. - Page 16 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #301
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I have a Hurst shifter mounted directly between my seats so it's a natural location without having to lean to reach it. I modified my gates so I have a smooth motion between R-N-D. No clicky, lifting a trigger or anything. It's extreamly nice to be able to slam reverse from drive when things get hairy.

This would be the only way I would buy gated, to modify it. And after it was mentioned earlir, I agree, no levers or triggers to lift is better
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #302
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,266
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

jim is real old so you know he has to have something comfortable, since those bones of his don't move real fast.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #303
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
you need to sit in your jeep and measure from the floor up and see how long of a handle you need. i was thinking the adjustable 16" so you could mount it were it felt comfortable. but yes that might be too long of a handle.you need to measure it to be sure..this is a real important part to fit you perfect..


My thoughts exactly
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #304
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,846
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

i think we need to take in account the brain cells erin has cooked over the years before we listen to him
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #305
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,793
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

The Art Carrs had some nice off-road gates for some models that allowed the shift from 1st to R without any gates.

I've not heard of anyone liking the Lokar for that style, there's nothing to let you shift to R to avoid a roll, without accidentally hitting some other gear.


Get one like the pro stick, and grind out the gates like everyone does. BillaVista has a big detailed article on it. I will set mine so that shoving all the way forward is reverse, shoving all the way forward when pulling the trigger is neutral.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #306
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
The Art Carrs had some nice off-road gates for some models that allowed the shift from 1st to R without any gates.

I've not heard of anyone liking the Lokar for that style, there's nothing to let you shift to R to avoid a roll, without accidentally hitting some other gear.


Get one like the pro stick, and grind out the gates like everyone does. BillaVista has a big detailed article on it. I will set mine so that shoving all the way forward is reverse, shoving all the way forward when pulling the trigger is neutral.
http://www.racereadyproducts.com/aut...awler-shifter/

Just found this on pirate...what do you think???

Actually cheaper then Lokar as well because lokar does not include cable or boot with their shifters in most cases. Didn't see mention of one for a 4l80 tho

Last edited by jeepbrattt; February 18th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #307
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,266
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
i think we need to take in account the brain cells erin has cooked over the years before we listen to him

don't you have a baby jeep to work on....

she definetly needs something that is easy to use.as long as the gates are ground out that might be an option.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #308
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,793
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

problem is you have a 4 speed and a standard forward valve body.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #309
benny87
Young Gun..!
 
benny87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-03-06
Location: Waterford
Posts: 2,970
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I have an art-carr with a nodified gate from RN2 sense I do most of driving in 2nd its a quick flip to R.
benny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #310
Bleay
sick of jackstand wheelin
 
Bleay's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: Clawson
Posts: 1,405
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
Cover......part # 12577903
Gasket....part # 125532190

At the dealer. I looked elsewhere, the shipping was more then the part.

need the oil dipstick tube and stick as well

tube.....part # 12570623
stick.... part # 12570788
Do you still need these parts?
Bleay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #311
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleay View Post
Do you still need these parts?
yes, havent ordered them yet
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #312
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
i like the winters shifters
looked into them, couldn't find a single 1 for a 4l80. same for the Hurst.

looks like http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80706/ like Hag gar recommends and cut the gates, or go with Lokar. Not making a decision today, still looking for options.

Last edited by jeepbrattt; February 18th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #313
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,846
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
looked into them, couldn't find a single 1 for a 4l80.
i think you just have to use a 700r4 shifter, but im not sure

i know people who are using them but there running full manual valve bodies but i dont think that makes a difference
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #314
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

oil cooler, distick tube being picked up at dealership Tuesday.
Jimsperformance just called too......harnass is done.


Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...progress
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #315
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,777
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

A shifter for a 700r4 should work on a 4L80. The detents are the same between them. For what it's worth, I'm using a TH400 shifter on a 6L80... I just swapped out the gate plate and made the changes I wanted. I have a B&M pro ratchet or something like that, same as billavista's writeup. The difference between the shifters application is the gate plate and the hardware kit that comes in the box.

