe that will help you understand my point.

Have fun with all the quality stuff, good times. So is your title quality engineer? If it is, and you so choose to enjoy that field, I strongly recommend getting a bsme or bsee for when you may have to look for another degree, it "can" be the deal breaker from time to time. Quality is a weird field though, some places require the degree, some dont care.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26130 seconds with 50 queries