Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Pictures and Video A forum for 4x4 related photos and videos







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #41
All5ofus
Senior Member
 
All5ofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-07
Location: Temperance/Michigan
Posts: 2,770
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdog02 View Post
Paul,

Awesome Ideas!
This was all discussed this morning over coffee with Rob, Chad, & I for next years comp. (yes, we have started planning all ready)
Thanks for the input, and thanks for coming out to compete.
Great job by you and Jon coming from last place to 3rd by showing huge heart, a lot of ballz, and fantastic sportsmanship.

Thanks again.
Thanks a ton Ed! It felt so good to fight so hard and get to the goal we set out for. That doesn't seem to happen enough in life.

I would love to help some next year on the event if you have room for a guy to help.
All5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #42
Swampdog02
Wakley Creek Wacos!
 
Swampdog02's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-09
Location: Horton, MI
Posts: 978
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by All5ofus View Post
Thanks a ton Ed! It felt so good to fight so hard and get to the goal we set out for. That doesn't seem to happen enough in life.

I would love to help some next year on the event if you have room for a guy to help.
You're in dude!
Thanks.
Swampdog02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #43
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
looks like they did a good job maybe a few bugs to work out, so hopefully they will listen to the competetors on the next comp.i had 8 calls asking about it, saying they would go if it was cheaper.$100 would be a good number, you would of had 20 rigs there.drivers meeting at 10 would help also.
I agree. $100 is a good number...makes the math easier on figuring payouts. Drivers meeting at 8 is pretty early considering people are coming from all over the state (hopefully). 9 for the meeting would be good with a 10 start time. 10 might seem better, but if you get 20 rigs, it will run pretty late in to the day/night. I would cut the time limit down too...probably 30 minutes.
Another idea is to separate the buggies in to their own class. I know this year the most capable buggy ended up last on the "mulligan" run and he finished 2nd to the Suzuki, but they still need to be in their own class. Full out/dedicated rock buggies verses full bodied trail rigs...not exactly fair and may deter some from entering.

Suggestion recap:

entry fee - $100
classes - (1)41" and under (2)42" and up (3)Buggy
drivers meeting - 9am / Comp start - 10 am
time limit - 30 minutes

Bright EVENT STAFF t shirts for those running/judging/timing the comp
2 way radios for the event staff

If you get enough rigs (which I'm sure you will next year), you should have a leaderboard type sign where you can post everybody's time after their runs so it's not a mystery, as to who had what time, having to wait until the awards ceremony to find out.

You guys did a great job for your first comp, the course was top notch, can't wait to see a bigger turnout for next year

I posted this in the Trail rides and Events forum too.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......

Last edited by NightKrawler; October 25th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #44
buttercr125
I work out
 
buttercr125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Fenton, mi
Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkrawler View Post
i agree. $100 is a good number...makes the math easier on figuring payouts. Drivers meeting at 8 is pretty early considering people are coming from all over the state (hopefully). 9 for the meeting would be good with a 10 start time. 10 might seem better, but if you get 20 rigs, it will run pretty late in to the day/night. I would cut the time limit down too...probably 30 minutes.
Another idea is to separate the buggies in to their own class. I know this year the most capable buggy ended up last on the "mulligan" run and he finished 2nd to the suzuki, but they still need to be in their own class. Full out/dedicated rock buggies verses full bodied trail rigs...not exactly fair and may deter some from entering.

Suggestion recap:

Entry fee - $100
classes - (1)41" and under (2)42" and up (3)buggy
drivers meeting - 9am / comp start - 10 am
time limit - 30 minutes

bright event staff t shirts for those running/judging/timing the comp
2 way radios for the event staff

If you get enough rigs (which i'm sure you will next year), you should have a leaderboard type sign where you can post everybody's time after their runs so it's not a mystery, as to who had what time, having to wait until the awards ceremony to find out.

You guys did a great job for your first comp, the course was top notch, can't wait to see a bigger turnout for next year


x2
buttercr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #45
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercr125 View Post
x2
that would be a BIG times 2 I like it.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #46
buttercr125
I work out
 
buttercr125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Fenton, mi
Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKrawler View Post
that would be a BIG times 2 I like it.
LOL....Yeah I think the entry fee kinda killed the number of entries. Especially for a first time event. I think a lower entry fee would bring in more entries. I also think that the buggy class is a great idea. Going into an event knowing there may be buggies in your class may deter some people from entering.
buttercr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #47
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercr125 View Post
LOL....Yeah I think the entry fee kinda killed the number of entries. Especially for a first time event. I think a lower entry fee would bring in more entries. I also think that the buggy class is a great idea. Going into an event knowing there may be buggies in your class may deter some people from entering.
Yeah, a little intimidating having to go against this with your TJ, not only did it look good, it sounded great.

