trail master challenge at twisted trails 2011 - Page 24 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #461
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,212
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

the word is there will be a hard line through holy moly for the next one..only issue i see with making hard stuff is your going to be sitting waiting for the guys in front of you to make some spots.i said throw the wall back in and maybe the start section of holy moly.if they run the harder stuff there will be 2 lines for the different classes.say if they run the v notch.you have any idea on the wait time and broken rigs that will cause? most people are lucky to get over that once without issue..4 hours. that would definetly give the crowd something to watch.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #462
supersamikc
Yooper
 
supersamikc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-08-08
Location: Marquette Michigan
Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to supersamikc
Default

my 2 cents is split course in areas and for the class C in the harder sections leave it 2 wide if possible, like on the top of the V notch make it possible to strattle and get around someone yet still having to get over it on the top, will make for some passing in tight quarters which is always a good time.
supersamikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #463
blue_toy
SLOW IS FAST??
 
blue_toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-07
Location: zeeland/mi
Posts: 812
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I believe i have a great suggestion from my cousin. It will allow big class/rock guys to be challanged and rewarded with a some risk while allowing the small guys to take a bypass. Create a short difficult section consisting of large rocks and climbs like holly moley or the rock section on the blue trail...this should only take say 5 minutes if all goes well. At the same starting point of this difficult section create a by pass for those opposed/scared/incapable to do the difficult section. This bypass will take rougly 2-3 munites longer because of its length or lower difficulty level. This guarentees some carnage, winching, etc. but rewards those rigs for the risk of taking the more difficult section.....its like a bonus line...

This would not require a TT staff to watch because the driver has a choice. Dale would just have to make sure the shorter section is difficult
blue_toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #464
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,212
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_toy View Post
I believe i have a great suggestion from my cousin. It will allow big class/rock guys to be challanged and rewarded with a some risk while allowing the small guys to take a bypass. Create a short difficult section consisting of large rocks and climbs like holly moley or the rock section on the blue trail...this should only take say 5 minutes if all goes well. At the same starting point of this difficult section create a by pass for those opposed/scared/incapable to do the difficult section. This bypass will take rougly 2-3 munites longer because of its length or lower difficulty level. This guarentees some carnage, winching, etc. but rewards those rigs for the risk of taking the more difficult section.....its like a bonus line...

This would not require a TT staff to watch because the driver has a choice. Dale would just have to make sure the shorter section is difficult
thats a good idea mike....i like!!
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #465
koochman450r
Stranger Danger
 
koochman450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: New Boston MI
Posts: 2,456
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
thats a good idea mike....i like!!
x2 that is a good idea.
__________________
MY BUILD
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=255953
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
you won this battle.
koochman450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #466
Mud'N'Truck
I'll Finsh One, One Day
 
Mud'N'Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: Interlochen, Michigan
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I also like that idea.

I was thinking somthing similar but would spilt the classes instead of opinions. Like back in blue trail have class b come up were we did last weekend then have class c go farther along the bottom of the hill and come up the side of the hill and cut across the rock section of blue trail, would have to make some trails up the side of the hill though. Could leave the whole rock section open, that would leave a large area for people to chose from that would allow passing if people break in the rocks but yet not that hard to were every one will break. Then just have to course come back together short after. Be easy spot to spilt just need 1 person watching at the bottom of the hill. Then same at the wall in holy moly, class b go threw the small rocks to the right of the table and class c go over the wall. Would also be another easy spot to split yet still get around broke people. Hope all that made sence

My 2 cents for now
Mud'N'Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #467
koochman450r
Stranger Danger
 
koochman450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: New Boston MI
Posts: 2,456
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

[QUOTE=Mud'N'Truck;2654191]I also like that idea.

