Starting another one... Currently Functional. - Page 19 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #361
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Great.
On the way home from work I bought a Ram master cylinder, ripped my junk apart and didn't have a bolt to use to extend the pushrod, so the brakes are apart.

I swapped the stock power steering pump for the new PSC stuff, mounted the res, etc but I am missing a chunk of hose so the P/S system is all apart.

I swapped the welded spiders back into the 14b, but ran out of rtv just after installing the axle shafts and will need some more for the diff cover to button it up.

So, as noted above, I could have used my Jeep today. Instead I took it apart again. Stupid Jeep.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #362
1 ton tj on 40's
Senior Member
 
1 ton tj on 40's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-12
Location: not sure
Posts: 4,365
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

but you love her
1 ton tj on 40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #363
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,932
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
Great.
On the way home from work I bought a Ram master cylinder, ripped my junk apart and didn't have a bolt to use to extend the pushrod, so the brakes are apart.

I swapped the stock power steering pump for the new PSC stuff, mounted the res, etc but I am missing a chunk of hose so the P/S system is all apart.

I swapped the welded spiders back into the 14b, but ran out of rtv just after installing the axle shafts and will need some more for the diff cover to button it up.

So, as noted above, I could have used my Jeep today. Instead I took it apart again. Stupid Jeep.
This is why I just save myself the trouble and never finish putting my rigs together in the first place
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #364
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Serious fuel delivery issues. I've burned up two Holley blue pumps now, and I'm not sure why. The pump is mounted to my frame rail, under the driver seat.... the tank is an RCI mounted behind the rear seat. Tank outlet is on the top of the tank. Pump is wired to and fired my the GM TBI computer (FP relay). Return line is the same -6 that the feed is. I've melted the brush assemblies in both of these pumps (which were both previously used without issue) .

Should I:
1) Install another one and cross my fingers

2) Install a sump in the bottom of my tank, thinking the siphon tube to the top is overworking my pump

3) Cut the tank open and mount a GM TBI in-tank pump in there (hose clamped to the siphon tube?)

4) Install a different external pump

5) Part this bitch out

Last edited by Strangler; November 26th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #365
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,365
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Default

5=buy bdmt
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #366
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I drive buy on trash nights, waiting to see it at the road.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #367
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,391
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
I drive buy on trash nights, waiting to see it at the road.
I keep doing the same
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #368
tom77cj5
Senior Member
 
tom77cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: chesterfield
Posts: 3,997
iTrader: (41)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tom77cj5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
Serious fuel delivery issues. I've burned up two Holley blue pumps now, and I'm not sure why. The pump is mounted to my frame rail, under the driver seat.... the tank is an RCI mounted behind the rear seat. Tank outlet is on the top of the tank. Pump is wired to and fired my the GM TBI computer (FP relay). Return line is the same -6 that the feed is. I've melted the brush assemblies in both of these pumps (which were both previously used without issue) .

Should I:
1) Install another one and cross my fingers

2) Install a sump in the bottom of my tank, thinking the siphon tube to the top is overworking my pump

3) Cut the tank open and mount a GM TBI in-tank pump in there (hose clamped to the siphon tube?)

4) Install a different external pump

5) Part this bitch out
i had three bungs welded in the bottom of my fuel cell to avoid fuel issues like your having, that's my vote but I'm also using a high pressure pump
tom77cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #369
tweak
Are we there yet?
 
tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-20-06
Location: Auburn, Mi
Posts: 1,934
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
Serious fuel delivery issues. I've burned up two Holley blue pumps now, and I'm not sure why. The pump is mounted to my frame rail, under the driver seat.... the tank is an RCI mounted behind the rear seat. Tank outlet is on the top of the tank. Pump is wired to and fired my the GM TBI computer (FP relay). Return line is the same -6 that the feed is. I've melted the brush assemblies in both of these pumps (which were both previously used without issue) .

Should I:
1) Install another one and cross my fingers

2) Install a sump in the bottom of my tank, thinking the siphon tube to the top is overworking my pump

3) Cut the tank open and mount a GM TBI in-tank pump in there (hose clamped to the siphon tube?)

4) Install a different external pump

5) Part this bitch out
A fuel pump will work better in a "push" scenario then in a "pull". Putting a TBI in-tank pump would cure you of this issue.
tweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #370
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77cj5 View Post
i had three bungs welded in the bottom of my fuel cell to avoid fuel issues like your having, that's my vote but I'm also using a high pressure pump
We have the same cells, wanna trade?
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #371
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
A fuel pump will work better in a "push" scenario then in a "pull". Putting a TBI in-tank pump would cure you of this issue.
Agreed, but without a real hanger I worry about mounting it in there.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #372
chevotass
Senior Member
 
chevotass's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: goodrich
Posts: 6,602
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to chevotass
Default

heres what i did.

drilled 3/8 hole in steel rci filler plate. took intank 6.0 pump and hose clamped it to 3/8 threaded rod. used nut on top and bottom with o-rings and bolted 3/8 rod to filler plate. walla.
chevotass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #373
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I like. But your still having issues, right?
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #374
chevotass
Senior Member
 
chevotass's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: goodrich
Posts: 6,602
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to chevotass
Default

yes, its not the pump. and 60psi is tougher to acheive than 12.

i ran my rci cell with my tbi motor for 5 years with an inline pump e2000. never failed the internal regulator in the tbi took care of the high pressure i was sending it with the e2000.
chevotass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #375
Tacker
Senior Member
 
Tacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-15-06
Location: Fruitport / Muskegon
Posts: 10,447
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Put a sump in the bottom of your cell and get the pump back farther so it doesn't have to pull so far. I would recommend a nice Aeromotive pump too vs a Holley pump.
Tacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #376
1 ton tj on 40's
Senior Member
 
1 ton tj on 40's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-12
Location: not sure
Posts: 4,365
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

it's better to push then pull just like a well on a house.
1 ton tj on 40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #377
Bruster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: Mt Morris
Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacker View Post
Put a sump in the bottom of your cell and get the pump back farther so it doesn't have to pull so far. I would recommend a nice Aeromotive pump too vs a Holley pump.
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #378
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,932
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

It wouldn't help eliminate the pulling instead of pushing, but maybe something like this could help:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor...stems-lii.html

Or maybe not, since burning up the pump sounds like the problem, not starving the engine for fuel
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #379
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
It wouldn't help eliminate the pulling instead of pushing, but maybe something like this could help:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor...stems-lii.html

Or maybe not, since burning up the pump sounds like the problem, not starving the engine for fuel
No, that just looks like 9 million potential air leaks/problems. I see no need for all that hardware.

I think I'll make a sump for the bottom that has a larger line size and run large hose to the pump, which I will move closer to the tank. Looks like I need another Blue pump, or similar.
Strangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #380
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,762
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

I think Nick has it right. I fought fuel pump issues for years. Once I went to an in tank pump my problems went away. I've been carrying a spare pump with me for about 4 years and never needed it. Prior to the in tank, I was replacing a pump at least once a year.

I have a hard time understanding how the multiple pickups work any better than a single in the middle. Once the high side can start sucking air I would think it would become the path of least resistance. Maybe the concept is that it always stays primed???
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.

Last edited by whiterhino; November 27th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29558 seconds with 81 queries