September 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lansing, MI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Message about Michigan’s Recreation Passport
Thought I would pass this along, just got it in my inbox at work.
We are excited to share with you news of the new state of Michigan Recreation Passport – your $10 ticket to Michigan’s great outdoors. Effective Oct. 1, the $10 Recreation Passport replaces the state park sticker (though 2010 Motor Vehicle Permits will be honored through Dec. 31, 2010).
If you like to explore and play in Michigan’s unparalleled natural spaces, the Recreation Passport is for you. Best of all, it’s a win-win situation for everyone. The Recreation Passport:
- Reduces from $24 to $10 ($5 for motorcycles) the annual purchase price for a Michigan-registered vehicle to enter a state park or recreation area;
- Is easy to purchase because you do it when annually renewing your license plate registration;
- Creates a much-needed stable funding source for Michigan’s outdoor recreation facilities and areas, allowing the Department of Natural Resources and Environment to complete repairs and make equipment, facility and program enhancements that will greatly improve the visitor experience;
- Establishes a grant program for local parks to improve their facilities; and
- Provides an easy, low-cost way for residents to help safeguard and strengthen Michigan’s legacy of terrific outdoor recreation opportunities - camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, boating, swimming, riding, skiing, cycling, and so much more!
To get your Recreation Passport, check “YES” on your license plate renewal form. Your $10 gets you into all 98 state parks and recreation areas and state-operated boat launches throughout Michigan. As a bonus, your Recreation Passport purchase will help preserve and maintain:
- 133 state forest campgrounds;
- Nearly 1,000 miles of hiking, biking and skiing trails;
- Historic and cultural sites in state parks; and
- Parks in your own community.
When you check “YES” for the Recreation Passport, your $10 will help keep campgrounds open, trails maintained, and outdoor recreation available for a lifetime of enjoyment. When you check “YES” for the Passport, you’re supporting a more than $1 billion outdoor recreation industry in Michigan and saying “YES” to our state’s remarkable quality of life. Michigan’s Recreation Passport – at just $10, it’s a good deal for you that means a GREAT deal for future generations. Please check “YES” when you renew your license plate for every vehicle, every year.
Where can $10 take you? Find out today!
For more information about the Recreation Passport, please visit www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport or call (517) 241-7275.
Your Colleagues at the Department of Natural Resources and Environment