I was thinking somthing similar but would spilt the classes instead of opinions. Like back in blue trail have class b come up were we did last weekend then have class c go farther along the bottom of the hill and come up the side of the hill and cut across the rock section of blue trail, would have to make some trails up the side of the hill though. Could leave the whole rock section open, that would leave a large area for people to chose from that would allow passing if people break in the rocks but yet not that hard to were every one will break. Then just have to course come back together short after. Be easy spot to spilt just need 1 person watching at the bottom of the hill. Then same at the wall in holy moly, class b go threw the small rocks to the right of the table and class c go over the wall. Would also be another easy spot to split yet still get around broke people. Hope all that made sence[QUOTE]

Sense!!
I get what your saying man. That would be cool to just go sideways over the rock sections not all the way up it and would let like 6 people get by at once.
__________________
MY BUILD
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=255953
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
you won this battle.
koochman450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #468
supersamikc
Yooper
 
supersamikc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-08-08
Location: Marquette Michigan
Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to supersamikc
Default

good call mike.
supersamikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #469
Chevyota
Senior Member
 
Chevyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-10
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 304
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyota View Post
Now I just had someone ask me about the side by side. Could one build a one seater with in the limits of a side by side and enter it? Really you think about it their would be two disadvantages the built rig would not have 4wd and only be a single seater.
Where can one find rules and reg on the side by side I need info on this.
Chevyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #470
InnerAirLock
Scout the Way
 
InnerAirLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-02-09
Location: Traverse City
Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to InnerAirLock
Default

smaller guys have to work harder to get to the top.. put the big tire and wall sectcion in make it the mane spectator spot make it hard
InnerAirLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #471
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,046
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
added the ones i remember.
Jesus, you can't take directions can you!!!
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #472
YooperMog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Location: Skandia, MI
Posts: 133
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here is my take on the whole situation. Part of the problem of not having many spectators is also due to the fact that the park is closed down to everyone else. A lot of the spectators from previous events were probably already there wheeling and took a break to take a look at the action.

In my opinion, to please the most amount of people, including competitors, spectators, random wheelers and the fine folks at Twisted Trails, here's what I would do. Have the course run through everything it did last time except for the bowl area. Keep the bowl open to random wheelers who come for the weekend. There is enough stuff in there to play on for most people I would think. Get rid of the side by side class. Have the B and C class start at 10 and run till 2:00. Open the entire park to the public at 2:30. The competitors would still get to compete, the random wheeler would still get to wheel a little at the first half of the day and then be able to go anywhere the second half of the day. There would be more people there to watch and the Twisted crew would bring in more gate money.

As far as the competition itself, I would start out by going through certain Holy Moly sections, but make it so it wouldn't get bottled up. If someone broke something major, they are very close to the pits and can go get fixed. After the Holy Moly you can do a bunch of high speed twisty stuff through the woods and fields, then make Blue Trail the last spot to go through before coming through the pits again. There are about 5 different lines going up Blue Trail. 2 of them can be for the B class and the other 3 can be for C class. Right now there are 2 difficult lines. I would throw rocks down another line so that there would be 3 difficult lines. Now lets say a bunch of vehicles come up to Blue trail at the same time. More than likely it will be a mixture of B and C rigs. They will all split up and go up the appropriate lines. Spectators can congregate around this area as there will be some excellent rock racing going on (not rock crawling). It shouldn't get all bottled up because of there being several lines to take. Should see some exciting passes. Since this is the last section to go through before pitting, if someone breaks something like an axleshaft or driveshaft, they'll be able to get to the pit right away and get fixed.

Again, just my opinion.
YooperMog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #473
pinktaco
Better than i deserve
 
pinktaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-02-08
Location: South Haven MI
Posts: 442
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperMog View Post
Here is my take on the whole situation. Part of the problem of not having many spectators is also due to the fact that the park is closed down to everyone else. A lot of the spectators from previous events were probably already there wheeling and took a break to take a look at the action.

In my opinion, to please the most amount of people, including competitors, spectators, random wheelers and the fine folks at Twisted Trails, here's what I would do. Have the course run through everything it did last time except for the bowl area. Keep the bowl open to random wheelers who come for the weekend. There is enough stuff in there to play on for most people I would think. Get rid of the side by side class. Have the B and C class start at 10 and run till 2:00. Open the entire park to the public at 2:30. The competitors would still get to compete, the random wheeler would still get to wheel a little at the first half of the day and then be able to go anywhere the second half of the day. There would be more people there to watch and the Twisted crew would bring in more gate money.