I'm pretty sure the lokar shifters do have some sort of detent to them. There is a button on the top of the knob that locks out park or reverse. At least from the few I have played with.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #316
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 5,115
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Becky, have you ever actually used one of the Lokar shifters? I drove a rig with one for about 5 minutes and absolutely HATED it. The only worse method of shifting I could think of would be cutting a hole in the floor and reaching down to move the linkage by hand. I loved the B&M Megashifter ratchet shifter I had in my old Chevelle but I still think the Art Carr/Winters gated style is the best out there for offroad. Since you don’t like that kind I say go for the modded Pro Ratchet like others seem to be happy with.

Now that I think about it I’m pretty sure I’ve still got a new Winters shifter sitting around that I need to sell…..
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #317
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Becky, have you ever actually used one of the Lokar shifters? I drove a rig with one for about 5 minutes and absolutely HATED it. The only worse method of shifting I could think of would be cutting a hole in the floor and reaching down to move the linkage by hand. I loved the B&M Megashifter ratchet shifter I had in my old Chevelle but I still think the Art Carr/Winters gated style is the best out there for offroad. Since you donít like that kind I say go for the modded Pro Ratchet like others seem to be happy with.

Now that I think about it Iím pretty sure Iíve still got a new Winters shifter sitting around that I need to sellÖ..
Well get your ass out in the garage and look! Whats the hold up? That back and forth bullshit is what I hated about the gates on the Art Carr......if the gates can be modified to go straight to reverse, i think i would be just fine.

No, ive never even seen the lokar, was just such limited options for the 4l80 and that was one. I have enough temper issues without adding a shifter to the mix that will piss me off..But Bryce just opened up a new world if I can use one for a 700r4

Last edited by jeepbrattt; February 18th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #318
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,777
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm pretty sure GM follows this standard when designing the detents and throws on the range selection lever on the trans.

P-R= 22 degrees
R-N-D-3-2-1= 11 degrees each.

The P-R is longer because that's what is needed to reliably actuate the parking pawl. The pawl is also designed to engage at 3mph and below, above that speed and the angles, reliefs and spring tensions are such that it will ratchet until it's safe to engage. It's been said that it's safe to put your car into park at 25 mph but I'm not willing to test the design standards on my dime.

That's enough useless BS from me.

Heres your info.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Com...Grip-Pro-Stick That's the one I have, except in a different color. Notice the applications?

"Fits GM TH-400, 350, 250, 200, 700R4, 200-4R (TH-700R4 & 200-4R req. 4 spd gate plate #80712), 4L80E & 4L85E. Ford C4, C6 & AOD (AOD requires #40496 installation kit). Chrysler í66 & later Torqueflite A727 & A904."

Install instructions: http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/18.pdf

4 speed gate plate: http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...orward-Pattern
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #319
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 5,406
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
I'm pretty sure GM follows this standard when designing the detents and throws on the range selection lever on the trans.

P-R= 22 degrees
R-N-D-3-2-1= 11 degrees each.

The P-R is longer because that's what is needed to reliably actuate the parking pawl. The pawl is also designed to engage at 3mph and below, above that speed and the angles, reliefs and spring tensions are such that it will ratchet until it's safe to engage. It's been said that it's safe to put your car into park at 25 mph but I'm not willing to test the design standards on my dime.

That's enough useless BS from me.

Heres your info.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Com...Grip-Pro-Stick That's the one I have, except in a different color. Notice the applications?

"Fits GM TH-400, 350, 250, 200, 700R4, 200-4R (TH-700R4 & 200-4R req. 4 spd gate plate #80712), 4L80E & 4L85E. Ford C4, C6 & AOD (AOD requires #40496 installation kit). Chrysler í66 & later Torqueflite A727 & A904."

Install instructions: http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/18.pdf

4 speed gate plate: http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...orward-Pattern
gate plate not available there at this time, but found it here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...NInRCeVk3iCYXw
jeepbrattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #320
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 5,115
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
Well get your ass out in the garage and look! Whats the hold up? That back and forth bullshit is what I hated about the gates on the Art Carr......if the gates can be modified to go straight to reverse, i think i would be just fine.

No, ive never even seen the lokar, was just such limited options for the 4l80 and that was one. I have enough temper issues without adding a shifter to the mix that will piss me off..But Bryce just opened up a new world if I can use one for a 700r4
I wasn't in a rush cuz you said you hated the gated ones! I'll check it out tonight or tomorrow and shoot you pics....I'm 90% sure I still have it.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32734 seconds with 81 queries