Scientists confirm biblical story of Moses parting the Red Sea - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Scientists confirm biblical story of Moses parting the Red Sea

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...rpc=22&sp=true

Moses might not have parted the Red Sea, but a strong east wind that blew through the night could have pushed the waters back in the way described in biblical writings and the Koran, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.
__________________
I SHOOT RAW!
---

Exercise your rights! Open Carry!
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

I don't know why scientists are even speculating on something like this...sounds like a waste of time.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Still doesn't explain how Moses knew when this would happen or that it happened at just the right time. :shrug:.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't know why scientists are even speculating on something like this...sounds like a waste of time.
Yeah, Because it has something to do with Religion. :rollseyes:

Why can't they try and Speculate on a natural Phenomenon?
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Read the actual report, the simulation moved land formations and brought the water level down 21ft or so then added a 66mph wind for 12 hrs straight.........yeah ok.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM   #6
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't know why scientists are even speculating on something like this...sounds like a waste of time.
and you claim to be somewhat open minded.

why do "scientists" study psychology or psychiatry? why do paleontologists practice at all - after all everything they study is dead.

the study of fluid dynamics combined with 3 dimensional terrain modeling is actually very valuable in terms of studying flood-plains, watersheds and soil erosion.

to take a few moments to hypothesize and then extrapolate a test scenario based on what some people view as a historical event seems rational enough to me - especially if you consider that the press release on the subject matter will get a LOT of mileage and call attention to their research which undoubtedly is for other purposes. with attention comes grants.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #7
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Yeah, Because it has something to do with Religion. :rollseyes:

Why can't they try and Speculate on a natural Phenomenon?
ok, the scientists are probably right, Nature probably caused the weird occurance in the story(that has no evidence to back up that it happend), not your god. Happy?

Why would you want there to be a natural explanation for an event that you believe to be supernatural????
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM   #8
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
and you claim to be somewhat open minded.

why do "scientists" study psychology or psychiatry? why do paleontologists practice at all - after all everything they study is dead.

the study of fluid dynamics combined with 3 dimensional terrain modeling is actually very valuable in terms of studying flood-plains, watersheds and soil erosion.

to take a few moments to hypothesize and then extrapolate a test scenario based on what some people view as a historical event seems rational enough to me - especially if you consider that the press release on the subject matter will get a LOT of mileage and call attention to their research which undoubtedly is for other purposes. with attention comes grants.
To base a study on a supernatural myth seems unneccesary...
I can see the next story, "Zeus's thunder bolts turn out to actually be lightening caused by nature!!"

when will they start a study on the long extinct flaming, speaking bush?

Last edited by mikesova; September 22nd, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,933
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
when will they start a study on the long extinct flaming, speaking bush?
right after they finish the research about bread falling from heavin.
Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
To base a study on a supernatural myth seems unneccesary...
I can see the next story, "Zeus's thunder bolts turn out to actually be lightening caused by nature!!"

when will they start a study on the long extinct flaming, speaking bush?
did you read what I wrote? more than likely the crux/basis of their work has nothing to do with the press release.

perhaps someone simply had the good sense to realize that a tangential hypothesis test could gather quite a bit of mileage and attention. with modern computing, existing terrain modeling this is a trivial exercise.

With commercial off the shelf GIS Software from ESRI or even AutoDesk it literally would take longer to install the applications and load the data from your preferred vendor than it would to run the simulation.

do you not forget that some of your brethren live for the discovery of scientific "fact" to specifically refute bible, quran or other religious tomes?

buried in there are two fairly specific reasons why a scientist would "waste time speculating" on this.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #11
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
more than likely the crux/basis of their work has nothing to do with the press release.
I hope that's true.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #12
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
ok, the scientists are probably right, Nature probably caused the weird occurance in the story(that has no evidence to back up that it happend), not your god. Happy?

Why would you want there to be a natural explanation for an event that you believe to be supernatural????
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I hope that's true.
Why do you assume that all science can't meld with Religion? It works for me. I don't care if science can prove if it happened or not, It's just nice to know that it IS possible. It's a Cool fact, a neat tidbit, that's all. Your assumption that a scientist can't have religious reasons for finding things shows your inability to understand my faith and that you have, in fact, a closed mind on what Science can be. But because that involves a Religion that you CAN'T quantify you are scared. If I'm a Christian, I'm using anything that is proven scientifically to point to God. "His Divine attributes are found on this planet so men are with out excuse" (My Paraphrase).
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,267
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab View Post
right after they finish the research about bread falling from heavin.
or smoke coming from Mike's butt
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #14
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,584
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Why do you assume that all science can't meld with Religion? It works for me. I don't care if science can prove if it happened or not, It's just nice to know that it IS possible. It's a Cool fact, a neat tidbit, that's all. Your assumption that a scientist can't have religious reasons for finding things shows your inability to understand my faith and that you have, in fact, a closed mind on what Science can be. But because that involves a Religion that you CAN'T quantify you are scared. If I'm a Christian, I'm using anything that is proven scientifically to point to God. "His Divine attributes are found on this planet so men are with out excuse" (My Paraphrase).
I tend to see science and ancient religion* as being the same thing. You take your current knowledge, combine it with new observations, and come up with a theory on how the world works. The problem is that too many people, then and now, want to take the current theory and run with it rather than continuously refining it.