As far as the competition itself, I would start out by going through certain Holy Moly sections, but make it so it wouldn't get bottled up. If someone broke something major, they are very close to the pits and can go get fixed. After the Holy Moly you can do a bunch of high speed twisty stuff through the woods and fields, then make Blue Trail the last spot to go through before coming through the pits again. There are about 5 different lines going up Blue Trail. 2 of them can be for the B class and the other 3 can be for C class. Right now there are 2 difficult lines. I would throw rocks down another line so that there would be 3 difficult lines. Now lets say a bunch of vehicles come up to Blue trail at the same time. More than likely it will be a mixture of B and C rigs. They will all split up and go up the appropriate lines. Spectators can congregate around this area as there will be some excellent rock racing going on (not rock crawling). It shouldn't get all bottled up because of there being several lines to take. Should see some exciting passes. Since this is the last section to go through before pitting, if someone breaks something like an axleshaft or driveshaft, they'll be able to get to the pit right away and get fixed.

Again, just my opinion.
Could you be a little more specific?
pinktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #474
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Adding some more difficulty to the course is a good idea, I'm all for a CHALLENGE, but this is a RACE. There has to be some areas where someone can pass slower vehicles. Nothing like racing around the open field only to get behind someone who's taking a Sunday drive through the tight and twisty's making 3 point turns or getting behind somebody in the rocks posing for pictures.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #475
Grassman
RFK
 
Grassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-08
Location: Belmont, Mi
Posts: 18,704
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersamikc View Post
there were no lap times, transponders did not work.
bummed. 25 bux for something that didnt work, will we get a credit for the next race we run then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I wasn't there but have looked at the pics and comments. Why wasn't I there? Life and other things got in the way but I would definitely like to come check it out. Looks like a great spectator sport.

I like the idea of it being a mid-level course. I think it's great that the average rig can come and compete without feeling intimidated. For the bigger class rigs, maybe a different line can be created to make it more difficult while the smaller rigs get the bypass or easier route. From what I can see, the format is pretty good and only needs the tweaking.
my clapped out 4.0 was a bit intimidated by all the HP before the race
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_toy View Post
I believe i have a great suggestion from my cousin. It will allow big class/rock guys to be challanged and rewarded with a some risk while allowing the small guys to take a bypass. Create a short difficult section consisting of large rocks and climbs like holly moley or the rock section on the blue trail...this should only take say 5 minutes if all goes well. At the same starting point of this difficult section create a by pass for those opposed/scared/incapable to do the difficult section. This bypass will take rougly 2-3 munites longer because of its length or lower difficulty level. This guarentees some carnage, winching, etc. but rewards those rigs for the risk of taking the more difficult section.....its like a bonus line...

This would not require a TT staff to watch because the driver has a choice. Dale would just have to make sure the shorter section is difficult
so a shortcut challenge? make up time by capability not speed...i like it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton tj on 40's View Post
every circle needs a pivot man
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #476
Grassman
RFK
 
Grassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-08
Location: Belmont, Mi
Posts: 18,704
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKrawler View Post
Adding some more difficulty to the course is a good idea, I'm all for a CHALLENGE, but this is a RACE. There has to be some areas where someone can pass slower vehicles. Nothing like racing around the open field only to get behind someone who's taking a Sunday drive through the tight and twisty's making 3 point turns or getting behind somebody in the rocks posing for pictures.
i was polite and let people bye as soon as i could
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton tj on 40's View Post
every circle needs a pivot man
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #477
oddfirecj5
'71 jeep cj5
 
oddfirecj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-09
Location: hamilton,mi
Posts: 310
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

hey the grand cherokee is not beat it just has some fine scratches on it. i'm sure a buffing wheel will take care of those. ha.

Last edited by oddfirecj5; May 11th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
oddfirecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #478
mybluetoy
4-wheel 4-life
 
mybluetoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 928
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKrawler View Post
Adding some more difficulty to the course is a good idea, I'm all for a CHALLENGE, but this is a RACE.
Actually it is a challenge, The Tail Master Challenge.

Maybe make the course shorter and wider with lots of challenges here and there? Doesn't really matter, just leave some parts for speed and some that are tight and twisty. Hell I don't care, I just want another crack at whatever you set up.

Last edited by mybluetoy; May 11th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
mybluetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #479
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

So 43 vehicles signed up to race
32 showed up
How many actually finished the race (from each class)?
I saw in a previous post only 13 finished but it didn't say how many from each class.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #480
YooperMog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Location: Skandia, MI
Posts: 133
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I pulled over and let people by also. I couldn't go very fast as my t-case and tranny weren't quite working right. That's what I get for not having any testing time. Rig went from garage straight to comp.

I did however finish the entire race. I was happy with that.
YooperMog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.46121 seconds with 81 queries