Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1561
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 30,792
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I think I used elec conduit from lowes (not plastic), was easy to bend on my own to get the shapes I wanted.

you need a damn good elec fan set-up to since you won't have air flow through the rad. when driving.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1562
Kyle M.
MetroFab Customs
 
Kyle M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 7,988
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

You think a Taurus fan would be good?
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1563
big86inthestixx
Senior Member
 
big86inthestixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-11
Location: howard city Mi
Posts: 2,000
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I think a taurus fan has the one of the highest cfms out there. Unless you spend high $ for a dual. BUT most duals i have ever seen still only move roughly the same cfm as a Taurus..
I would think if you gave yourself about a 25% safety factor on your radiator..meaning the square inches of surface area on radiator is 35% greater than the cubic inches of your motor. Then put a good fan on it with a good shroud you should be fine. Plus dont forget all the tube running back to radiator will work like a super in efficient radiator.

But all that is just my .02, as usual you can only do what will fit in your application.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
big86inthestixx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:51 AM   #1564
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

are you just moving your radiator or you gonna buy a whole new one in a bigger size?
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:53 AM   #1565
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,397
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

RBV's are gay!
Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM   #1566
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 10,457
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
You think a Taurus fan would be good?
A taurus fan will work great. They draw a bunch of current though, will need some good wiring. Do you have your battery in back as well? If so I would run a relay right off the battery with a maxi-fuse to keep the heavy wiring short. Do you know how big your alternator is? You find a 130A that will fit fairly easily, that is what I run on the mustang.
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM   #1567
s.hembree
Senior Member
 
s.hembree's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-07
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,400
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
A taurus fan will work great. They draw a bunch of current though, will need some good wiring. Do you have your battery in back as well? If so I would run a relay right off the battery with a maxi-fuse to keep the heavy wiring short. Do you know how big your alternator is? You find a 130A that will fit fairly easily, that is what I run on the mustang.
The contour fan is also a good option that is a little smaller than the taurus fan. Being a dual fan setup it's a little easier on amperage draw at start up too. That is what Brandon and I are running.
s.hembree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:11 AM   #1568
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 10,457
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hembree View Post
The contour fan is also a good option that is a little smaller than the taurus fan. Being a dual fan setup it's a little easier on amperage draw at start up too. That is what Brandon and I are running.
Yeah, the dual contour/focus fans are bad ass as well, I actually run an early single contour fan on my car but with E85 it hardly needs a fan anyways.
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM   #1569
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,258
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
You think a Taurus fan would be good?
Hey Kyle, I have two "Intrepid" dual fans hanging on my barn wall. I ran them on the Flaresid with the 5.0. You are welcome to them if you want. I'm going back to a mechanical with the 460.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM   #1570
tonka toy
BrokenYotaTrailerRemoval
 
tonka toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-08
Location: West Olive, MI 49460
Posts: 12,191
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Come get the plumbing off the truggy. John ran it when he put the motor in for my.
__________________
Always missed, Never forgotten
FullSize4Life

1985 Toyota 4runner
2012 F350 6.7 PSD CC shortbox


Quote:
Originally Posted by alboy79 View Post
Remember. It only takes one pregnancy to F up a jeep build.
tonka toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #1571
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 30,792
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I ran the taurus fan on the aluminum radiator I gave you a while back with no issues on my winsdor. But I run that taurus fan controller set-up then and still.

http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM   #1572
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,330
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
I ran the taurus fan on the aluminum radiator I gave you a while back with no issues on my winsdor. But I run that taurus fan controller set-up then and still.

http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
I run that relay setup on my TJ with the taurus fan as well.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1573
Kyle M.
MetroFab Customs
 
Kyle M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 7,988
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big86inthestixx View Post
I think a taurus fan has the one of the highest cfms out there. Unless you spend high $ for a dual. BUT most duals i have ever seen still only move roughly the same cfm as a Taurus..
I would think if you gave yourself about a 25% safety factor on your radiator..meaning the square inches of surface area on radiator is 35% greater than the cubic inches of your motor. Then put a good fan on it with a good shroud you should be fine. Plus dont forget all the tube running back to radiator will work like a super in efficient radiator.

But all that is just my .02, as usual you can only do what will fit in your application.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
That radiator has 410 cubic inches, plus with all the tubing I think ill be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
are you just moving your radiator or you gonna buy a whole new one in a bigger size?
No, I have a big aluminum fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
Hey Kyle, I have two "Intrepid" dual fans hanging on my barn wall. I ran them on the Flaresid with the 5.0. You are welcome to them if you want. I'm going back to a mechanical with the 460.
I'll take them, even if I just use them for my tyranny and steering.coolers, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka toy View Post
Come get the plumbing off the truggy. John ran it when he put the motor in for my.
Ok, will do when I get your motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
I ran the taurus fan on the aluminum radiator I gave you a while back with no issues on my winsdor. But I run that taurus fan controller set-up then and still.

http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
So I gonna have the same set up, ill be good. I just need that.controller. My other one just took a crap anyhow.



Thanks for all the input guys, I look into the dual contour fans aswell.
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1574
Kyle M.
MetroFab Customs
 
Kyle M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 7,988
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
A taurus fan will work great. They draw a bunch of current though, will need some good wiring. Do you have your battery in back as well? If so I would run a relay right off the battery with a maxi-fuse to keep the heavy wiring short. Do you know how big your alternator is? You find a 130A that will fit fairly easily, that is what I run on the mustang.
I have a 130 amp alternator, or a 3g I put on this year. And my battery is going back by the fan/radiator. Right now its in the cab.
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1575
Kyle M.
MetroFab Customs
 
Kyle M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 7,988
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Got a cool new upgrade, BTR aluminum beadlocks. Hope to get them on this weekend.

Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1576
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,326
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
Got a cool new upgrade, BTR aluminum beadlocks. Hope to get them on this weekend.

Those look nice!!!
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1577
big86inthestixx
Senior Member
 
big86inthestixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-11
Location: howard city Mi
Posts: 2,000
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Nice..when'd you pick them up? I think they need a little "Green" But definitely a sweet looking rim.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
big86inthestixx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #1578
Mr. Beefy
Randy did it.
 
Mr. Beefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-07
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Posts: 10,982
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Hrmmm I need new rims
__________________

Dakota Truggy Tons and 43's
07 CTD tow pig With the goodies

Thank you to Jeeperz Creeperz Off Road

Cool stuff at Ironman Offroad
Mr. Beefy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1579
jhnyquest
goof ball
 
jhnyquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-08
Location: West Olive
Posts: 25,203
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

__________________
TRENT FAB
RIGID INDUSTRIES
jhnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #1580
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Wow. All of the cool kids are running them. Or did you steal Greg's when he was not looking?
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22278 seconds with 51 queries