Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Engine Trouble

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sinnaevd 
#1 ·
I have an 87 chev with a 305, fuel injected. It starts upi and idles like a dream, but when it revs up it kind of sputters and hesitates a little. after a little hwile it will go like its suppose to but it takes some time.

anyone have any ideas? i was htinking distributor??

TIA

#3 ·
more info needed-

does it only act up when the engine is hot?
only when cold?
any notice in mpg?

When you say "after a little hwile it will go like its suppose to" do you mean a second or two, or what?

#4 ·
haven't been driving it enough to know about MPG or when its hot, sorry.

when i say after a fews seconds, i mean about 10 or 15 seconds. but when you let it back down to idle, and then try it again (wihtout shuting off the engine) it does the same thing. engine has about 160,000 mi if that helps at all. Thanks guys (and gals).

#8 ·
1. Disconnect TPS electrical connector.
2. Remove two TPS attaching screws, lockwashers and retainers.
3. If equipped, remove screw attaching TPS actuator lever to end of throttle.
4. Remove TPS.
5. With throttle valve(s) in normal closed idle position, install TPS. Ensure TPS pickup lever is located above tang on throttle actuator lever.
6. Apply suitable thread locking compound to screw threads, then install retainers, lockwashers and screws. Adjust TPS. Refer to "THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS), ADJUST" for procedure.

All-data says that the voltage should read .48 volts. for the 5.0 non california

AWK

#10 ·
sounds like it has really bad hesitation? i would go with the K.I.S.S. method and think fuel filter. then again im probly wrong

#11 ·
No offense but i hope you car because then i would probably end up doing all the fuel lines wiht the fuel filter(they are getting a little on the rough side it seems) lol

the person i bought it off of said that he thought it was the TPS as well, so i will give it a check.

like i said be4, i'm new to this kinda stuff and i have never changed a fuel filter be4, is it as simple as i'm thinking it would be? I was kinda htinking it would be best to change that n e way.
TIA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.