*By “ancient religion” I mean those over about 2000 years old.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM   #15
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Why do you assume that all science can't meld with Religion? It works for me. I don't care if science can prove if it happened or not, It's just nice to know that it IS possible. It's a Cool fact, a neat tidbit, that's all. Your assumption that a scientist can't have religious reasons for finding things shows your inability to understand my faith and that you have, in fact, a closed mind on what Science can be. But because that involves a Religion that you CAN'T quantify you are scared. If I'm a Christian, I'm using anything that is proven scientifically to point to God. "His Divine attributes are found on this planet so men are with out excuse" (My Paraphrase).
Science is a method used to find out things. I am not close minded on what science can be, because I know what it is. Science can be used to show that many of your myths (and every other religion's) have perfectly logical, natural, scientific, non-supernatural explanations. I just find it unnecessary.

It is fun, but I think that since we have limited resources, we should be using science to do things that are helpful. Proving that there are natural explanations for "miracles" is a nice thing to shove in the face of the religious, but is probably not as helpful as say, finding a cure for cancer.

(as rye already stated, this study probably wasn't a religious study, so bad example)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,456
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I like oatmeal.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:37 PM   #17
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I tend to see science and ancient religion* as being the same thing. You take your current knowledge, combine it with new observations, and come up with a theory on how the world works. The problem is that too many people, then and now, want to take the current theory and run with it rather than continuously refining it.

*By “ancient religion” I mean those over about 2000 years old.
Exactly. In a More Liberal View of the genesis story, it could have just been Moses looking around and using stories he was told as a kid to come to a conclusion on the Beginning of the world. This is also why, IMO, that alot of Religions have similar stories if they are in similar regions. That's a Liberal Viewpoint though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Science is a method used to find out things. I am not close minded on what science can be, because I know what it is. Science can be used to show that many of your myths (and every other religion's) have perfectly logical, natural, scientific, non-supernatural explanations. I just find it unnecessary.

It is fun, but I think that since we have limited resources, we should be using science to do things that are helpful. Proving that there are natural explanations for "miracles" is a nice thing to shove in the face of the religious, but is probably not as helpful as say, finding a cure for cancer.

(as rye already stated, this study probably wasn't a religious study, so bad example)
And as Rye also said that they didn't really waste any resources on it because it was a Drop in the bucket to use the program to attain this model. It's essentially a Publicity Stunt.

See you see science as Disproving "miracles" but I see the God's Design in that. Not everything he does is unexplainable or mystical. It's an Act of God for me to help someone with thier groceries but no mystical or Unexplainable-ness there. I just helped them. I accept Science, but I am also comfortable looking to God for the answers to the questions that Science cannot answer.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #18
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Exactly. In a More Liberal View of the genesis story, it could have just been Moses looking around and using stories he was told as a kid to come to a conclusion on the Beginning of the world. This is also why, IMO, that alot of Religions have similar stories if they are in similar regions. That's a Liberal Viewpoint though.



And as Rye also said that they didn't really waste any resources on it because it was a Drop in the bucket to use the program to attain this model. It's essentially a Publicity Stunt.

See you see science as Disproving "miracles" but I see the God's Design in that. Not everything he does is unexplainable or mystical. It's an Act of God for me to help someone with thier groceries but no mystical or Unexplainable-ness there. I just helped them. I accept Science, but I am also comfortable looking to God for the answers to the questions that Science cannot answer.
Is finding a natural explanation for a claimed supernatural event "disproving a miracle"?

Not that it matters, most people aren't convinced of religion by scientific evidence, so providing them with scientific evidence isn't going to cause them to leave religion, either.

Last edited by mikesova; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #19
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Is finding a natural explanation for a claimed supernatural event "disproving a miracle"?

Not that it matters, most people aren't convinced of religion by scientific evidence, so providing them with scientific evidence isn't going to cause them to leave religion, either.
No, it's not disproving a miracle, It is, IMO, confirming it.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM   #20
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
No, it's not disproving a miracle, It is, IMO, confirming it.
really? a natural explanation of a claimed supernatural event (miracle), confirms that the claimed supernatural event is supernatural? Wouldn't, based on definitions, it make the event, natural thus explainable without the need for supernatural/god?

Last edited by mikesova; September 23rd, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33201 seconds with 80 queries