__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #48
buttercr125
I work out
 
buttercr125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Fenton, mi
Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (25)
Yeah that thing is sick! I am a little confused as to why they didn't have a winch on that. I see that there is a fair lead on the front but no winch. I wish I could have made it down there to watch.
buttercr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #49
Mud'N'Truck
I'll Finsh One, One Day
 
Mud'N'Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: Interlochen, Michigan
Posts: 2,330
iTrader: (15)
Way the rock crawl tour was, was 40" and down and certain % of the stock frame left. Then it was 41" and up and buggies. Worked out well
Mud'N'Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #50
rangerluc
Senior Member
 
rangerluc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Location: san antonio, TX
Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (7)
that buggy on rockwells...is that a disc brake in the center of the axles? and no brakes on the tires? and is that rear steering? looks like an idiot that had it built, but didnt know how to use it
rangerluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #51
RDK_YJ88
Never Lift
 
RDK_YJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-16-06
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 2,810
iTrader: (40)
Send a message via AIM to RDK_YJ88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerluc View Post
that buggy on rockwells...is that a disc brake in the center of the axles? and no brakes on the tires? and is that rear steering? looks like an idiot that had it built, but didnt know how to use it
Yes, and yes. Pinion brakes are quite common on rockwells.
RDK_YJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #52
rangerluc
Senior Member
 
rangerluc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Location: san antonio, TX
Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK_YJ88 View Post
Yes, and yes. Pinion brakes are quite common on rockwells.
thats crazy. those are sweet
rangerluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #53
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,540
iTrader: (47)
no classes for the smaller tire guys?
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #54
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,135
iTrader: (4)
just because a buggy shows up does not mean they are going to win.have seen alot of top dollar buggy get smoked in the last 3 years...
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #55
buttercr125
I work out
 
buttercr125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Fenton, mi
Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
just because a buggy shows up does not mean they are going to win.have seen alot of top dollar buggy get smoked in the last 3 years...

Very true. I wouldn't care too much if I was to enter a race and there where buggies in the same calss. But i'm sure there are other people out there that might not enter because of it. Just saying it might help get the numbers up.
buttercr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #56
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercr125 View Post
Very true. I wouldn't care too much if I was to enter a race and there where buggies in the same calss. But i'm sure there are other people out there that might not enter because of it. Just saying it might help get the numbers up.
Exactly
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #57
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
just because a buggy shows up does not mean they are going to win.have seen alot of top dollar buggy get smoked in the last 3 years...
I agree, exactly what happened this time. On the first run, he flew through the course but still got beat by the Suzuki. Then on his mulligan run he got hung up and ended up finishing last. But the odds are that a full out rock buggy is going to finish higher 90% of the time. I'm sure some would definitely think twice about entering if they had to run against a buggy.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #58
Mr. Beefy
Randy did it.
 
Mr. Beefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-07
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Posts: 10,086
iTrader: (19)
Meh the buggy's going against a rig on 42's really is just a contest of skill if you ask me. Don't get me wrong if the driver of the buggy has a clue how to drive it he'll win but always gotta factor in "luck" Look at the club challenge we did Paul.

Your team beat the buggy's
__________________

Dakota Truggy Tons and 43's
07 CTD tow pig With the goodies

Thank you to Jeeperz Creeperz Off Road

Cool stuff at Ironman Offroad
Mr. Beefy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #59
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,160
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beefy View Post
Meh the buggy's going against a rig on 42's really is just a contest of skill if you ask me. Don't get me wrong if the driver of the buggy has a clue how to drive it he'll win but always gotta factor in "luck" Look at the club challenge we did Paul.

Your team beat the buggy's
Yeah, you have to be pretty unlucky if you lose in a buggy like that. But the buggy's are narrower (the frame), more ground clearance, lighter and have crazy long travel shocks not to mention they are tube framed so they don't mind bouncing off of trees whereas most guys with full bodied vehicles are at least a little concerned about fenders/hoods and windshield frames.

Kind of like going to a mud bog and you are running in the the 40" and under class. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to run against a nitrous powered big block dedicated drag jeep.

Separate class = more competitors
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #60
supersamikc
Yooper
 
supersamikc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-08-08
Location: Marquette Michigan
Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to supersamikc
what motor was in that buggy?
supersamikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23286 seconds with 51 queries